384 replies to this topic

#31 Monte Busa

Monte Busa

Super Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 04:47 AM

I'll be adding some more pictures to my build in a week or so. I finally got the frame powder coated recently after all my fab and modifications and am slapping the thing together after all these years.

I'm using a Vi-Pec V44 for my build, Apex Speed Tech is custom tuning it with Mike Downs at Downs Engineering. The cool thing about the Vi-Pec is that I can run full traction control if desired, and it talks CAN, so can be directly wired to my new AIM Pista MXL dash with only a few sensors to wire (EGT and maybe oil pressure) - all of the other sensors are the factory ones that are married to the Vi-Pec.

Yeah, let's compare notes - it will be good to have someone to keep pushing me along.

I used to own a MED cross flow motor too, with Amal slide carbs - 1380, full on spec'd motor. I sold it before it went in the Mk1 that I intended to put it in, which became the Yamaha R1 Pro-Motive FWD beastie you can see in my other build thread on here (the one in my Avatar). That ones been sold off now and replaced by a Series 1 Lotus Elise which I use as my Summer car, so the Monte becomes the track day / NASA Time Trial racer!

Aric

#32 Birdman

Birdman

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 06:48 AM

I'll be adding some more pictures to my build in a week or so. I finally got the frame powder coated recently after all my fab and modifications and am slapping the thing together after all these years.

I'm using a Vi-Pec V44 for my build, Apex Speed Tech is custom tuning it with Mike Downs at Downs Engineering. The cool thing about the Vi-Pec is that I can run full traction control if desired, and it talks CAN, so can be directly wired to my new AIM Pista MXL dash with only a few sensors to wire (EGT and maybe oil pressure) - all of the other sensors are the factory ones that are married to the Vi-Pec.

Yeah, let's compare notes - it will be good to have someone to keep pushing me along.

I used to own a MED cross flow motor too, with Amal slide carbs - 1380, full on spec'd motor. I sold it before it went in the Mk1 that I intended to put it in, which became the Yamaha R1 Pro-Motive FWD beastie you can see in my other build thread on here (the one in my Avatar). That ones been sold off now and replaced by a Series 1 Lotus Elise which I use as my Summer car, so the Monte becomes the track day / NASA Time Trial racer!

Aric

Some day we're going to have to get together Aric. I bet we could BS the day away pretty easy. My MED engine is not quite full rase. Piper 286 cam and 10.8 comp so just a notch under full race. It dynoed at 125 hp. Also have the straight cut 5 speed with limited slip. That's pretty much my daily driver.

Terry also pre programmed my power commander also so it's supposed to be plug and play.
I ordered the swing arm oil pan you suggested today, thanks for the tip on it.

#33 Birdman

Birdman

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 06:53 AM

That ones been sold off now and replaced by a Series 1 Lotus Elise which I use as my Summer car,

Aric

I had to look this one up as I was not familiar with it. Looks like a pretty neat car. Here's my summer car.

Attached Files

• Attached File  3.jpg   224.54K   59 downloads

#34 Birdman

Birdman

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 06:56 AM

I got a call from some kind of shipping agent in New York today. They can't find any paper work from Z-Cars to clear customs. So I'll be calling Z-Cars this morning as soon as they open up.

#35 Monte Busa

Monte Busa

Super Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 07:34 AM

Where do you live? Once we get the Montes done, we definitely should get together. My (ex) MED dyno'd as 157 or so IIRC. Very peaky power delivery though, so wasn't suited for daily driving...but neither was the R1, lol.

Aric

Some day we're going to have to get together Aric. I bet we could BS the day away pretty easy. My MED engine is not quite full rase. Piper 286 cam and 10.8 comp so just a notch under full race. It dynoed at 125 hp. Also have the straight cut 5 speed with limited slip. That's pretty much my daily driver.

Terry also pre programmed my power commander also so it's supposed to be plug and play.
I ordered the swing arm oil pan you suggested today, thanks for the tip on it.

#36 Birdman

Birdman

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 10:36 AM

Where do you live? Once we get the Montes done, we definitely should get together.

I live at Crooked River Ranch, Oregon. In the middle of the state, just north of Bend and Redmond. And just south of Oregon Park Raceway. A new 2.5 mile road course.
I took your advice and got a new oil pan with a swing arm pick up.

Edited by Birdman, 24 February 2014 - 05:53 PM.

#37 Monte Busa

Monte Busa

Super Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 09:36 PM

....so basically about as far away from me as you can get...I'm in the Detroit suburbs. Nice oil pan - Koenig?. On your gravity fed turbo oil return, it's a nice big diameter, but you might want to try to shorten it a bit to make sure it ONLY flows down hill so you don't get any oil back-up in the tube

#38 Birdman

Birdman

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 11:31 AM

....so basically about as far away from me as you can get...I'm in the Detroit suburbs. Nice oil pan - Koenig?. On your gravity fed turbo oil return, it's a nice big diameter, but you might want to try to shorten it a bit to make sure it ONLY flows down hill so you don't get any oil back-up in the tube

It's not the Koenig, but one just like it, milled from a single billit of aluminum, and a hundred bucks cheaper. I found it on e-bay.
Oil Line, thanks for the tip. I have other questions about it also I need to ask Terry at "Mr Turbo".

Any good tracks between Oregon and Detroit?

#39 Birdman

Birdman

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 11:35 AM

I hate Holidays! My Monte Carlo kit is in New York, or possible in route to Oregon. I don't know. The customs broker that is handling my paper work took Friday off. Then we have Sat and Sun, and now Monday will be another day off because of the Holiday Sunday.
I wish these people would realize my car is more important than their Holiday! BG

#40 Birdman

Birdman

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 01:26 PM

Now their telling me my kit won't be here until the 23rd. Don't know what's going on. I wouldn't think it would take 3 weeks to go from New York to Portland, OR. by train.

#41 cptkirk

cptkirk

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts
  • Local Club: B.M.C. + Chiminiclub

Posted 06 January 2012 - 01:29 PM

Gutted, I hope you get it soon enough, nothing worse than waiting for things to arrive for you to be able to get along.

#42 Monte Busa

Monte Busa

Super Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 04:25 PM

Mine took two weeks to get from Upstate New York to Michigan once it was in the States, so I'm not surprised. Until it's fully released from Customs to the LTL carrier, you are basically powerless to do anything about expediting too.. :(

Now their telling me my kit won't be here until the 23rd. Don't know what's going on. I wouldn't think it would take 3 weeks to go from New York to Portland, OR. by train.

#43 Birdman

Birdman

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 05:17 PM

I guess 3 weeks to Oregon isn't bad if it took your's 2 weeks to get to Michigan.

#44 Johanmini

Johanmini

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 03:30 PM

Another US Monte, cool. I just love to follow those builds, fortunately I don't have the patience to build for a couple of years, else I would of do one too. Just amazing how much patience some people have before they get to drive their selvebuild cars, i can only imagine how it should feel to drive a self build car...

I'm quite curious how the engine will hold with the semi stock internals, wouldn't surprise me if it stays in one part on low boost, I know multiple bike turbo conversions who run stock internals on 10PSI max at about 250-260 hp without any problems so far.

i run a wet sump, my tuner, who did over 400 hayabusa turbo conversion, told me they had equally much trouble with dry, wet and flexible pick up sumps...Mine is handmade and made so that the oil is always present were it should be, no problems so far and I trust this tuner all the way.

#45 Birdman

Birdman

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 04:21 PM

x

Edited by Birdman, 24 February 2014 - 05:54 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users