Photo

Putting Shelves Up On Wafer Thin Plasterboard Walls?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#16 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 11 December 2011 - 10:56 PM

before and after shots

and i don't mean your goolies

#17 samsfern

samsfern

Likes Rovers, loves Jeremy Kyle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,243 posts
  • Local Club: medway mini club/medwaymonkeys

Posted 11 December 2011 - 10:58 PM

Probably not, it's not a structural wall, it's an airing cupboard wall, where the boiler lives, lol, sounds dodgy I know, but I don't think there's any pipes or anything behind it, there is a plug socket on the wall, so if I have the plasterboard off I can relocate the plug socket, so when the tvs on the wall the plug socket can't be seen...

#18 MiniJosh92

MiniJosh92

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,691 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 07:36 AM

Just make sure you post pics when you've electircuted yourself / started a fire / flooded the house / brought the house down etc.

#19 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 12 December 2011 - 07:49 AM

>_<

#20 R1minimagic

R1minimagic

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 08:33 AM

You should make a film out of it!! :lol:

#21 Black.Ghost

Black.Ghost

Formerly known as TneMini.

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 01:31 PM

This has so much promise!

#22 Beej123

Beej123

One Carb Or Two?

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,184 posts
  • Local Club: Splinters Mini Club

Posted 12 December 2011 - 02:16 PM

If your airing cupboard has a boiler in then it means you most likely had a back boiler (how old is the house?) which means there could easily be heating pipes in that wall!

Wall plugs won't hold in plaster board, like everyone has said, try to find the batons behind the wall (I doubt it's totally hollow)

Or if you want to really bodge it, do what I did once into an airing cupboard. Drill into your side of the wall and straight out the other with a long bit in 4 places making a big square, then get 2 600x600 pieces of half inch ply and bolt through with one on the wall in your room an one in the airing cupboard, then you can screw what you like into it.

Ps, your mom will not like it haha

#23 JustSteve

JustSteve

Puke-Boy!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 03:45 PM

stop motion video of this 'project' ?! ... now that would be amazing, and highly entertaining ;)

#24 samsfern

samsfern

Likes Rovers, loves Jeremy Kyle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,243 posts
  • Local Club: medway mini club/medwaymonkeys

Posted 12 December 2011 - 04:14 PM

i ended up fitting a bit of wood to each side of the wall, with a couple of coach bolts all the way through the wall, efectively sandwiching the wall between the two bits of wood, if you get what i mean, should spread the load quite well, tv bracket thing will be held to the wall by bolts going all the way through the wall again, with suitable size washers either side, and i also got power up to where the tellies going, by drilling a hole straight through the wall, beneath the power socket, and a hole near where the tellies going, took the plug off an extension socket thing, and fed the wire through the hole, then ran it down the other side of the wall, and pushed the wire back out, through the hole beneath the power socket, fitted the plug to the cable, plugged it in, viola, i wont have any cables on show now, i also ran the aerial and other cables in the same way.

Edited by samsfern, 12 December 2011 - 04:16 PM.

#25 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:03 AM

Hmmm.... makes you wonder why sparkies need qualifications

#26 sweetser

sweetser

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,995 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 03:02 PM

Don't drill below plug sockets >_<

#27 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 13 December 2011 - 05:21 PM

when i wire a house (NICEIC approved sparky) i run the cables under the first floor floor

this means the wiring for the ground floor goes down and the wiring for the up stairs goes up

the IEE wiring reg details prescribed zones and my wiring method is with in this

i would be interested in your reasons why my wires can't go up

both the cooker supply, ring main and even the shower could all be protected by a 30-32 amp fuse/MCB

why would the cooker cable kill you where as the ring main wouldn't ?

according to the IEE regs anything over 50v can kill you and as such anything below it is classed as safe extra low voltage

Edited by Bungle, 13 December 2011 - 05:26 PM.

#28 mini-luke

mini-luke

Postman Pat

• Traders
  • 2,362 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:17 PM

As Bungle does, we (as everybody else I know) run cables from the floor of the first floor down and up from there. Would be pointless to waste time (and expensive cable) running them up into the roof and back.

#29 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 12:48 AM

An awful lot of houses have a concrete ground floor, making it almost certain that all the cables will be above the sockets on the ground floor.

by the way the only power cable in a house that'll kill ye apart from the mains is the cooker cable so ye woulda just got a nice shock.... phew

That's some pretty dangerous misinformation you're giving there, what qualifies you to make that statement? At 240v anything above around a 5mA shock is to be considered dangerous and whether a shock is fatal or not depends on how much power is developed in you during it, you can't just say something is safe or not that easily. The power you receive depends on how good a contact you make with the supply terminals or earth, your resistance and the duration of the shock among a host of other variables. Modern protection systems seek to limit the time of exposure as much as possible but if there is a problem with the protection you could easily get a lethal shock off any circuit in your home. That's why there are so many levels of protection in place and why electricians exist.

(I doubt it's totally hollow)

A fair number of new build houses and especially flats have the internal walls built from panel systems. Especially if the floors are a beam and block or precast system in my experience. Partition panels like this have no internal structure or studwork at all, they are built off site by laminating two sheets of plasterboard around a cardboard honeycomb core in the same way a cheap door is made. These walls are a nightmare to fix anything to, in the past I've tried all sorts of stuff including bonding sheets of ply to the wall to spread the load and take the fixings. This works but isn't ideal. Freestanding furniture is the best way in these homes.

#30 DAVEY_C

DAVEY_C

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • Local Club: irish minis owner club

Posted 17 December 2011 - 06:48 PM

That's some pretty dangerous misinformation you're giving there, what qualifies you to make that statement?

do i honestly have to tell ye?? could i not just say that between new builds/ renovating old victorian style homes/ converting a 200+ yr old block of stables into a canteen, staffroom, offices/ etc etc etc that i might not need to justify my position?? i could post pic's ;D

would it be rude of me to ask the same question back?? :tumble:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users