3 replies to this topic

#1 Alex1380

Alex1380

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 08:08 PM

hi-lows, best ones to buy? what shocks? and are they easy to fit? trying to borrow a cone compressor to help me with the job. please give tips.
thanks
Alex.

#2 bluebottle

bluebottle

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 09:26 PM

i would definately recommend the proper hi-lo's as sold by minispares or ripspeed, or maybe the adjusta rides that minisport do.

the hilos have a drain hole in them to let water out, and are made of better quality material.

i used to have a set of the cheap nasty turned aluminium ones, they rusted solid within 6 months, so i had to bin them, total waste of money!

#3 Bluemini

Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,436 posts
  • Local Club: Blacktop Bombers

Posted 08 May 2004 - 08:34 AM

I would say go for the cheap Hi-Lo's, I had a set that i got for £35 and they never let me down once. Before I fitted them, I gave the threads a good coat of copper grease so they wouldnt seize up and they were brilliant.

As for shocks, you pay for what you get. It depends on what type of shock and how much money you have. My personal preferance is GAZ adjustables, I have tried Spax and Koni, but found Gaz to give the best ride quality and you can fine tune them better. If you can afford them, AVO's are very good too but a little more pricey than the others.

If you are fitting Hi-Lo's then buy a set of lowerred ride height shocks, they are the same price as standard height, but slightly shorter to stop them bottoming out when you have lowerred your car.

And if you cant afford any of the above, then go for a set of the 20% uprated shocks, they are ok, giving a fairly good ride at an affordable price, but you dont get the adjustability for fine tuning...

#4 Brawlyrox

Brawlyrox

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,066 posts
  • Local Club: Cornish MOC

Posted 08 May 2004 - 08:59 AM

Good advice rich.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users