Photo

Gianni Potenza Wheels: Cheaper Version...

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#31 conlad

conlad

Previously known as ct16mini.

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,054 posts
  • Local Club: Hilltop Minis

Posted 28 December 2011 - 11:40 AM

Is there a project thread on this mini? looks the nads!

#32 Driezzie

Driezzie

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 11:41 AM

I've also got a reply from midlandwheels.com so we can compare.

Dear Sir

The load capacity on a 10 x 6 JBW Mamba Silver wheel is 280 kilo.

Regards
Margaret

Edited by Driezzie, 28 December 2011 - 11:42 AM.

#33 Shifty

Shifty

Sponsored by Fosters (tm)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,128 posts
  • Name: Sean
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 28 December 2011 - 11:43 AM

They are called golf cart wheels because.......................................they are golf cart wheels!!

To be honest its stuff like this that will ruin it for everyone, one idiot fits a set of totally unsuitable wheels on his car, crashes either hurts himself(and/or others), we end up with more laws that restrict how we modify our cars.

Look at the offset on them, and the amount of leverage on the 4 spokes it will produce. Cheaply made in china and an accident waiting to happen.

#34 conlad

conlad

• Noobies
  • 2,054 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 11:55 AM

Look at this golfcart. It HAS these wheels - if not similar ones on it.

http://www.ezgo.com/...reedom_rxv.html

Look at its load capacity under the performance bit. Its 360KG, whether thats down to the build quality of the cart or the wheels, thats still very very low. So imagine those wheels on a 2 1/2 times heavier mini...

#35 Driezzie

Driezzie

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 12:03 PM

360 kg it can handle + it's own weight.

Just because those wheels are on the cart doesn't mean it's the max load capacity they can handle.

The cart you show is also a two seater, there are also much bigger carts that can take up to 6 people. Imagine oversized americans (most of the time) and their golfequipment etc.

Edited by Driezzie, 28 December 2011 - 12:07 PM.

#36 me madjoe 90

me madjoe 90

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • Local Club: Fylde Mini Club

Posted 28 December 2011 - 12:04 PM

The'll be right..... ;D famous last words. However most the quad wheels ive fitted tyres to seemed better quality and stronger than the cheap crappy wolf race and fox racing rims that the garage i used to work at sold. Most of the road alloy wheels crack if you give em to much stick. Some of the punishment mates do to there quads and there fine some times get buckeled but then can always bash em back to shape.

Posted Image

If they take r1 power and jumps like they do in freestyle quad bikeing, then id arguee there strong enougth. But then its your choice to decided wether or not the'll be suitable for your car and the driving you do. Not to mention there not Emarked for road use so you mostlikely wouldent be insured, but most people on the road are not insured even if they think they are any way.
Again your move but i think they look great and should work fine on a mini. If not better than some of the cheap mini lite replica's I have seen.

#37 conlad

conlad

• Noobies
  • 2,054 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 12:08 PM

Oh yeah they look shweeet, maybe we all chip in and buy some then whack them on a someones mini? Haha best way to check! :D

#38 Driezzie

Driezzie

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:23 AM

Another mini from the US who uses them on the streets :

Posted Image

Posted Image

More : http://m.flickr.com/...age/4459378535/

#39 Shifty

Shifty

Sponsored by Fosters (tm)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,128 posts
  • Name: Sean
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:19 PM

Stop and think about this for minute.....

These wheel have been doing the rounds for a few years now. Why have one of the big players not started stocking them?

Why are these not midland wheels website? Theres obviously money to be made out of them. The retail price on these is around the £50 mark so somewhere in china you could go to a factory and buy 4000 of these for about £15 each.

Finding that factory would be easy enough, so why hasn't this been done?

They could easily be punted out at £75 a go, £50 a wheel profit. Anyone with half a buisness brain would have looked into this.

Theres a demand for them, they would sell like hot cakes.

So why aren't they being stocked, moneys there to be made?

Is it because they are golf cart wheels and therefore dangerous and unsuitable for road use?

#40 JustSteve

JustSteve

Puke-Boy!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:32 PM

Is it because they are golf cart wheels and therefore dangerous and unsuitable for road use?

Probably.

Shifty, I understand what you're trying to say, and I do agree with everything you've said. However, this is the mini scene....
People will do things whether they're safe or not. yo just won't be able to persuade them, ever.

I personally think these wheels look bad-ass and I would run a set, but NOT on a road car. Besides, they're too wide for the road anyway, bet they feel horrible.

#41 Driezzie

Driezzie

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:01 PM

Probably.

Shifty, I understand what you're trying to say, and I do agree with everything you've said. However, this is the mini scene....
People will do things whether they're safe or not. yo just won't be able to persuade them, ever.

I personally think these wheels look bad-ass and I would run a set, but NOT on a road car. Besides, they're too wide for the road anyway, bet they feel horrible.

Yes it's all true you are saying and I also agree with you that it's not made for a Mini originally. However I'm more and more convinced that the Potenzas are 99% the same wheels just bought in China from the factory. If you look at Hawk, ITP etc you'll see it's the same wheel with a custom logo printed in them. If you order 3000 pieces or so it could be possible to ask your personalised logo or something.

The so called Potenzas have proven their strenght already through the years.

On the website of Gianni Potenza he also doesn't mention he CNC'ed them himself or something like that, it just says they are race proven.

#42 JustSteve

JustSteve

Puke-Boy!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:11 PM

Probably.

Yes it's all true you are saying and I also agree with you that it's not made for a Mini originally. However I'm more and more convinced that the Potenzas are 99% the same wheels just bought in China from the factory. If you look at Hawk, ITP etc you'll see it's the same wheel with a custom logo printed in them. If you order 3000 pieces or so it could be possible to ask your personalised logo or something.

The so called Potenzas have proven their strenght already through the years.

On the website of Gianni Potenza he also doesn't mention he CNC'ed them himself or something like that, it just says they are race proven.

I'm not saying that they aren't the same, because I reckon they probably are too, but you don't know for sure. besides, you can't legally get a tire on them so why does it matter?

#43 mini.cooper998

mini.cooper998

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts
  • Local Club: looking

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:44 PM

suppose the main question for us not bothered folks is " where do we buy them from in the UK or europe ?" sorry all the doubters but for casual drivers like myself that like the look im willing to take a punt. If anyone has any do they fancy swapping them forsome 7x10 force racing exxaction conversions. peace out!

#44 Driezzie

Driezzie

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:00 PM

You can buy them on almost every golf cart online store (fast shipping).

Some shops :

- http://www.buggiesun...heel/W08 103409 (those are without a marking, they are also called Hawk if I'm correct)
- http://www.golfcartt..._10_gtw4spk.htm (also no marking)
- http://specialtytire...m/w_inter10.htm (with ITP marking)
- eBay

#45 TA2DMAC

TA2DMAC

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts
  • Local Club: Michigan MINI Motorin Club

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:51 AM

I was looking at a Mini for sale on ebay that was built by Mini Magazine that has Simular wheels, if not the same.
Apparently they got them form a company named Bespoke out of Warwick

Here's there info:

Bespoke Wheels Ltd
01926 88 77 22
Unit 2, Block B, Harriott Drive,
Heathcote Industrial Estate
Warwick, CV34 6TJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users