• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Local Club: BOGMOG

Posted 09 June 2016 - 05:14 PM

So, a summed up bit of the last week or two:

Got the rear subby off (again)

IMG_5182.jpg

Repaired the snapped stud. Seen a few ways to do it but made a stud M8 to M10. I know i know, metric and all that.

M8 was to go into the snapped stud on the subframe. Did this by machining a jig to locate the drill dead centre (5mm) then drilled out to 6.9 to tap to M8.

Worked well in my opinion, although not the full repair i've seen some do with a whole new plate and machined stud all welded in.

IMG_5219.jpg

IMG_5218.jpg

IMG_5217.jpg

Then stuck it in the shot blaster and its getting powdercoated as well speak/as i type?

anyway, overhauling the radius arms while i wait and got another order in with minispares for the poly mounts etc.

IMG_5216.jpg

Edited by chrisn89, 09 June 2016 - 05:15 PM.

#47 chrisn89

chrisn89

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 10:59 AM

While waiting for the powder coating gave the radius arms a once over and fitted new wheel bearings. Only thing left for the back now is the drums which will have to wait for payday. Expensive progression at the moment

Attached Files

Edited by chrisn89, 13 June 2016 - 11:00 AM.

#48 chrisn89

chrisn89

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 08:17 PM

Subframe came out well and is now mounted. Had a game on doing it by myself so the radius arms will have to wait I'll tomorrow. Coming on though.

Attached Files

#49 chrisn89

chrisn89

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 07:37 PM

Subframe back on, had to tap out the threads as the powdercoater ever so kindly removed the bolts i left in to keep the threads clean

1.jpg

Then got the radius arms on and i think its looking in pretty good shape

2.jpg

3.jpg

Out of cash now so i'm stuck until i can get the rear drums and dampers bought but thats a £300 bill im not looking forward to. needs must.

#50 chrisn89

chrisn89

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 05:33 PM

IMG_5238.jpg

Well These are pretty, cars back on the deck now and barring some brake and fuel pipes the underneath is done, turning my attention to brace bars to get the flip front on next.

Chris

#51 chrisn89

chrisn89

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 03:43 PM

So picked this up again, made some brace bars in the mean time which i havent taken a picture of to stick on yet. Mounted the starter solenoid and brake limiter to it keeping the engine bay tidy-ish. 

finished seam sealing, stone chipping and undersealing the bottom of it so the exhaust and gear linkage has gone back on. Brake and fuel lines need putting in properly and its all on the top half now. 

IMG_5641.jpg

IMG_5643.jpg

#52 chrisn89

chrisn89

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 04:00 PM

So since the last one, fuel pumps in and plumbed to the tank and all brake lines etc are in. 

Battery is now wired and got her running on a makeshift loom just to get the thing running again.

Also got the recaros mounted and the front end on. But, because there's always a but with these things isn't there, I've ordered a metal front.

Not particularly happy with the fibreglass front end after mounting it and trying to trim and fit things so the proper way it is.

Feeling like having a little push to get it on the road as once the front end is on there's not a lot in the way of stopping it being road legal.

#53 chrisn89

chrisn89

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 04:25 PM

IMG_7679.jpg

IMG_7678.jpg

#54 Nossedout

Nossedout

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 05:35 AM

Looking Good!!!!

#55 chrisn89

chrisn89

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 08:04 PM

IMG_7746.jpg

Managed to get half an hour to try all of the heritage gear on that turned up from minispares.

#56 reez1891

reez1891

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 08:58 PM

Hi, I'm loving your clubby estate project! I'm just embarking on one myself, although a garage is doing the body work for me. I'm converting to a round nose front end though. I live in the British Virgin Islands, my 1979 mini got destroyed in hurricane Irma, so we are re-shelling her. I'm having the shell restored and painted, then we'll ship it to the BVI and rebuild the car ourselves from there.

#57 chrisn89

chrisn89

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 09:26 AM

Sorry I did reply to this but it can’t have posted!
Thanks for having a look. Although it isn’t to the standard of some of the guys on here. Having a bit push to get it a bit closer to being on the road at the moment. I’ll have to keep checking for posts from yourself on how that resto is going.

Edited by chrisn89, 27 May 2018 - 09:26 AM.

#58 reez1891

reez1891

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 12:11 AM

Bodywork has finally started, so I'll start a thread of my own once I get a few more photos from the garage. Currently working on getting a list of estate specific bits, as we will be rebuilding from a saloon into the new estate shell. Hopefully we'll be able to ship the shell and all the bits in August, sop that we can start the rebuild in September when it is quiet here.

#59 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 01:32 PM

just read this all the way through as I'd missed it before - great job, like the silver engine paint - first time I've seen one that colour.

#60 chrisn89

chrisn89

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 05:46 PM

Had a nightmare getting one of the heritage wings to fit but gotten there in the end.
Bit more welding to do along the inner and that’s the front sorted.
I’ll have a push to get it ready for paint and see how I get on.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users