#722 JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts
  • Local Club: Exmoor Minis

Posted 09 May 2019 - 07:22 PM

Alex, just took a screen shot of your engine - for two reasons, (a) I love the colour scheme and may use it and (b) I was about to start a thread to get some help with a Speed problem and the part I need is clearly shown on your engine :-)

Cheers mate, what was the problem you had?

I've got 4 weekend to get it all done and back up and running and hope that it doesn't slip out of fourth gear ready for Beaulieu... 

Speedo not working which is preventing me getting the MOT done. Cable snapped at speedo so I changed it, but cable is not spinning, maybe not fitted in properly at the Gearbox end? 

I'd like to go to Beaulie again but we will have to see.

Hope you get the Gearbox sorted :-)

#723 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 08:25 PM

Epic work, Alex! Shame about the box :(

Cheers mate, yeah bit of a pain  :lol: hopefully will get it sorted this time round >_<

Alex, just took a screen shot of your engine - for two reasons, (a) I love the colour scheme and may use it and (b) I was about to start a thread to get some help with a Speed problem and the part I need is clearly shown on your engine :-)

I've got 4 weekend to get it all done and back up and running and hope that it doesn't slip out of fourth gear ready for Beaulieu... 

Speedo not working which is preventing me getting the MOT done. Cable snapped at speedo so I changed it, but cable is not spinning, maybe not fitted in properly at the Gearbox end? 

Ah right that's annoying, it is a bit of a fiddly job when everything in.

Might see you there again then.

Me to :lol:  

#724 andyt

andyt

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts
  • Local Club: cooper register

Posted 13 May 2019 - 12:32 PM

Hi Alex the car is looking very good!
What did AC do to the engine regarding needle and timing?

Cheers Andy.

#725 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 06:06 PM

Hi Alex the car is looking very good!
What did AC do to the engine regarding needle and timing?

Cheers Andy.

Cheers.

He checked that the timing was correct, it was spot on 10 degrees at 900 rpm and fully advanced was 30 degrees across the rev range as AC Dodd has re-curved my Dizzy for me, it was 17 degrees from factory and he set it to 10.5 degrees. He used a lambda sensor in the exhaust so that he could tell if it's running lean or rich. Mine was very lean as I had a lean needle fitted for running it in. He then polishes the needle diameter to let more fuel through, fits it and then rechecks until the mixture is correct across the rev range. He also checks the carb piston drop and puts in the correct dash pot oil to suit the carb, mine had automatic transmission fluid to get the correct response, My 998 that was in the car previously had 10w40 when AC Dodd tuned it 2 years ago.

#726 JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts
  • Local Club: Exmoor Minis

Posted 13 May 2019 - 06:24 PM

Cheers mate, yeah bit of a pain  :lol: hopefully will get it sorted this time round >_<

Good news - Speedo fixed, had to disconnect the top plate where the speedo connects to the gearbox to get the round speedo threaded cap on.

Bad news - son's future inlaws have planned to visit us same weekend as Beaulieu - oh well IMM it is then :-)

#727 andyt

andyt

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 09:14 PM

Thanks Alex, what needle do you have in yours? i too have had my dizzy re curved by AC but i have been struggling to set the mixture anywhere near correct i have a BCE needle at the moment but may try a BDL which i have.

AC lives in Salisbury which isn't to far from me and i was wondering if he did individual tuning?

Cheers Andy.    

#728 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 09:48 PM

Good news - Speedo fixed, had to disconnect the top plate where the speedo connects to the gearbox to get the round speedo threaded cap on.

Bad news - son's future inlaws have planned to visit us same weekend as Beaulieu - oh well IMM it is then :-)

Thats good, not a difficult fix then.

Oh damn >_<

Thanks Alex, what needle do you have in yours? i too have had my dizzy re curved by AC but i have been struggling to set the mixture anywhere near correct i have a BCE needle at the moment but may try a BDL which i have.

AC lives in Salisbury which isn't to far from me and i was wondering if he did individual tuning?

Cheers Andy.    

I had a BDL in mine but then AC took (I think) 0.25mm off the diameter. Looking on minty lamb BCE is very slightly smaller diameter and richer than the BDL. 

Have a look on minty lamb here ---> http://www.mintylamb.co.uk/suneedle/

He did say he would do individual tuning, or if you could get together a few others then it would work out cheaper. Send him a PM. Just make sure everything is in good condition such as the spark plugs and most importantly the carb, if it's unknown then may be worth rebuilding before hand.

#729 andyt

andyt

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 09:16 AM

Thanks Alex, I'll PM him and see what he says, carb was rebuilt with su kit including spindle bushes and seals.

#730 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 07:20 PM

So last weekend the engine came back out, gearbox off and stripped down. Before stripping it I checked the position where it went into gear and took another gearbox off a 1275 and compared it, both were pretty much the same just the synchro hub didn't cover the 4th gear on the 1293 as much as the 1275 so something was wrong. Unfortunately most parts from the 1275 G/Box was scrap as well as the casing unless I machine it.

1st problem was the moly surface was no more.

g0hx4QI.jpg

2nd problem was the Idler gear shat it self causing a bit of damage O_O

LJLE6zI.jpg?1

9sbFwAO.jpg

EhpHeta.jpg

I made a tool for removing the first motion bearing so I didn't damage it.

xjt6R7f.jpg

1tYLzx7.jpg

yNcj6M5.jpg

also made a 1st motion shaft puller.

8FEWuvP.jpg

tPfOKrq.jpg

I ended up changing a few bits on the G/box, first was the 1st motion/4th gear as slipping out of gear caused damage to the little teeth, I out of the 6 gearboxes I've stripped I had one usable one >_<. The next thing was the selector levers, they had a lot of slack in them, I could move it up and down quite a bit, measuring the height of the pivot bush and then the lever assembly there was 0.45mm difference, measuring another one there was 0.25mm so swapped parts around to get about 0.1mm of difference between them. I then had to change my brand new selector fork, holding the G/box in 4th seems to have worn it quite a bit, luckily I had a good spare. Also a the reverse gear wasn't very pointy so found a better one.

It's all back together now and ready to be fitted to the engine, I've got an oil leak from the timing cover but need to get a new gasket that's 0.7mm thick rather than 0.4mm which I have about 7 of >_<.

H9JQXmm.jpg

JxRNdDR.jpg

The cardboard box with all the gears in at the bottom of the photo is all scrap >_<, 5 X 1st motion shafts, 5 X reverse gears and loads of 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears.

Q1rzqBh.jpg

#731 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 07:16 PM

So the engine went back together

m56uULH.jpg

Back in the car and took it for a test drive, Fortunately it doesn't slip out of fourth gear anymore, unfortunately it crunches into second :cry: I thought I fitted a better baulkring but maybe not, Either that or the selector levers are too tight?

xBGyJaL.jpg

Had to get the wheels re-tracked, which was a pain as no-one local had gauges to fit 10's anymore.

jiQHV1D.jpg

Drove it around a bit.

8p0APNp.jpg

5pl3HCC.jpg

3OBSpAw.jpg

Then made the trip up to Beaulieu mini cooper day last sunday, The mini went very well apart from the 2nd gear crunch and the temperature rising quite quickly when stuck in traffic so I'll fit an electric fan. 

TZyhtVp.jpg

fqFyj4h.jpg

wlnBo8V.jpg

HEN5gQr.jpg

m8TKecH.jpg

mB98UMK.jpg

B00heTp.jpg

XFkatXZ.jpg

QasRfWi.jpg

u3lMZwi.jpg

5hkbUBM.jpg

ZKdTeyV.jpg

#732 blueovalcraig

blueovalcraig

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 08:03 PM

Absolutely stunning mate

#733 andyt

andyt

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 09:16 PM

Did you stop off at Sammie Millers Museum too? I also went to Beaulieu it was very good as usual, i did see you Alex with the bonnet up just as i was leaving! 

It must be quite a trip from Cornwall, very nice car a real credit to you.

#734 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 06:15 PM

Absolutely stunning mate

Cheers  :thumbsup:

Did you stop off at Sammie Millers Museum too? I also went to Beaulieu it was very good as usual, i did see you Alex with the bonnet up just as i was leaving! 

It must be quite a trip from Cornwall, very nice car a real credit to you.

Yeah drove up on saturday. Yeah was a good show again, bit of a rubbish layout IMO. Oh right, I must have been at the car as I didn't leave the bonnet open unattended :lol: I didn't spot yours.

Yeah about 3 1/2 to 4 hours but wasn't that bad. I got back about 8.15 and my ears were still ringing from the noise at 11 o'clock  >_<.  Cheers

#735 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 08:02 PM

The weekend after the last post the engine bay looked like this ... Again. Driving it was just going to damage 2nd gear so took it out.

wMblJJn.jpg

Then the next weekend I rebuilt the gearbox again, fixed a silly mistake with the help of mokespider and refitted the engine.

xYySmnc.jpg

I made some brackets to bolt an electric fan to the inner wing to aid cooling when sitting in traffic ... hopefully ... still need to try it out, it doesn't seem to stop any flow from the mechanical fan.

FIlAD9q.jpg

7E9x0Wz.jpg

I had to re-route my fresh air vent for the passenger side, With the van grille on you can't have the standard saloon air intake so I made my own that goes under the front valance.

prZmXfB.jpg

Oh and drove it, all the gears are good now, just need to sort out the vibrations when going around 70mph  >_<

yAwojvX.jpg

1IxAUXC.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users