8 replies to this topic

#1 mgb1978

mgb1978

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 10:01 PM

Hi all, have a 1275 with an Hif38 and electronic Dizzy. As said in Title the car cuts out when stopping. If I keep the choke pulled out 1 notch (high idle) it wont happen.
Definitely carb related as I swapped for an Hif44 from another mini here and it runs perfectly.
What, or where, is the problem with the hif38, Are there any specific checks I can do ? It seems to be just when stopping because when the car cuts out and I restart it, it idles fine while I am still stopped.

#2 strettman

strettman

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 10:03 PM

hi mate,

have you fully topped up the oil in the dash pot?

thanks

#3 mgb1978

mgb1978

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 10:12 PM

Yes, the dashpot oil is fine....although I suppose the dashpot itself could be sticking, or slightly slow to drop down.
It was fine when the car was last used (about 4 weeks ago) but seems to have developed the fault while the mini was parked up !!!

#4 strettman

strettman

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 10:24 PM

does changing the idler screw around help at all? or does it just make it rev higher but still cut out?

thanks

#5 mgb1978

mgb1978

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 12:16 AM

As far as I can remember, increasing the idle did stop it from cutting out.But i will have to check this with my son. I THINK it is probably either a small air leak or the dashpot is slightly sticking.
Any hints or pointers will be gratefully accepted.

#6 minimissions

minimissions

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,427 posts
  • Local Club: M.M.O.C

Posted 02 October 2011 - 07:55 AM

I have the same thing happening on my estate and now the car isnt running but it used to come to every junction or have to stop or slow down for any reason and it would go i was told it could be timing out but i dont no atm the car is currently being looked out?

#7 adam davies

adam davies

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Local Club: South Wales Minis

Posted 02 October 2011 - 12:06 PM

I had this the other week. Found out that my dashpot was sticking so just gave it a top up with some oil and WD40 and it worked a treat

#8 mattbrown

mattbrown

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 04:26 PM

I am having exactly the same problem,

#9 Adamz946

Adamz946

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Local Club: None

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:50 PM

I've got the same problem too, it's very slow to return, however with the piston damper removed it's fine. Initially the car would drop slightly before returning to idle but it got to the point where it would practically stall. I added some oil and WD40 but not much and now it's fine but i'm sure i need to put plenty more oil in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users