65 replies to this topic

#31 thien_is_cool

thien_is_cool

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:20 AM

Glad to hear you are OK and that you have the spirit to rebuild it.

To consider this was originally a Mini with its safety standards, having a kit car transformation, engine removed from the front with fibreglass front-end and being untested for crash, I personally would have that thought it would come out worse as many cars don't do very well when it involves a tree.

This is valuable information you are sharing and will definitely help me rethink to improve the safety of my project. From what I can see in this case, the Mini's cabin/cockpit especially along the flimsy floorpan area cannot withstand the forces from the subframe's lower mounts and it being in tubular form (like running into 2 javelins). IMO, the crushing of the front subframe would have helped absorb the impact but maybe we need it to crush at a slower rate? Did the top tower mounts stay intact?

If you are comfortable to, please share with us more photos, specifically the front subframe, mounting points, firewall and floorpan to help us get a better understanding of the failures in these structures.

Best of luck with the rest of your recovery man.

#32 andream88

andream88

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:58 AM

Hi thien_is_cool,

yes, you got it right.
I'm sharing all this just to help the other builders making their cars safer to drive.
I think you are correct in thinking that the floorpan area can't withstand the forces from the subframe's lower mounts. That's the reason why my feet are now broken like that imo.

I'll take a few more detailed pictures asap, the car is currently stored in my shed and i've not yet had the time to inspect it properly.

;)

Edited by andream88, 31 May 2012 - 11:58 AM.

#33 KTM kid

KTM kid

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Local Club: Crews missels

Posted 31 May 2012 - 06:44 PM

A speedy recovery my friend, you have plenty of spirt to rebuild it again. As far as the minis are concerned, they did poorly in crash tests way back in the 70s and not a lot change from that time to 00's when they were last sold. it looks like the frame has absorbed some of the impact of the crash as it has crumpled. I think it would help all to see detailed shots of car and underneth floor pan ect.
I know Chris had a side impact crash at Anglesy race track. and the car was writen off but he got out with bad bruises. So i think it must have some safty designed into it, even if it was on CAD!

#34 thien_is_cool

thien_is_cool

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:06 PM

At your convenience andream88. A possible good indication for the rest of us owners or builders, is whether a front floor bar that links the lower subframe mounts to the front roll-cage mounts was in your kit?

#35 andream88

andream88

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:32 PM

Of course mate.
It was a fully welded race space spaceframe.
The only bolted bars were the front floor one, and the steering column.
All the rest was welded.

Will post better pics asap.

#36 cptkirk

cptkirk

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts
  • Local Club: B.M.C. + Chiminiclub

Posted 01 June 2012 - 10:10 AM

Hey Andrea, firstly let me say that I am glad your not more seriously hurt than you are. I am quite shocked at the way the frame has buckled but considering it hit a very non-moveable object like a tree it could have been worse. I wish you a speedy recovery and best of luck getting it all back together again, maybe this time you can sort the wiring......

#37 andream88

andream88

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 01:27 PM

Hi guys,

i've finally started to repair the car.
i'm dismantling it and will be ordering a new frame kit soon from Chris.

This time i want to start from a British Open chassis (i want the sunroof for summer use), but i remember reading of an issue with the front subframe lower mounting points and metal spacers needed on some specific model years. Can anybody confirm which years should be avoided?

#38 joss

joss

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:18 PM

Hi Andrea

its great your still alive and kicking (soon anyway) I did the same thing just the other month doing only 20km in my hayabusa and that cost me nearly a 1000 euros to put right but but the great thing about the experience is you learn about the car, how it handle and to treat it with respect and you gain lots of followers to get you through those head banging issues. Heres a couple of post depressing photos to make you feel better. I am now going to find a corner and cry uncontrollably maybe you should try it

Attached Files

#39 andream88

andream88

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:11 PM

ahah lol thanks joss.

I wasn't driving the car, it was a friend of mine.
The only (BIG) mistake i did was letting him drive the MINI..

#40 joss

joss

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:33 AM

In life the only thing you can trust is your dog thats if you got one if not a pet snake will suffice

#41 andream88

andream88

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:23 PM

yeah well you live and learn ;)

#42 cptkirk

cptkirk

• Members
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:39 PM

Hey Andrea, good luck with the rebuild, I look forward to seeing the results.

#43 andream88

andream88

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 10:48 PM

Hi guys, long time with no updates.

I started to dismantle the damaged car last year and got in touch with Chris to purchase a new frame, but had to stop due to lack of time.

Got back to work on the project a few weeks ago. Stripped the whole crashed car to the bare frame, and did the same with the new donor car (a British Open - with the sunroof it will be a joy to drive even in the summer!).

I have prepared a list of what i need, planning to order the new kit this week. It will be a race frame (same as my old one) but with a couple reinforcement bars here and there. I won't touch the engine, it already has enough power as is.

Will keep you updated.

Cheers

pzOXHfSl.jpg

jpS4O94l.jpg

ixp1LaZl.jpg

#44 Birdman

Birdman

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 12:05 AM

Good luck with the new car.

#45 cptkirk

cptkirk

• Members
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 02:26 PM

Hey Andrea, good luck getting it sorted.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users