#16 cptkirk

cptkirk

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts
  • Local Club: B.M.C. + Chiminiclub

Posted 14 October 2011 - 07:06 AM

SHYFD - do you have a new steering rack or recon? I ask because once I swapped out my recon for new unit things got a whole lot better, admittedly at the same time I put the spacers in place also so there was lots of changes at one point in time.

#17 shyfd

shyfd

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 07:17 AM

SHYFD - do you have a new steering rack or recon? I ask because once I swapped out my recon for new unit things got a whole lot better, admittedly at the same time I put the spacers in place also so there was lots of changes at one point in time.

The rack that came with my half built project is a NAM5058 from Mini Sport. I take it this was a new rack and I have the receipt for it. The bump steer almost vanished when I added the new ends and spacers.

#18 shyfd

shyfd

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 08:14 PM

Just found a long but good description of Toe, caster and Camber if anyone needs more info.

http://www.ozebiz.co...eory/align.html

#19 cptkirk

cptkirk

• Members
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 07:11 AM

Just found a long but good description of Toe, caster and Camber if anyone needs more info.

http://www.ozebiz.co...eory/align.html

What a good write up, proper english instead of techno jargon.

Edited by cptkirk, 18 October 2011 - 07:12 AM.

#20 Robnut

Robnut

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 03:09 PM

Hi Guys

I have been reading your posts, and your past post Andy. I too have the same high speed wiggle and it puts the living ****s up me so much so as i dont drive fast very often. I did some work on bump steer with a friend of mine and did exactly the thing you guys did. this didnt help me much so I put this down to play in the steering rack. I dont know how much help I can be but would love to bottom this issue so as to get more confidence in the car.

I was also doing some work on the front suspension as it seems that the front shocks are hitting the bump stop ( using cable ties as tell tales) and so am not getting full travel at the front. I also lengthend the rear shocks ( extended top mounts) as i wasnt getting much droop ( oo err missus) at the rear. I will sort out some pics at some point.

This was all done last year but as said not used car much this year and am hoping to get some work done on it later this year ready for next.

#21 andream88

andream88

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 03:17 PM

Has anyone tried setting up the front axle TOE to neutral?
This should help with the bump steer problem further more...without loosing too much turn in speed?

would you all be so kind to share your settings as a starting point for this discussion?

Mine are all ******* up and will need sorting soon.

Edited by andream88, 18 October 2011 - 03:18 PM.

#22 cptkirk

cptkirk

• Members
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 03:36 PM

Mine is currently set to parallel, feels fine.

#23 shyfd

shyfd

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 09:08 PM

Hi Guys

I have been reading your posts, and your past post Andy. I too have the same high speed wiggle and it puts the living ****s up me so much so as i dont drive fast very often. I did some work on bump steer with a friend of mine and did exactly the thing you guys did. this didnt help me much so I put this down to play in the steering rack. I dont know how much help I can be but would love to bottom this issue so as to get more confidence in the car.

I was also doing some work on the front suspension as it seems that the front shocks are hitting the bump stop ( using cable ties as tell tales) and so am not getting full travel at the front. I also lengthend the rear shocks ( extended top mounts) as i wasnt getting much droop ( oo err missus) at the rear. I will sort out some pics at some point.

This was all done last year but as said not used car much this year and am hoping to get some work done on it later this year ready for next.

I think the lack of droop on my rear suspension is causing the knocking I hear. Would be intersted to see a pic of how you have sorted it.

I currently have all toe settings set to -3. Am going to get it set up again at -1.5 i think but after i sort the knocking on the rear.

#24 andream88

andream88

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 09:28 PM

Have you guys tried your car both with and without anti-roll bars on the road?

Mine currently is w/out arbs and it feels totally flat on the corners, i don't feel the need to get them...

what about you?

#25 cptkirk

cptkirk

• Members
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 07:38 AM

I recently had the rear ARB snap and I did take it out withouth the ARB connected and you can definitely feel the difference, if you think yours is flat in the corners without ARB's you should try cornering in my wee beasty

#26 BlueminiJohn

BlueminiJohn

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 21 October 2011 - 03:00 PM

Would putting firmer springs on the front and rear, or just perhaps the rear help things concerning the wiggling back end?
I imagine there wouldn't be as much roll from front to back caused by weight transfer... Just a thought...

#27 shyfd

shyfd

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 05:57 PM

I don't currently have ARB's as I was going to add these at a later date if needed.

My rear springs are 8B 400 whatever that means..

#28 shyfd

shyfd

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 01:57 PM

Took it for a run yesterday with the rear spings slackend off and the rear knocking has gone. Although causes the wheels to rub as its lower.

#29 cptkirk

cptkirk

• Members
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 09:05 AM

I pulled my engine out over the weekend and had a look at the rear arms and it appears to be the inner Rose Joints have worn and it is this that is giving the clunking when I jack the car and check the rear wheels for play.

@ shyfd - when you say you've slackend the springs what do you mean? As in they were done up too tight in the first place or that if you were to jack the car up the spring would not connect with the top plate of the suspension unit??

@ Blueminijohn - this is something I am toying with doing as I feel that the rear end is very soft when going over bumps in a straight line, I need to get a suspension uunit off the back to check the poundage, the front to me doesnt seem too soft, then I will give Protech a call about getting and uprated set of springs.

If i notice anything else whilst I am tinkering I will let you'all know.

Edited by cptkirk, 24 October 2011 - 09:07 AM.

#30 shyfd

shyfd

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 06:32 PM

@ shyfd - when you say you've slackend the springs what do you mean? As in they were done up too tight in the first place or that if you were to jack the car up the spring would not connect with the top plate of the suspension unit??

I had my springs done up so the bottom nut was almost to the top of its thread. Ive slackend it off so the spring is just held in place with a small amount of presure when the car is jacked up. This gives me a small amount of droop and no knocking but rides too low.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users