17 replies to this topic

#1 nathy_t

nathy_t

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 04:55 PM

ive had an idea but i'm not sure if it can be done or how much it would cost to be done.
but anyway how about taking my back seats out and replacing them with one single centre bucket seat, so i having 2 buckets up front and one in back something a bit different!
do any of you think this would be possible?

i know its a legal requirement to have the front 2 seats on subframes but could a rear one just be bolted to the floor?

#2 roberts

roberts

Optimise Automotive

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,294 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 05:38 PM

dont think it would work mate!

because u would have to take out all of your rear shelf, which is all metal!

i dont no though :S

#3 adam c

adam c

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 05:46 PM

Seem to remember seeing a mini at a show with two buckets in the back with two kids sitting in them so i presume its possible but am not sure how??
Just out of interest why do you only want one seat??

#4 Alburglar

Alburglar

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • 3,331 posts
  • Local Club: Kentish Mini Club

Posted 10 May 2004 - 06:07 PM

It is do-able but you would need to cut the metal frame out that the rear bench currently sits on.
Plus you would then need to make a frame that would fix either side of the exhaust tunnel. then bolt the bucket to that.

#5 nathy_t

nathy_t

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 06:38 PM

thinking just the one to have a a couple of subs and speakers either side of it for a crazy install

#6 paulbin

paulbin

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 07:22 PM

haha mate u cant even got the power to power ur speakers and one sub let alone more, what u like, u better start saving for that power cap

#7 Pavel

Pavel

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 07:29 PM

It's do-able but very hard, I was going to put in an integra seat in the middle at the back to match the fronts.

Basically if you try mount it on the pan, then it'll be too high and it will be unstable. If you're going to cut the metal out to mount it to the floor, that will loose strength in the rear of the car and you'll need to weld in reinforcements.

And as already been said, you'll need to make custom frames to go over the exhaust tunnel!

#8 Cheese

Cheese

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 09:29 PM

Sounds a cool idea, only thing im thinking off that is there any point having any seats in back if thers buckets in front? i mean its hard enough getting in the back with normal seats in front let alone bucket seats :)

#9 nathy_t

nathy_t

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 09:39 PM

haha mate u cant even got the power to power ur speakers and one sub let alone more, what u like, u better start saving for that power cap

cheeky git! id have a different battery for it anyway it was just an idea and a cool show mini if anyone ever did do it :)

#10 lewis

lewis

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,322 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey

Posted 10 May 2004 - 09:46 PM

never seen it before, would make you look diffrent but would you be up for all the hard work involved

#11 Alburglar

Alburglar

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • 3,331 posts
  • Local Club: Kentish Mini Club

Posted 11 May 2004 - 01:07 AM

its hard enough getting in the back with normal seats in front let alone bucket seats :)

Very good point actually.
I had buckets in me car and a twin sub inclosure on back seats b4 I stripped it and it was pretty impossible to get into the back. Squeezing past the bucket seats was not easy.

#12 mutant mini

mutant mini

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 05:34 AM

Just thought I'd post a pick of what I did with my back seats. There is an armrest in the centre which folds back.

Attached Files

#13 lewis

lewis

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,322 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey

Posted 11 May 2004 - 12:15 PM

thats amazing! where the hell did you get those seats from?

#14 lostininglewood

lostininglewood

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 03:14 PM

thought about it, but stopped there. you'd have to cut the bottom where the current seat sits to lower the seat or it'd sit too high. And if you do so, then you will have to take the subframe into consideration, and the exhaust,...etc. you would most likely have to cut the rear shelf and the metal behind where the current seat sits to sink the seat back into a rasonable position.

you could probably just mount it in the middle of where the old one sat and locate a sunroof just about where the seat is, so the third passengers head can stick out of it!! :) lol.

#15 Bluemini

Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 4,436 posts
  • Local Club: Blacktop Bombers

Posted 11 May 2004 - 05:24 PM

I've seen another car with the bucket in the back thing and it look rediculous, totally out of place and at the wrong height. Dont do it mate...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users