7 replies to this topic

#1 Alex1380

Alex1380

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 07:00 PM

hi all, right i have got some hi-lows and new shocks, shocks are easy to fit, but how do i fit the hi-lows i got the compression tool but i have no idea how it works seems like its abit of threded bar and a tube.... is it worth putting new rubber cones on at the same time? what else should i change? got new nuckles for them with the kit. any one know any website on this kinda thing? thanks

Alex.

#2 min min

min min

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 09:16 PM

compression tool :) under the bonnet under the wiper motor there is 2 bolts and a rubber plug.That is where the subframe is fastened to the shell.Remove rubber plug .stand outer pipe sleeve over hole .insert screw bar through pipe sleeve to connect to thread on rubber cone until tight.hold screw bar rigid and turn wingnut on the outer sleeve to compress the rubber cone.
there is 2 different threads on screw bar (course and fine) use the one that fits your car.
then it is the same on the other side.
rubber cones depend on wear and tear if they look kn*****ed replace them.
good luck.
ps don't forget to grease the knuckle.and have the car jacked up with wheel off :)

#3 siggy

siggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 09:39 PM

Thats for the early type subframes. Later cars have 1 large bolt each side, remove the bolt (1 5/16 IIRC) and the screw in the tool.

Siggy

#4 P91MER

P91MER

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 10:29 PM

And for the rears, jack up the car, take off the wheel, take off old damper, and put new one on, but don't fasten the top nuts up.

Pull the trumpet/rubber cone very hard, or lever it out. Then put the rubber cone in a vice, and force it off the trumpet, this can be quite hard. then put some grease around the rubber cone, and put the new hi-lo onto it you might need to use a hammer to get the rubber onto the hilo all the way around.

next, the extremly hard job, on the radious arm there will be a hole where there will be the existing knuckle nylon cup, this will need to be taken out before you put the new knuckles on. i used a screw driver, and a stanley knife and just kept on cutting and digging at the nylon cup until i managed to pull it out with a pair of pliers, it took me about 45 minutes constant digging to get the nylon cup out!!!! i have since been told, you can get heat onto it, and melt it out!!

once the cup is out, tighten the bolt on the hilow all the way down, push the bar, and the hilow/rubber cone into the subframe, and then push the radious arm up (you may need some assistance) aim the damper into the hole and as soon as the damper bolt is in the hole, put the nut onto it, to stop it falling back down. then tighten the damper nut so it is secure. undo the hi low bolt with your hand so you cannot undo it anymore.. this should be about the normal height (it is what mine is at)

put wheel back on, let jack off, and repeat other side except you might need to move fuel tank, which is very simple.. just undo the strap holding it to the side, take the filler cap off and just move the tank!! it might need a bit of pursuasion to get it out of the rubber seal.

good luck!!
Rich.

#5 Alex1380

Alex1380

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 10:30 PM

right ok, cheers i get what to do with the tool now, cheers

#6 Tucker SP

Tucker SP

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 07:05 AM

Any new on how you got on ?

Cheers
Tucker

#7 Alex1380

Alex1380

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 09:10 PM

not got round to it. my other mini needed a new clutch and i;ve been working and going to collage.

#8 Tucker SP

Tucker SP

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 06:49 AM

No probs,

Keep us all updated :cheese:

Cheers
Tucker

0 user(s) are reading this topic