#1 aavayro

aavayro

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Local Club: D.C.M.O.C

Posted 14 November 2011 - 11:01 PM

Hello was wondering if anyone has any advice for me, i have recently been give a 1991 rover metro 1.1 8 valve metro, carb version, with 30,000 miles on clock, wondering about possibilities of putting this engine into my mini and what it would en tale, amount of work and what i would need?

Is there a subframe available for this engine?? or how would i modify a mini frame to suit the engine??,
any advice, pictures or measurement would be very helpful

Thannkyou Aaron

#2 samsfern

samsfern

Likes Rovers, loves Jeremy Kyle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,243 posts
  • Local Club: medway mini club/medwaymonkeys

Posted 14 November 2011 - 11:09 PM

watsonsrally do subframes for k series engines. have a look in the engine conversion forum on here as well, lots of good pics and info, not that ive been looking, lol.

Edited by samsfern, 14 November 2011 - 11:12 PM.

#3 Peskett

Peskett

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Local Club: 16v Mini Club forum

Posted 15 November 2011 - 07:05 AM

Either of the subframes avalible will fit the engine or like you said you can make one out of a standard mini frame if you have the skill and patience, Non of the option are simple to do and all will require some welding and head scratching along the way. If you go for the allspeed frame or diy frame just remember you'll need a custom set of driveshafts.
Any frame you use you can swap the engine for a bigger model at a later date as all Kseries are the same dimentions from the 1.1 though to the 1.8vvc although the 8v shoud be easier as the head is half the size.
Have a look though the build diaries for some idea how much work is involved.

#4 aavayro

aavayro

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 07:17 PM

Hi, i have read several build threads and have looked up the Watson frame, but worried as all the projects that have used the Watson frame have used a extended front and heard rumours about having a wider track, dont p articulately want that, wondering how true these issues are ??,
but i am thinking of converting to clubman front.
Any chance or does anybody know where i could find good photographs and diagrams of a modified mini frame, as well as measurements and dimensions as fabricating one wouldn't be to much of an issue?

Thanks

#5 samsfern

samsfern

• Members
  • 5,243 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 07:36 PM

Slightly off topic maybe, but I purchased a vvc engine from the scrappy today, lol!

#6 Peskett

Peskett

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 08:24 PM

You are correct, Metro based frames require lenthend front ends and have a wider track. As for modded mini frames have a look at my two builds for an idea of work involved
Newer build with a better frame
http://www.theminifo...howtopic=202355

My original build
http://www.theminifo...opic=30791&st=0

#7 Tupers

Tupers

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 08:35 PM

I don't mean to sound rude but is there really much point in fitting an 1100 8V? They only had around 60BHP (probably less now) and by the time you factor in buying a new frame and all the little thing for the conversion you'd be better off having a nicely modified 1275 built .

Just a thought. =]

#8 samsfern

samsfern

• Members
  • 5,243 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 09:02 PM

I was thinking the same.....

#9 Peskett

Peskett

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 09:22 PM

As said above if the 1.1 fits so will a 1.8 as there the same engine in theory, Different liners,pistons,crank and cylinder head
Also comes with a 5speed box :proud:

#10 aavayro

aavayro

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 10:04 PM

Yeah i see were you are coming from but, acquired a good metro with a decent engine and was contemplating dropping it in mini, for reliability mainly as car used a bit, but was thinking of upgrading to a 1400 in the near future or even a 1800.. Just really wanted to get the conversion sorted.

Also how do you rate the rate the rover 1400 8 valve ?? good or bad ??
Thanks

#11 samsfern

samsfern

• Members
  • 5,243 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 10:31 PM

well cant say ive had any experience with the 8v, but i have the 16v version in my rover 25, that pulls pretty well for a 1.4, revs quite nicely to the limiter. why not put a 16v head on the 1.4 and fit the uprated head gasket kit at the same time?

Edited by samsfern, 15 November 2011 - 10:34 PM.

#12 Mini-Mad-Craig

Mini-Mad-Craig

Crazy About Metro's

• Members
  • 9,298 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 11:33 PM

All K-series are beautiful engines if you look after them. My Metro is 1.4 8v and its a great engine, very strong and pulls like anything when I need it to. It's an auto with CVT box, and is great fun to drive.

I had another Mk3 Metro which I bought with a months MOT, it was a 1.1 8v and again a very strong engine, good fun to drive.

My red Metro will soon be receiving a 16v 1.4 K-series with 5 speed box, and eventually a VVC. The type B gearbox has a LSD.

You can get lots of power from all of the K-series for very little money at all. I know of low 13 second 1/4 mile Metros that have been built for under a grand :)

Edited by Mini-Mad-Craig, 15 November 2011 - 11:35 PM.

#13 aavayro

aavayro

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 10:36 AM

Managed to pick up an 1400 8v engine for £2.20, so this will be my trail engine and look round for something better in the mean time.

Is it necessary to chop out all of your inner wings when fitting the conversion??
Thanks

#14 Artstu

Artstu

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 01:16 PM

Perhaps a bit short on details, however this thread could give you ideas about narrowing the Metro frame to fit your Mini, It's a TF frame in the thread but the Metro frame is the same apart from the towers

http://www.16vminicl...ead.php?t=26628

#15 aavayro

aavayro

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 07:09 PM

Hello is it compulsory to use a remote oil filter and yo use a smaller after market starter motor??
And is a metro frame a straight fit or does any modification have to be made to the frame??

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users