#1 Magnetagz

Magnetagz

Formally know as MagnetizedMINI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 07:20 PM

Hello all,

I've floated around the forum for a while now without doing much, but around 5 weeks ago I purchased a little classic Mini van and the adventure begun!
I've named her Toria and in these 5 weeks we've already had lots of ups and downs, I get people pointing waving and even stopping in the road to ask if I'd sell her but then I've had 2 breakdowns in 2 weeks in the exact same spot of the M1; The joys of classic Mini ownership ;-).

The van needs alot of work body wise, the last person to restore it has pretty much ruined it by rushing every job, the A-panels aren't square so the doors don't line up, the rear doors have been badly reskinned so they need fixing, the list goes on but I'm determined to get her back to her best.
I thought I would get a thread started so you guys can follow the progress and so I can ask for help and advice when it goes horrifically wrong ;-).
So far this is what I have done:
Removed spotlights
Rewired ruined electrics
Replaced ignition system
Replaced clutch and components
Replaced bucket seats with normal seats
Tidied up dash area and painted dash and roof matt black (temporary fix)
New steering wheel boss to stop wobbling and repaired indicator self-cancel
Fitted new fuel sender in tank
Tuned carb (was running VERY rich)
Replaced all door handles
Stripped doors door to repair window catches and wing mirrors
Fitted fog light

All this is just little stuff really so its drivable (or looks nice :D), the major work is yet to come and I'll remember to get more of the technical photos.

Here are some pictures I have took over the 5 weeks from the day I picked her up right up to today:

IMG_1279-1.jpg
IMG_1280-1.jpg
IMG_3114.jpg
303019_10150903210645122_679350121_21868

Edited by Magnetagz, 28 October 2015 - 10:04 PM.

#2 muddd001

muddd001

TMFs Calender King

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 07:30 PM

remember the advert for this on TMF

#3 Magnetagz

Magnetagz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 07:35 PM

remember the advert for this on TMF

Thats right, but you won't recognise it soon :D

#4 scotty_1987

scotty_1987

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts
  • Local Club: MiniBallers

Posted 01 November 2011 - 07:41 PM

nice van mate..but personally i would lose the stripes....change wheels and arches but looks alright good luck with it :proud:

#5 megamini_jb

megamini_jb

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,491 posts
  • Name: Jamie

Posted 01 November 2011 - 07:41 PM

Looks well nice. At least them orange seats have gone. I remember seeing it at IMM09 :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

#6 Magnetagz

Magnetagz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 07:50 PM

nice van mate..but personally i would lose the stripes....change wheels and arches but looks alright good luck with it :proud:

Yeah the stripes are going, it's going to be grey/black eventually. The arches might me staying yet if they can be worked into my design but going for old school wheels.

Looks well nice. At least them orange seats have gone. I remember seeing it at IMM09 :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Yeah the seat had to go, Thanks for the pics! really odd to see it there and not in the garage :)

Edited by MagnetizedMINI, 01 November 2011 - 08:02 PM.

#7 muddd001

muddd001

TMFs Calender King

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 08:40 PM

Yeh hope you have lost those massive headlamps forever, yeh get some nice retro wheels on there get rid of the stripe and it will look a lot better

#8 scotty_1987

scotty_1987

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts
  • Local Club: MiniBallers

Posted 01 November 2011 - 10:54 PM

ye man the arches dont really bother me there alright just need better wheels as you say! :D
good luck with it anyways

#9 Body stylist

Body stylist

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 08:57 AM

I saw this/you? in the M1 services at silverstone exit on 15th Oct, you cant park for **** ;) but if you where broke down, ill let you off :)

#10 Magnetagz

Magnetagz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:05 PM

I saw this/you? in the M1 services at silverstone exit on 15th Oct, you cant park for **** ;) but if you where broke down, ill let you off :)

Hahaha yep, that was breakdown number 1. The clutch had locked solid and I had to stall it there as it was. was there for 4 hours with lots of people giving drity looks ;)

Edited by MagnetizedMINI, 02 November 2011 - 12:06 PM.

#11 rsroadkilla

rsroadkilla

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Local Club: Japshowcarz

Posted 13 November 2011 - 06:50 PM

Van looks great!!!

I really like the wheels too!

Makes a nice change to see something a bit different from the usual mini lights!!

#12 1380roadmini

1380roadmini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 08:54 PM

nice van this, keep up the good work, the wheels and stripes set off the blue paint well

#13 Magnetagz

Magnetagz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 11:30 PM

Ok heres a quick update on the van, I have managed to source a new rear door and two front doors all solid and in great condition, I also managed to get hold of a Mk1 grille, just need to get the surround.
I got rid of the carpet in the back and got a laminate floor down, really makes a difference and with the left over boards I made a dash self.
I've also bought a heater finally, at first I thought it would be ok but the morning are getting rediculously cold!
I have done alot of work under the bonnet and all the problems seem to be sorted, she made it from Coventry up to Leed and back with no issues at all, was chuffed to bits.
Won't be long before I have all the replacement parts and the major work can begin!

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Had the lads round for a 'Sunday tinker' :D
Posted Image

Edited by MagnetizedMINI, 03 December 2012 - 07:22 PM.

#14 Mini-Mad-Craig

Mini-Mad-Craig

Crazy About Metro's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,298 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 11:58 PM

Mk1 Grille, some different wheels and lose the strips and it'd be my perfect Mini Van!!

Either way, I saw it for sale and it looked like a fantastic little Mini... congrats and enjoy your future Mini adventures :)

#15 Magnetagz

Magnetagz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 12:05 AM

Mk1 Grille, some different wheels and lose the strips and it'd be my perfect Mini Van!!

Either way, I saw it for sale and it looked like a fantastic little Mini... congrats and enjoy your future Mini adventures :)

Cheers bud, all the above is on the cards, you can seen a small idea of my plan in my sig, grey/black with white deep steelys, sort of hotrod look.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users