780 replies to this topic

#661 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 08:18 PM

Got a new cooly box, Turns out to fit perfectly in the mini's boot with the case I done above. :gimme:.

ft6cIOg.jpg

913MfU4.jpg

Also managed to get my hands on a NOS set of radius arm pins with the metal tubes rather than nylon and rubber covers that will last longer than 3 seconds like the new stuff.

22khxQ0.jpg

#662 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,877 posts
  • Local Club: RAF Mini Club

Posted 04 September 2018 - 08:46 PM

Love the trunk boxes!

#663 minimissions

minimissions

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,427 posts
  • Local Club: M.M.O.C

Posted 05 September 2018 - 05:34 AM

Those boxes are looking nice and tidy in there! I no what your saying about new parts as well things just aren't made how they used to be...

#664 JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,744 posts
  • Local Club: Exmoor Minis

Posted 05 September 2018 - 04:32 PM

Nice :-)

#665 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 08:54 PM

Not a lot has been happening really, been driving it a little bit, went up to castle combe which was a great show once again, only one problem with the ignition switch was a bit temperamental. One I couldn't get any ignition when I stopped of on the way up and then it would randomly miss when driving on the motorway, I managed to just wriggle the wires and it would work again after finding what was causing the problem. I stripped it out tonight and looks like theres just so dirty connection.

NV90vQD.jpg

IERDluj.jpg

6dTc0zt.jpg

NKqEoTf.jpg

p0EQlfU.jpg

Will16's top motorrrrrrr

52hAs3P.jpg

eCD6pVK.jpg

Coopdogs

a41sIie.jpg

4pMzytx.jpg

vD4x0wZ.jpg

b5oXOuD.jpg

Finally got to wash it today after castle combe and getting dusty in the garage and being left in the rain yesterday.

Z24jzoj.jpg

vpUF0EI.jpg

wtwAAdl.jpg

So I did start looking at the gearbox bit's, checking over whats good and bad, I'd thought I had better even after being sent to a gearbox expert.

peel off the new gasket on the speedo drive.

mcorGXl.jpg

To reveal part of the old one... :highfive:

jtxOOq9.jpg

Diff bush measures 26.24, shafts that go through measure 26.12. clearance should be 1 thou (0.025mm) :thumbsup:

xNwT4Rk.jpg

Then the selector forks, The 1st/2nd of them was right on the limit and the 3rd/4th was scrap, luckily I've got a good one from the 3 gearbox I stripped down and will buy a new 1st/2nd as they wear more than the 3rd/4th.

RuBr0pw.jpg

So just need to order bits and then can get cracking with the G/box, Tax runs out on the car the end of the month so will be driving it a bit more if the weathers good and then MOTing it before hand so it's ready for next year ;D

#666 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 10:36 PM

Absolutely love the pressed grille on this,.. Have been considering it on my own mini but wasn't able to find a photo of a saloon with one fitted, until this thread popped up! beautiful car, buddy. looks perfect.

#667 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 07:47 PM

Absolutely love the pressed grille on this,.. Have been considering it on my own mini but wasn't able to find a photo of a saloon with one fitted, until this thread popped up! beautiful car, buddy. looks perfect.

Cheers mate, Yeah the grilles a bit different rather than the usual chrome.

#668 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 11 November 2018 - 08:35 PM

A few things have been done over the past couple of weeks, I took the Mini for an MOT so that it's all ready for next year with the 1293 in it, Only had a few minor issues like the windscreen washer pump wasn't connected and the emissions were 4.57% instead of below 4.5% >_< but that was because it was sitting at the MOT station for a while so I went for a blast and it got it down to 2.8%. 

58X5Bt5.jpg

Then I could sort out the gearbox bits, put in a few orders with mini spares. I got both 1st/2nd and 3rd/4th selector forks in the end and bought a new 3.2 crown wheel and pinion. I'm not the happiest with the quality (once again  :lol: ) as you can see from the photos below

TpG4wsi.jpg

1kKRlDs.jpg

hEIBWBr.jpg

This photo was taken through a microscope

0O5Vksg.jpg

Anyway, I cleaned all the gearbox parts ready for assembly.

AmnHLgq.jpg

I Bead blasted these bits, I just need to push out the old diff cover bushes, put new ones in and bore them out ... more on that in a bit.

RjKoIZm.jpg

Today I started building it up. First up was the levers and forks.

zbnlj2j.jpg

yTXhlh9.jpg

0MW5BOZ.jpg

Put together the synchro hub, I thought it was going to be a bit awkward to get the springs and ball bearings but was easy to do without the proper tools. 

7hvzX2i.jpg

nm0tsbm.jpg

Holding the shaft in a vice, I fitted the split bearing, spring and pins and put the gear on.

vopC5j9.jpg

Then put the locking ring in, in went a new baulkring and tapped the top hat bush with a brass drift.

97HpCWj.jpg

Then the bigger needle bearing and the 1st gear.

zOuN0Tx.jpg

WnJIpyk.jpg

Other split bearing for the 3rd gear and the spring and pin

XXAIcUW.jpg

Then the 3rd gear and locking ring

TcESJIz.jpg

Baulkring

Jy209Y3.jpg

Then put the springs and ball bearings into the other synchro hub.

Xbo4VFJ.jpg

Mum then came into the garage at the perfect time to help fit the bearing on to the 1st motion shaft, which I used a large deep socket and pushed it in with the vice with a piece of aluminium on the jaw so I didn't damage it.

epNz2HK.jpg

All built up.

7ZgghN2.jpg

In went the reverse gear

OgOlvtH.jpg

The new bearings don't come with the snap ring on it so used the one off the original.

b6GGxMy.jpg

Fitted it into the casing and pushed the bearing in as far and square as possible.

89FzFkM.jpg

I made this tool from some scrap aluminium, facing it off, boring it out so it didn't hit on the inner ring and made a cap for the end.

ELuzBwG.jpg

8t3YJxG.jpg

nN1EWsB.jpg

So tapped that in and also the first motion shaft.

Oyu3roQ.jpg

Then I fitted the centre oil pickup and fitted the laygear.

UzAHMEi.jpg

And checked the gap with a feeler gauge, it was all good from the previous build at 4 thou.

Lou47eC.jpg

And that's where I left it for this weekend, I need to order a new speedo drive to suit the new diff ratio and find time to bore out the diff bushes. I made a fixture to hold them in the lathe on Friday so it should be pretty simple to core them out when its set up, I've got 10 of them to do.

BF5H6VZ.jpg

Edited by alex-95, 16 December 2018 - 08:30 PM.

#669 Wiggy

Wiggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 05:52 AM

Great write up and pictures! Gearboxes do look far more intimidating than they really are.

Lovely tools too!

#670 minimissions

minimissions

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,427 posts
  • Local Club: M.M.O.C

Posted 12 November 2018 - 06:51 AM

Absolutely love this little car...

#671 JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,744 posts
  • Local Club: Exmoor Minis

Posted 12 November 2018 - 11:40 AM

Alex, great work once again. Sorry for not remembering but did you start off with a 998 like mine and if so how is the 1293 in comparison. I have an early MG Metro that’s done 55K and was considering boring it to 1293 and fitting it in my Mini. The other option is to take the 998 to 1097 with a Cooper 998 head machined accordingly. Both will cost around £700 just for the machining but I cannot decide which to go with?

Also do you have your own bead blaster setup?

#672 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 07:27 PM

Great write up and pictures! Gearboxes do look far more intimidating than they really are.

Lovely tools too!

Thanks mate, Thats the reason why I sent it off to be rebuild to begin with, They're not that bad really O_O

Absolutely love this little car...

Cheers Mate 

Alex, great work once again. Sorry for not remembering but did you start off with a 998 like mine and if so how is the 1293 in comparison. I have an early MG Metro that’s done 55K and was considering boring it to 1293 and fitting it in my Mini. The other option is to take the 998 to 1097 with a Cooper 998 head machined accordingly. Both will cost around £700 just for the machining but I cannot decide which to go with?

Also do you have your own bead blaster setup?

Cheers mate. Yep had the 998 in and then the 1293 in for 8 miles (due to the gearbox crunching) and now got the 998 back in, From the 8 miles I drove it it was a lot more go-y even compared to the ritz's 998 which is it lot quicker than this one. I would go for the 1293 since you have it already and will cost the same to do. What are you getting for the £700?

I have got my own bead blaster but for the aluminium bits above and the carb body I used the one at work which has fine beads in it and has a lot better extraction.

#673 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,877 posts
  • Local Club: RAF Mini Club

Posted 12 November 2018 - 10:42 PM

Great work with the gearbox!

#674 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 05:15 PM

This weekends work on the gearbox :thumbsup:

hp4ktRZ.jpg

:w00t:  :w00t:  :w00t:

>_<  >_<  >_<

#675 skeebs

skeebs

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 08:25 PM

Great work on the gearbox, did you use glass beads to blast the aluminium gearbox parts?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users