8 replies to this topic

#1 Andyagl

Andyagl

Mini Mad

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 01:33 PM

Im currently putting in a rover k series in the Mini.
Just been looking around on the net looking at the Minitec conversion for a 4wd vtec.
Could this be done with the k series engine and 4wd box/diff from a freelander?
Had a look at the freelander gearbox and it looks about the same as 2wd but with just a bit added on the back.
What about the rear diff. should i mount a Mini front subframe in the back and lock the steering?, or is there someone (or plans) to make radius arms with a hole for driveshafts?
Cheap as possible please.
here is a pic of a freelander gearbox.

#2 Tommyboy12

Tommyboy12

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 01:53 PM

Cheap as possible is not a term that can really be used with converting a Mini to any other running gear let alone a 4WD set-up. It will require a custom rear subframe at least. Locking up a front subframe and using it in the rear probably presents more problems than making one from scratch. Cheapest way to do it would be to find a 4WD chassis and plonk a Mini shell on top.

#3 Andyagl

Andyagl

Mini Mad

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 07:40 PM

well i got the k series engine for nothing, so thats cheap. i can make a subframe for the back, just dont have the tools to be making custom radius arms. got a couple of local drag racing companies i could go have a chat with.
I want it 4wd to handle a big increase in power through 10inch wheels, i want to do hill climbs and such. Dont want an off road Mini.
Its mainly a question about is the gearbox and rear diff suitable for doing this conversion?, is there anything that always go wrong with them? and could it cope with 200bhp +. (maybe).
I was going to just buy a freelander petrol and sell off the unused bits. prob end up getting the bits i want for very little.

#4 Peskett

Peskett

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Local Club: 16v Mini Club forum

Posted 09 November 2011 - 09:12 PM

The picture above is a standard PG1 box without the 4WD. there the same box but the freelander has a large transfere box on the back, Its the same gearbox i'm useing on my conversion.
Biggest issue is the transfere case is exactly where the steering rack usually is..

#5 Andyagl

Andyagl

Mini Mad

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 07:52 AM

oh right. it said that that gearbox was a freelander one. ill try and find a pic of the proper one then.
Do you know they get around it when putting in the vtec crv gearbox?

#6 Andyagl

Andyagl

Mini Mad

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 07:56 AM

ah right. just found a pic of the transfer box. quite large isn't it. well that scraps that idea then! Have to save some more pennies and get the CRV set up with a vtec.

#7 houlsby

houlsby

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 09:55 PM

freelander boxes are poo the viscous coupling dies fast and the ird... soon as the coupling goes it starts to crab and shred your tyres..

would seriously say not to bother, if you want something to handle id go mid engine. but, you'll struggle with 10's on that setup.

#8 SukiDawg

SukiDawg

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 03:02 PM

You really don't need 4wd for a mini convertion. I looked at the potential options when I was developing a concept for my project and I came to the conclusion that the additional weight and complexity didn't make it worth while.

I honestly think that front engine and rear wheel drive offers the best mix of characteristics with weight trade off. Hence why I'm trying to achieve that. I am using a freelander rear diff.

#9 Andyagl

Andyagl

Mini Mad

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 12:00 PM

You really don't need 4wd for a mini convertion. I looked at the potential options when I was developing a concept for my project and I came to the conclusion that the additional weight and complexity didn't make it worth while.

I honestly think that front engine and rear wheel drive offers the best mix of characteristics with weight trade off. Hence why I'm trying to achieve that. I am using a freelander rear diff.

that sounds like a good option too. what engine you using up front for that?
I did go through the idea of motorbike up front with rear drive. wanted alot more torque and the cost of bike engines has gone through the roof.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users