#1 disasterbus

disasterbus

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Local Club: Surrey Hills Mini Group

Posted 24 October 2011 - 08:02 PM

Hoping someone can help me out with some advice on the value of my Mini?

It’s a 1970 Mini Clubman Estate, and had just passed it’s MOT, so has 11.5 months MOT remaining plus 11 months (free) tax.

The car was owned by the same chap from new in April 1970 until March 2010, but he gave up driving in 2002 and the car sat unused in his garage for 8 years. He then sold it to the son of one of his friends and that guy re-commissioned it and got it MOT’d in September 2010 which is when I bought it. So, it’s 41 years old but I’m only the 3rd owner. Mileage is 68k which I’d like to think is genuine but I can’t prove it as the old boy who had it first didn’t pass on any paperwork when he sold it.

I bought it for my 17 year old son as classic car insurance was way cheaper than insurance for some naff euro-box. I’ve also got a 2000 Cooper which is my pride and joy and I’m pleased to say my son has got the Mini bug too now. So much so that he wants to buy a Mini Van a friend of mine is selling.

But first I need to know what I can get for the Clubby Estate.

It’s a 1970 model, so the first year they were made and I guess it’s one of the oldest ones still on the road. It’s absolutely solid and rust free but has obviously been touched up in places over the years. It’s got a monster stereo as well but that will be coming out. The original owner also fitted ancillary dials – rev counter, oil pressure, water temperature etc

In the last 12 months it’s had:
· New fuel tank and fuel lines
· New exhaust
· New brake drums and shoes front and back
· New copper and flexi brake lines
· New handbrake cables and mechanism
· Converted from dynamo to alternator
· New CV boots
· New A post on drivers side (it had rotted around the hinges causing the door to drop)
· New A panel on driver’s side
· New wheel cylinder
· New clutch master cylinder
· New track rod ends
· New front and rear shocks
· New steering column bushes
· New choke cable
· New radius arm kits
· New windscreen washer pump
· New wheel arches (plastic ones – I’m not keen on them to be honest!)
New black / silver number plates

There is a small tear in the passenger seat but the front and rear seats are original and the sliding windows open fine etc
The bodywork is solid and presentable but the replacement A panel hasn’t yet been painted and there is some filler in the front wings I think.

It has 12” minilights at the moment but comes with the original 10” rostyle wheels.

I’ve seen these being advertised at anything from £500 to £6000, can someone give us a guide on the value for ours, then I’ll know if buying the Mini van my son wants is viable.

Many thanks!!

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 stevedx

stevedx

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,311 posts
  • Local Club: brighton mini club

Posted 25 October 2011 - 09:29 AM

oh no, I cant believe your selling.

That was the one you beat me too on ebay.

#3 disasterbus

disasterbus

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 09:32 AM

it might not happen - if I do sell it will only be because I bought this...........
Posted Image

#4 stevedx

stevedx

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,311 posts
  • Local Club: brighton mini club

Posted 25 October 2011 - 02:45 PM

pm me what you are wanting for it

#5 JustSteve

JustSteve

Puke-Boy!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 03:59 PM

I'd be VERY interested :shifty:

p.s. I reckon t's probably only worth scrap value, would you take 100 and a crate of beers?

#6 Shifty

Shifty

Sponsored by Fosters (tm)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,129 posts
  • Name: Sean
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 25 October 2011 - 04:09 PM

Not sure I should be doing this, I don't have a good record with valuing clubby estates!!

Looks a nice little thing and would look a load better wihout the add ons.

12" rims do nothing for it and the 10's would make it look a different car.

Does it have proper sills or oversills fitted?

If you can make it look more original or period then £2-£2.2k should be achieveable(assuming proper sills are fitted). If I were buying it and it had oversills then I'd knock £400 off the price.

#7 disasterbus

disasterbus

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 05:28 PM

Not sure I should be doing this, I don't have a good record with valuing clubby estates!!

Looks a nice little thing and would look a load better wihout the add ons.

12" rims do nothing for it and the 10's would make it look a different car.

Does it have proper sills or oversills fitted?

If you can make it look more original or period then £2-£2.2k should be achieveable(assuming proper sills are fitted). If I were buying it and it had oversills then I'd knock £400 off the price.

thank you for the advice - it's roughly what I thought (or hoped), I promise not to get cross and go in for random abuse if I don't like anyone's opinion :D

#8 disasterbus

disasterbus

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 12:57 PM

it might not happen - if I do sell it will only be because I bought this...........
Posted Image

Looks like the clubman estate will be up for sale - sad to be selling but the next Mini will hopefully make it worthwhile.

I'll PM the people who expressed an interest - otherwise stand by for fresh photos and a for sale ad. :gimme:

#9 E.L.M.O

E.L.M.O

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 02:23 PM

Those white walls are horrid IMO! what brakes does it have fitted?
Id value it between £1800 and £2200. Maybe a few hundred more because of the tax excempt.

Personally id advertise it at £2800 and go from there, allowing them to talk you down to the agreeable price, but i wouldnt expect the price of £2800 would scare many serious buyers off.

#10 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,899 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 27 October 2011 - 03:09 PM

I would say you would get £2k all day long and maybe a few hundred more. I paid £2k for my 36 year old Clubman so with yours being tax exempt and providing there are no serious issues then happy days.

I must say the white walls don't do it for me but its still a nice car and if my wife would let me have another i would be interested. (She would kill me)

Good luck with selling it i'm sure you will move it on quickly.

#11 E.L.M.O

E.L.M.O

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 03:49 PM

is this also the one that a teacher used to own and one day they cramed it full with school kids to see how many the could get in it? (if i remember rightly it was strictly all for fun and above board and nothing dodgey about it at all!)

#12 disasterbus

disasterbus

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 11:05 PM

Those white walls are horrid IMO! what brakes does it have fitted?
Id value it between £1800 and £2200. Maybe a few hundred more because of the tax excempt.

Personally id advertise it at £2800 and go from there, allowing them to talk you down to the agreeable price, but i wouldnt expect the price of £2800 would scare many serious buyers off.

The whitewalls were a case of nescessity at the time - the original 10" rostyles had terrible old tyres on and the 12" mini lights had almost new tyres on so as my son was driving it, it seemed sensible to put them on.
It is having the (refurbished) 10" rostyles put back on with new tyres before going up for sale, plus having some of the 70's extras removed for a more 'stock' look :D

is this also the one that a teacher used to own and one day they cramed it full with school kids to see how many the could get in it? (if i remember rightly it was strictly all for fun and above board and nothing dodgey about it at all!)

not that I know of!! - Original owner was a retired old boy but he hadn't driven it since 2002

#13 AdsMarshy27

AdsMarshy27

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Local Club: BMC & Geeks 'n' Freaks

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:09 PM

are you still wanting to sell @MiniMad

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users