#1 ZKruly87

ZKruly87

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Wips

Posted 20 October 2011 - 03:33 PM

Just wondering how you guys have gone about settin up the wiring on you R1 engines. Specifically what are the Pro-Motive guys doing. I have kit #45 and will be putting it in my mini here pretty soon (yes I am going to make a build thread).

And also if anyone has one or know someone who has one- I need the connector that plugs into the back of the clocks on a 2002-2003 5PW. The one on the wiring loom that came with my engine was busted and would like to replace it to keep all the wiring clean. I've called about 20 breakers and no one has one.

#2 Aceslow

Aceslow

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 07:16 PM

Full R1 harness.. I lengthened all the wires and put mating plugs so the R1 harness plugs into the rear mini harness. I had to add a circuit for the stereo and wipers(had an old harness kicking around so I gutted the part from that one). I also made my own headlight harness and stripped the R1 harness of anything else I was not using. This was on my first R1 mini. When I do this one I will document it all.

As for the connector try a Yamaha dealer. If not send me a picture of it and I will see if I can find you a part number for the connector(I do this a lot for my job)

#3 ZKruly87

ZKruly87

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 10:36 AM

afraid a picture probably wont help mate. not enough of the connector left to really get a good picture. I called the stealerships yesterday. best they could do was an entire wire harness for 479 quid. little steep for what i need. Do you happen to know if any other Yamaha bikes might have the same connector? it seems that all the breakers in england are fresh out of 2002-2003 R1's right now

#4 Aceslow

Aceslow

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 01:33 PM

I believe that the the R6's have the same connector(I think they use mostly the same harness) See if any of the breakers have a 02-03 R6. I'm going to do some digging and see if I can find the connector end. Are all of the pins good in whats left of the connector. If you can, pop the back off the gauges and see if there is anything stated on the receiving end of the connector. From there it should be easy as pie to track one down.

#5 Aceslow

Aceslow

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 01:42 PM

http://jezoo.en.alib..._connector.html

best I could do with what I have. Order the samples as they are normally free and see if they fit.

#6 ZKruly87

ZKruly87

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 01:02 AM

good find with that link. I will look through and see if i can find something close. as far as the pins on my loom they are all still good. so once i get a new connector i can repin it really easily. and good call on checking the clocks. i will pull them apart now and see if i can find a number.

Really appreciate all the help
Zach

#7 racerlike

racerlike

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 07:35 PM

Glad someone else is trying this as I've not managed to figure mine out yet.
I'm using the 02/03 R6 clocks which are the same except for the tacho scale. Got my R1 harness off eBay but they don't come up often and can be expensive. As far as I'm aware you can mix and match the harness and clocks for either the R1 or 6 of the same year.

Can't quite grasp wiring it into the minis ignition though so progress on it has ground to a holt.

Try the guys at Yorkshire engine supplies. He got me clocks and partial harness among other bits I was missing off the original engine

Edited by racerlike, 22 October 2011 - 07:35 PM.

#8 Aceslow

Aceslow

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 09:10 PM

Can't quite grasp wiring it into the minis ignition though so progress on it has ground to a holt.

Are you using a push button or just turn the key to start it? Let me know. I can help you out either way.

#9 ZKruly87

ZKruly87

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 12:22 AM

I have heard some good things about Yorkshire Engine Supllies. I think i will give them a ring on Monday see if they can help. If the R6 connector is indeed the same one then I already know of a few places that have the whole loom for sale if I need to go that route. I have also started looking for another complete MPI loom that i can chop up and rewire with the R1 wiring. I figure that will be easier than waiting until I pull the loom out of the mini and chop up that one. I plan on driving my mini up until the day the R1 engine is actually ready to go in.

Edited by ZKruly87, 23 October 2011 - 12:23 AM.

#10 racerlike

racerlike

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 07:52 AM

Yeh they are good and I found them very helpful.

I'm using the key start ignition - My old wiring was a mess so I had a new one made up by Autosparks based on a MKIV loom. Three wires from the ignition - live, cranking and earth.
Managed to wire everything else up ok it's just integrating the clocks into the mini loom. I know which wire is which leading into the clocks as I have a diagram so it should be obvious....

#11 ZKruly87

ZKruly87

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 10:28 AM

bump. Anyone else have any more insight on this? I am Pro-Motive kit #45. That means that in theory there are 44 other people out there that might have something to share.

#12 ZKruly87

ZKruly87

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 04:20 PM

So I called Yorkshire Engines and they have exactly what i need in stock. Apparently all 1998-2008 R1 & R6 use the same connector. Just wish I could have found out about this info a little while ago. Still looking for a good MPI loom though

#13 roofless

roofless

Sticker Pimp

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,215 posts
  • Local Club: central minis

Posted 24 October 2011 - 06:08 PM

just found this.....sounds like you are on the right path....Malc at Yorkshire engines is a legend !
I made life easy for myself and had Phil at pro-mo prep my loom for me.....so much easier !....and then John from COVICS did the final connections.
I'd have been totally lost otherwise >.<

#14 Helldriver

Helldriver

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 10:42 PM

R1 5pw
my loom supplied with the Engine has an 8 bin Blue Connector (cable colour brown, red/white, green/yellow, blue and black,black,red, black), what is that connector for and where do the cables go. My electric plan of the 5pw shows only a blue 6 pin connector, cable colors don't fit.

Also the red 4-pin connectors the cable color doesn't fit, I have blue/red, black, blue, blue/yellow. What is the connector for and where do the cable go?
Thank you

Edited by Helldriver, 18 December 2014 - 10:43 PM.

#15 racerlike

racerlike

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 09:38 PM

Cant remember without my loom in front of me but I got to grips with the electrics from this website, so you may also find it useful
http://www.robcollin.../electrics.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users