34 replies to this topic

#16 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 10:24 PM

Furry legs rubbing against the steering column? Just imagine that static cling! *OUCH* :D

#17 Mark1275GT

Mark1275GT

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 10:41 PM

Thats the one. :D

Try it now..should work :D
http://www.homebase....roductId=239718

(1).Theres 1 synthetic wool bonnet, 1 cotton bonnet. What does what? and which one do i use.

(2).So i apply the G4, then buff it with the Car Polisher, when i use car wax, shall i buff it with the car polisher as well ?

(3) Which polish shall i get ?

#18 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 10:59 PM

using the cotton bonnet, apply the compound. Make sure you keep the compound and the mop wet or you'll burn the paint. (i.e., use plenty of water so the whole process gets very messy! Which reminds me, the compound and water will fling off and stick to things, so do it somewhere you don't mind washing down afterwards (not someone elses wall or car!))

Do one panel at a time, and polish off using the wool bonnet.

While you're out, go and get another wool bonnet for the polish (Halfrauds do them). Apply the polish by hand, and buff off using the other wool bonnet. Then go over and make sure you've buffed properly by hand.

If you're going to Halfrauds for Polish, then get the best Meguiars you're willing to pay for (Gold class or NXT), or Autoglym. If you are willing to mailorder, get a sample size of Zymol or Swissol. They should be enough to do the car a couple of times (but they are VERY expensive!)

Oh, and Halfords do a very natty blue bottle of Zymol cleaner/polish. DON'T be tempted to use that as a top coat of wax, but you could use it between the compound and wax stages if you're feeling flush!

#19 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 10:59 PM

And when you do it remove or cover up with masking tape any plastic trim
As if you get any of the compound on these parts it will stain the badly (the same colour as you paint work)

#20 Mark1275GT

Mark1275GT

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 01:28 AM

Ordered the polisher,
Zymol,
Meguiars Gold class,
But cant find Farecla G3 compound. couldnt find it on halfords site.
Can someone please give me a link to where i can buy Farecla G3 please. AND HOW much would i need

#21 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 02:21 AM

Farecla

I *think* this is the stuff. I've not used Farecla, so I don't want to push you for this one. They do the whole range here anyhow. Karl can probably better point you to the right one.

What Zymol did you order? The cleaner stuff? Remember to get extra wool pads, you'll need them with the compound, cleaner and waxing to do!

#22 cooper_shaz

cooper_shaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 01:14 PM

Thats the stuff G3..

Use loads of water with this stuff and not too much pressure as you could burn, or go straight through the paint.

also here is a link for a pro style buffer, key thing in there is the rpm buffing about 1000 rpm max

so a grinder with a pad is a no no

clicky for buffer £45

cheers

#23 Mark1275GT

Mark1275GT

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 02:09 PM

Farecla

I *think* this is the stuff. I've not used Farecla, so I don't want to push you for this one. They do the whole range here anyhow. Karl can probably better point you to the right one.

What Zymol did you order? The cleaner stuff? Remember to get extra wool pads, you'll need them with the compound, cleaner and waxing to do!

I got this Zymol ?
http://www.halfords....ategoryId=31511 ?

Which G3 should i buy ?

Thats the stuff G3..

Use loads of water with this stuff and not too much pressure as you could burn, or go straight through the paint.

also here is a link for a pro style buffer, key thing in there is the rpm buffing about 1000 rpm max

so a grinder with a pad is a no no

clicky for buffer £45

cheers

I already brought this http://www.homebase....ategoryId=37484

So why would i need this as well http://cgi.ebay.co.u...bayphotohosting

Then someone near my way said i need a G mop pad like this http://www.paints4u....?productID=2499

Im well confussed now... confused.com lol
Someone lighten me up please :D..

#24 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 07:18 PM

That Zymol is the stuff i'm talking about. It's a cleaner wax, which means it fits between a cleaner and a wax (don't rely on it for it's wax protection qualities, they are not good), but it does a good job of cleaning up the paint that you've just compounded in preparation for wax.

As for the buffers, well, you don't need both. one will do, and if you've ordered the homebase one..... The other one is a bit more "pro". it will probably allow you to vary speeds and the pressure that you put on the paint, but I've had no issues at all using one that you've ordered.

The pad you have linked to is effectively a sponge pad. It has a certain density which will mean it has certain abrasive properties (to work in conjunction with the G3) and allow the pad to retain a bit of moisture. Basically it goes with the more "pro" idea of the mop buffer that Karl linked from ebay. I've never found a problem using a cotton bonnet on the orbital polisher AS LONG AS YOU KEEP IT WET! Whatever you do, DON'T buy that G3 pad and put it on a grinder. It will fit, but the speed of the grinder will be WAAAAAAAY too high, and I guarantee you will burn the paint!

Also, when you're doing this, take it slowly. Use light pressure on the polisher. If you have to do it again, then so be it. I'd rather go over it 3 times than do it once by pressing a bit harder and end up burning the paint.

#25 Mark1275GT

Mark1275GT

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 12:10 AM

When i polish off using the wool bonnet after the compound, do i do this dry, or keep it wet ?
How many more wool bonnet's shall i buy. ?
Will i need THE Regular Grade G3 Paste Compound with- (400gm) or more ?
Shall i cover the windows as well.. not gonna start it till im 100% sure i know what im doing lol
Thanks matey..

#26 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 01:22 AM

Just give it a quick wipe down with a clean rag afterwards, and use the wool bonnet dry. put the cleaner/wax and the wax on by hand, and off with a dry, clean wool bonnet.

You'll need as many bonnets as you use treatments (one for compound, one for wax, etc)

400g should cover a mini comfortably, even assuming you give it a couple of goes.

No need to cover the windows, they'll just hose/wash down afterwards. same with the bumpers. It's the rubber seals you need to be careful of because they won't wash down easily without staining.

#27 Mark1275GT

Mark1275GT

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 10:32 PM

Just give it a quick wipe down with a clean rag afterwards, and use the wool bonnet dry. put the cleaner/wax and the wax on by hand, and off with a dry, clean wool bonnet.

You'll need as many bonnets as you use treatments (one for compound, one for wax, etc)

400g should cover a mini comfortably, even assuming you give it a couple of goes.

No need to cover the windows, they'll just hose/wash down afterwards. same with the bumpers. It's the rubber seals you need to be careful of because they won't wash down easily without staining.

So can i use one bonnet for the compounding ? then say 1 wool for cleaner wax, and then one for top wax :w00t:.
Anyway, thanks for all your help thou.. wish me luck :D

#28 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 11:01 PM

a cotton one for putting the compound on, a wool one for taking it off, an other wool one for the cleaner/wax and then a third wool one for the wax (that's 4 in total!) :D

Good luck :w00t:

#29 Mark1275GT

Mark1275GT

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 01:09 PM

Got the polisher today, and on the rubber bit on the endge, its dented it :w00t: ..
Shall i send it back to be replaced ?
Ill add a pic later when im home..

#30 Mark1275GT

Mark1275GT

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 04:54 PM

There picking the polisher back up thursday and replacing it :w00t:.
Couldnt get any wool bonnet from halfords, havnt got any.. was a right sh*t halfords..
Do you know anyother place.. thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users