#1 zebidee

zebidee

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 07:10 PM

Hello all,

Pulled my engine apart this weekend to start my new build to find, what I think, is a linered block. I'm not sure, since I've had any other engines apart before to compare it with, am I right in thinking these are liners?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Also, I've been trying to identify it for a while now. I know it's a 1275cc, but the engine code riveted to the block doesn't match anything (I've tried Guessworks database). It's VG4128 307615. Anyone seen a similar one?

#2 MRA

MRA

Previously known as 'mra-minis.co.uk'.

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,607 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 07:23 PM

Yes they are liners, if fitted correctly then they are fine for reasonable power outputs, however you cannot rebore them and you probably won't know why they where fitted in the first place....

1) To bring the old engine back on standard
2) Because the block is porous....
3) Because the engine was destined for a race Mini and liners offer reduced friction :)

Edited by mra-minis.co.uk, 13 October 2011 - 07:24 PM.

#3 zebidee

zebidee

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 07:25 PM

Yep there liners, if your gonna use them for any sort of performance engine, get 'em welded in they can't move then. But obviously will need reboring afterwards. Obviously not something your gonna be able to do in the garage with a mig, it will need to be done properly. So probably cheaper for you to find another block.

Thanks! Yep, it's going to be a performance engine, so new block it is. I was planning on over boring the engine, and I guess you can't do any off-centre bores with liners fitted so does this mean that, dependant on the thickness of the liners, you're limited to a 1293?

Yes they are liners, if fitted correctly then they are fine for reasonable power outputs, however you cannot rebore them and you probably won't know why they where fitted in the first place....

1) To bring the old engine back on standard
2) Because the block is porous....
3) Because the engine was destined for a race Mini and liners offer reduced friction :)

3 is interesting! If then you were doing a slight over bore is it wise to have a block linered

Edited by zebidee, 13 October 2011 - 07:28 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users