Photo

Putting Shelves Up On Wafer Thin Plasterboard Walls?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#31 samsfern

samsfern

Likes Rovers, loves Jeremy Kyle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,243 posts
  • Local Club: medway mini club/medwaymonkeys

Posted 17 December 2011 - 07:14 PM

That's some pretty dangerous misinformation you're giving there, what qualifies you to make that statement?

would it be rude of me to ask the same question back?? :tumble:

Lol!

#32 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 17 December 2011 - 07:22 PM

That's some pretty dangerous misinformation you're giving there, what qualifies you to make that statement?

do i honestly have to tell ye?? could i not just say that between new builds/ renovating old victorian style homes/ converting a 200+ yr old block of stables into a canteen, staffroom, offices/ etc etc etc that i might not need to justify my position?? i could post pic's ;D

would it be rude of me to ask the same question back?? :tumble:

so not a electrician then, just a general builder

#33 DAVEY_C

DAVEY_C

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • Local Club: irish minis owner club

Posted 17 December 2011 - 07:30 PM

so not a electrician then, just a general builder

did i say that??.... you red a book and built a house?? :tumble:

#34 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 17 December 2011 - 07:35 PM

i have already stated i'm a qualified electrician (23 years) and NICEIC registered

#35 Shifty

Shifty

Sponsored by Fosters (tm)

• Admin
  • 13,128 posts
  • Name: Sean
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 17 December 2011 - 07:49 PM

I think its fair to ask how you are qualified to answer such a question, especially when your advice contradicts a qualified electrican.

#36 DAVEY_C

DAVEY_C

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 08:19 PM

I think its fair to ask how you are qualified to answer such a question, especially when your advice contradicts a qualified electrican.

shifty if you are not entirely happy with my post then i suggest you delete it so no bad advise advise is given within the the forum
not to offend anyone or imply anything about any member on this forum but i've learnt over the years that qualifications can mean nothing and have had to be trained in more area's than my main trade (carpentry) so although i may not be a fully qualified sparks i went an extra 6 years nights to train in electrics and plumbing. it was an 8 year course but i had to stop early so i'll leave ye's to make your own minds up whether i'm just a reckless poster or something :closed:

#37 Shifty

Shifty

Sponsored by Fosters (tm)

• Admin
  • 13,128 posts
  • Name: Sean
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 17 December 2011 - 08:23 PM

All I want is for the advice thats given to our members to be correct, especially when it concerns something that may kill them.

Given the feedback that I've had, I think it may be best if I do remove your post.

#38 Turbo Nick

Turbo Nick

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,913 posts
  • Local Club: Turbominis.co.uk

Posted 17 December 2011 - 08:23 PM

the NIC don't apply in Ireland afaik bungle.

i've worked over in Ireland this year, thankfully not house bashing but on main switchgear and it's a bit different over there..

#39 mini_mad69

mini_mad69

Let future you worry about it

• Traders
  • 5,417 posts
  • Local Club: urrrr no

Posted 17 December 2011 - 08:26 PM

I want to see sam's room now.

#40 DAVEY_C

DAVEY_C

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 08:33 PM

All I want is for the advice thats given to our members to be correct, especially when it concerns something that may kill them.

Given the feedback that I've had, I think it may be best if I do remove your post.

thats fair enough but if ye remove my post ye may as well clean up the thread ;D

#41 samsfern

samsfern

• Members
  • 5,243 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 09:21 PM

There's not much to see, ive lost interest in it, all I've really done is rip some shelves down, pug the holes up, bolt a bit of wood and power socket thing to the wall and lost the bunk beds, weighed in for scrap as well as a load of other stuff , and built a single height bed up for now. I've lost interest, and I've got things that are higher prioty at the mo.

Edited by samsfern, 17 December 2011 - 09:22 PM.

#42 Burnard

Burnard

4 gears good........... .......................5 gears Better

• Banned
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 10:21 PM

to be honest, i think if sam was gonna have electrocuted him self, he would have done it by now :lol:

And as correct as you are dan, its 230v, not 240v, i know that and im an apprentice mechanical engineer....

Shows how good qualifications are really.

#43 mini-luke

mini-luke

Postman Pat

• Traders
  • 2,362 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 10:35 PM

And as correct as you are dan, its 230v, not 240v, i know that and im an apprentice mechanical engineer....

Officially it is supposed to be, but here we get 240 dead. I still say 240 out of habit.

#44 samsfern

samsfern

• Members
  • 5,243 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 10:43 PM

You know me burny, lol!

#45 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 01:27 AM

Depends how long you've been around what you refer to the power in the walls as really. It's 230 officially now yes, since we got adjusted to be able to buy bulk power from Europe but it always was 240 when I was growing up and since we now use the lax Euro standard for tollerances 240 is still within the allowed range. Most people will find that's what they still get since the adjustment was largely done by redefining the standard rather than actually adjusting anything. When we were on British Standard 240, 230 would have been out of tollerance, because appliances will tend to burn out sooner at 230 if they were designed for 240 as most stuff in the UK is. But that's good for the retailers so nobody mentions it now. Does your course really not mention that the voltage was changed in line with Europe only about 15 years ago? Or that older equipment will all be expecting 240 and will have a fairly low tollerance for voltage range?

And incidentally I've said many times here I'm not a certified electrician. I was an industrial data wireman for a good while, crawling through the steamducts with the sparks and working my way through drawings with them. They were doing the thick copper while I was next to them terminating thousands of ends and so I happen to know the regs and standards. I also happen to know that you can be killed by a lighting circuit as a result of having it happen to a qualified spark I knew while he was in someone's attic somewhere. I would accept that your experience qualifies you, it's all that qualifies me too, but I don't care how many buildings you may have worked on or how much experience you have if you think it takes over 20 amps to kill because it can take just over half an amp. You can kill yourself with an AA battery if you really try. I'm sorry if this offends you, but it offends me to see people being told that something that could kill them is relatively safe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users