15 replies to this topic

#1 nmt_oli

nmt_oli

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 06:51 PM

Ok, my car has had a fair amount of new panels and a respray and it has cost me a fair bit, and i think i may have been diddled with some of it, but i will sort that out when ive found the full extent of the problems.

the main rust im worrying about right now i found after strippign the interior to redo it. I took out the cardboard inthe rear bins, and found a substantial rust patch on both sides of the car. Its on the vertical, but lowermost pice of the door bin, on the outside edge, the pics shoudl make it clearer.

Ive had someone tell me it may be coming up form the sills, but the sills are origonal and in good condition, which seems odd.

The heelboards and everything else i can see in this area appear sound, where is this rust coming from , and how the hell do i fix it as theres not a lot of space to work in there! :w00t:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 nmt_oli

nmt_oli

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 08:08 PM

Just had a search on the forum, and found some pics of a sill replacement, and it looks like this is part of the inner sill, and would require the out sills to be taken off to get to it! that doesnt sound to fun as my sills are relatively healthy, and the cars just been resprayed! Yet more money to spend.

It just seems odd that its rusting this high up! if water was trapped, surely it would pool at the bottom, and eat the innersill/floorpan/heelboard in teh corner, and the outersill too. i am ver confused!

please help!

#3 Brett

Brett

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Local Club: skylineowners.com, turbominis

Posted 06 February 2006 - 09:25 PM

yes it is part of the inner sill it is hard to get to, my car just had its mot and it failed on this bit (drivers side) inner sill, outer sill, subframe mount....all gone :w00t: was held to geather by paint :w00t: took 12 hours of work to remount the subframe and rebuild the sill :nugget: i found the water was getting in through the wheel arch fitting bolt hole :nugget: and running down the inner arch seem.

good luck with yours.

#4 nmt_oli

nmt_oli

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 09:45 PM

hmm fun fun fun!!

looks like i might be investing in a welder earlier than i expected.

Anyone know any good places to get a suitable small + pref cheap welder?, will be used for sills and patches, general mini bodywork.

Also, how much are genuine outer sill panels, or suitable narrow (ie non oversill) replacements?

#5 Dog

Dog

Deathwish Fairy

• Banned from Buying/Selling
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,550 posts
  • Local Club: Shatrats.com

Posted 06 February 2006 - 09:58 PM

Thats not a hole.......

This is a HOLE!....

#6 Shadow

Shadow

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 10:04 PM

god damn it man!!u want to see my door bins!!i have none!!there just a huge gaping hole!honestly...u think thre holes??i'll post some pics up when got some!

#7 nmt_oli

nmt_oli

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 10:09 PM

dogmatix- my holes are lower doen than yours, on the inner sills so may be considered more structural!

They may only be small, but if i cover them up and leave them there only going to spread! so i would like to get them sorted, if once ive ground out all the rust the sills are solid, i will just make a neat hole, paint up the edges and use it to spreay some stuff into the sills, then cover the rear bin nicely so Mr. MOT man can't see them, and bide my time till the sills need relplacing to fix the holes.

i take it these would be an MOT fail due to the proximity to subframe mount, despite them being on a non ciriticle panel?

#8 Dog

Dog

Deathwish Fairy

• Banned from Buying/Selling
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,550 posts
  • Local Club: Shatrats.com

Posted 06 February 2006 - 10:14 PM

Thats ONE picture...
You want to see the state of the bodge up job the sills and some floor pans are :w00t:

#9 nmt_oli

nmt_oli

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 10:26 PM

Dogmatix- i was aksing about how to fix MY rust problem, which i havent come across before- not for you to boast about how much rust your car has :w00t:

Im just a bit of a perfectionist, and the rest of the shell is looking so good i dont want to wreck it. this is my first mini, its a big learning curve, and i want it still running in 15-20 years time! not needing more body work!

#10 Brett

Brett

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Local Club: skylineowners.com, turbominis

Posted 06 February 2006 - 11:38 PM

ÐØGMÁTÌX that is a nice hole :lol: lol (well as nice as holes can be :nugget: )

i could get my arm through mine up the the shoulder i am not weedy stick guy either, i passed my dad the grease gun through the sill he was like what the hell??? :huh: ...er you should fix that

#11 minilady

minilady

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 12:10 PM

Mine's rusted in the same places. The water was getting through the side window seals, and running down the edge of the back seat into the bins.

Judging by the state these aeas get into, I take it Mr MOT man doesn't look in the door bins? Is he allowed to remove the cardboard things to get a look?

#12 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 07 February 2006 - 12:36 PM

Apart from all the above... It's an issue, as that's rust within the area of the rear subframe mount and MUST be remedied...

There's realy only two options... de rust protect and then plate it

Or.. ( which is probably the better in the long run )

Replace the panel(s), which unfortunately not the easiest thing to do in the world.

#13 jack_marshall

jack_marshall

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 05:03 PM

Nah, this is a hole!

Attached Files

• Attached File  29.JPG   314.97K   48 downloads

#14 Britishbouncer

Britishbouncer