Photo
- - - - -

The Rebuild - Track Orientated This Time.

• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

#46 kcchan

kcchan

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:57 PM

Heres the rough set up but I think I'll need some bends for it to clear the bulkhead. The increased length of the runners should help with low down torque too but will ultimately be dependent on what I can actually fit under the bonnet.

Posted Image

#47 jonny f

jonny f

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,485 posts
  • Local Club: Boxhill Mini Club

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:52 PM

Looks good. You got a link to the feature?

Edit: found it.... http://www.statuserr...on-thrll-http-t

Edited by jonny f, 10 November 2012 - 08:54 PM.

#48 kcchan

kcchan

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:37 PM

Thats the one, not the most in depth "feature" but still nice for my work to be commended. Plus I got some free stuff from it ;)

#49 jonny f

jonny f

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,485 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:05 PM

Free stuff is always good!

#50 kcchan

kcchan

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:56 PM

Popped down to ACW Motorsport plastics today and had a great little chat. Picked up a rear window and some bolt in rear quarters. Talked about the fronts as well but I won't order until I have my window conversion/modifications done so that I can get them made to fit perfectly.

No pics either as they're just plastic windows

If any of you guys want Polycarb windows; these are the people to go to:
http://www.acwmotorsportplastics.co.uk (A new site is due to be released in the next few weeks.)

Plus TMF'ers get 10% off!

#51 mercenary62

mercenary62

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • Local Club: mini clan

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:33 PM

wheels look great mate keep up the good work

#52 kcchan

kcchan

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:25 PM

Thanks

Update:

The inlet runners had O ring grooves in them which created a void when I ported them to match the inlet manifold ports. So some chemical metal and a bit more grinding later and we have:
Posted Image

I also got a guy at work to drill blind holes and tap them for me leaving the head side of the flange untouched. Runners bolted on:
Posted Image

I did also buy some silicone to create a tight seal but the instructions said specifically not to use with fuel so I'll find another sealant to finally bolt the runners on.

Bought an accelerator pedal too but it seems awfully big to me? It may be a different story when I can actually offer it up to the body but its almost twice as heavy as the original mini one. I'll just have to lose the weight somewhere else ;)

Posted Image

Posted Image

It's a lot beefier so should withstand some heavy right footed action. I might trim it down, depending on what the ratios are like with the ITB's.

Got some stainless top arm plates and some more 12pt bolts to go with them. The plates are pretty heavy as well but they were cheaper than their steel equivalents. I bought them to get dimensions from because I'm looking at getting a batch of Ti bits cut but I have no idea what that'll cost so I might end up using them anyway.

Posted Image

I also managed to score a lightened flywheel from ebay but that hasn't arrived yet.

Edited by kcchan, 24 November 2012 - 06:26 PM.

#53 jonny f

jonny f

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,485 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:11 PM

Nice update.

That pedal looks crazy!

#54 kcchan

kcchan

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:31 PM

Not much of an update. Went back to my parents place over xmas eager to get on with some progress but the weather was somewhat ****.

So I dug the doors out and did some lightening. The small holes were to separate the lower half of the window channel from the frame as it was removed to reduce weight further. They were welded up and a new hole was drilled in the right place and swaged to suit.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The bottom on the drivers side need a little repair, then they'll be ready for some alloy skins. The edges of the inner frame will be neatened up, then either have some trim added to it, or will have alloy/carbon "cards" if they feel a little flimsy.

That's it unfortunately. Currently rebuilding the "rebuilt" radius arms I bought as I'm not happy with them.

#55 jonny f

jonny f

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,485 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:47 PM

Looking good!

#56 Alan Carruthers

Alan Carruthers

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

Seconded

Al

#57 evil ewok

evil ewok

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • Local Club: A's of Herts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:20 PM

is that a nissan pulsar gti r plenum i see? looking good, after seeing your lightened doors, think i'm going to have to do the same to mine.

i've got titanium top arm plates for mine, got them cut at work. they weigh almost nothing!

#58 kcchan

kcchan

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:53 PM

Yup for the turbo when that time comes.

I had a quote for the plates but it was too much. I also got a quote for a larger batch but no one else seemed interested in them so I didn't bother. I'm waiting for a few ali bits that I've had cut to arrive though.

Don't suppose you could get me some Ti bits cut as well as the turn buckles? The only other thing I wanted in Ti was rear drum hand brake arms. Have you thought about those at all?

#59 jonny f

jonny f

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,485 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:06 PM

Not sure if this guy is still in business but im sure he used to do rear handbrake arms.

http://www.titanclassics.com/

might not though looking at the site.

#60 evil ewok

evil ewok

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • Local Club: A's of Herts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:16 PM

i've got one sat on a shelf for the same reason when i was going K, along with a baily dump valve, adjustable boost knob, gauge, rebuilt t25 turbo etc. might need another project in hte future to use them...

i hadn't thought about those until you mentioned them! are the original riveted together? you thinking of just bolting with a nylon washer inbetween or something? i'll have a rumage in the scrap bin to see what thickness material is available then i'll have word with the laser man to see how nice he's feeling haha
when do you need the turn buckles for? won't know how much material i have left until i've finished off my kit. you using standard steering arms? just so i know for the turnbuckle length

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users