48 replies to this topic

#31 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 01:07 AM

Well, it was linked from a reputable UK site and the technical content can be verified as being correct, if you want to spend lots of money doing all the tests. On the UK site there is lots of other information, including stuff on fatigue properties, which I think you are unlikley to understand.

#32 zef

zef

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 01:09 AM

Easy, one is LETHAL the other is not :-

"First hand and factual"...."Copper is very dangerous, and therefore illegal"

#33 zef

zef

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 01:10 AM

Really!!! I studied Physics and AstroPhysics at University so please DO NOT question my intelligence, I have not questioned yours.

#34 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 01:12 AM

minikidx14,

At last someone with a sensible question! I think I explained in the previous thread, but Cunifer is stiffer and not as red in colour, with a hint of grey.

If you possibly can, get your hands on a small piece of each, and you will see what I mean.

A reputable supplier will always provide the correct information on the packaging. If not, don't accept it. There are lots of bogus parts and materials in circulation.

#35 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 01:13 AM

ze

If, like me, you have studied physics, why do you persist in trying to deny that copper is dangerous in brake systems, when all the evidence is to the contrary?

#36 zef

zef

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 01:17 AM

Jesus, studied Physics and yet can't read. From my original post.

"No mention of copper being illegal. Please stop the misinformation. They may be not as good as the other forms of pipe but certainly not illegal. "

I stated that it is not ILLEGAL

#37 zef

zef

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 01:20 AM

and AGAIN

"You have not provided a shred of evidence to PROVE that copper brake pipes are illegal in the UK. You might not like them and I'm not saying they are perfect, I AM saying that stating on a forum they are illegal, without evidence, is misinformation. "

and AGAIN

"As to giving out information that is dangerous I have never willingly done that, nor would I. The OP question should probably be answered thus.
Copper brake pipes are not illegal in the UK but there are some questions as to their possible safety. As with all things in life use your own judgement. As you are questioning their safety then you obviously have doubts about them and would probably be therefore happier using another material. "

<p class="ipsLikeBar right clearfix" id="rep_post_2300313" style="margin-top: 10px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 10px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; float: right; font-size: 11px; ">

#38 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 01:21 AM

Read and understand product liability laws, before you try to state that a dangerously unsuitable material is legal. It does not have to be listed as illegal, it only has to be unsuitable. Its legality would actually be determined in court, and if anyone gets to that stage, they will already be facing financial ruin due to legal costs, plus the damages that will certainly be awarded against them if they have injured or killed someone by using unsafe materials in a brake system.

#39 zef

zef

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 01:24 AM

So it hasn't been proven in court that it is illegal (your words).

Edited by zef, 19 December 2011 - 01:25 AM.

#40 zef

zef

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 01:27 AM

Unless PROVEN in a court of law in the UK that copper brake pipe is ILLEGAL then you cannot surely come on here STATING that it is ILLEGAL unless you are putting yourself above our legal system???

#41 zef

zef

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 01:28 AM

Anyway the OP's question has been answered in my earlier post. I have work and will spend no more time and energy on this subject.

#42 minimissionary

minimissionary

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Local Club: Fylde Mini Club

Posted 19 December 2011 - 01:38 AM

The legality is irrelevant, if the safety is questionable. I'm sure it was unnecessary to waste so much energy on the matter.
This has gone from forum, to battle of wills. Cease and desist!

#43 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 01:42 AM

zef,

Use of copper brake pipe is very likely to contravene several laws, and as such is very likely to be found to be illegal if a case ever comes to court. Product designers don't expect all their work to be tested in court, and as such generally talk about things being liiegal, because they know that they are at variance with what the law requires, not because it has, as yet, been tested in court. It is merely anticipating that the legal system will work as intended. But in the first instance, the designer has to make the decision.

But if someone mows down a group of pedestrians because their copper brake pipe bursts, and it is found in court that they have read this forum or something similar, yet persisted in using the wrong material, their position would be indefensible, and would most likely be found guilty of criminal negligence. Technically, the copper "may" not have been illegal, but its use certainly would be.

Frankly, I think you are making yourself look stupid. There are a number of very sensible and competent people on this forum who are well aware that copper should not be used for safety reasons, but you seem to want to disagree. Well, just don't drive your car, with copper barke pipes, anywhere me.

#44 minimissionary

minimissionary

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Local Club: Fylde Mini Club

Posted 19 December 2011 - 02:15 AM

:closed:

#45 klivins

klivins

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • Local Club: minimania.lv

Posted 19 December 2011 - 08:15 AM

I am not fully aware of law bur think if copper pipes were used when manufacturing the automobile, using same material parts can not be grounds for insurance denial or suchlike?
all stated about copper piping might be true, but this does not mean we have to rebuild our cars, right? Likewise, there is small or no gain if some of pipes are made of alloy, while some remain copper - the weakest link in the chain...
I conclude if someone is to repair a car where copper pipes are used primarily a copper can be used, and same applies to alloys.
I someone in process of full restoration wants to use CU Ni Fe pipes it is up to this person.
Correct me if Im wrong please!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users