#1 Johanmini

Johanmini

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 04:36 PM

Hi all,

This spring I need to mount some new tires, I'm now running road legal Avon ACB10 semi slick's. They stick very well in the dry, not driving in the wet so that's no problem. But they wear out really quick. Now i'm searching, but can't seem to find any other tyre in my sizes

Back 245/45/13
Front 195/50/13

Is there anything else, I also do not know what other sizes are possible on the rim, maybe 235/45/13 at the back?
These tires cost about 147 pounds a piece, is there any alternative, or should I stick with these?

Very curious what you guys are using. I do not track the car, maybe I will do this one or two days next season, but road use will be at least 90%.

Greetz

#2 dow62

dow62

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 07 January 2012 - 04:57 PM

Cant help you with the tyres, but would love to see some decent photos of your car.

#3 Johanmini

Johanmini

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 05:13 PM

Cant help you with the tyres, but would love to see some decent photos of your car.

Here are some (not so decent) photo's, gonna do a shoot this spring in order to take some decent pics...

DSC01159.jpg
IMG_0074.JPG
Afb0387.jpg

#4 dow62

dow62

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 07 January 2012 - 05:23 PM

Very nice ! thank you.

#5 Custom_Minis

Custom_Minis

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 08:39 PM

Hi Greetz,

We too have used the ACB10's, we are now considering the Toyo R888. the 225/45 R13 be wide enough for your rears as Wayne (knight motorsport) put 8" rims on that car from memory.
The issue for us is having to use the 185/60 R13 on the front, the tyre is a little too tall for our liking.

Les.

#6 cptkirk

cptkirk

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts
  • Local Club: B.M.C. + Chiminiclub

Posted 09 January 2012 - 04:19 PM

This is all the info I have on 13" track tyres:

Posted Image

#7 Johanmini

Johanmini

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:42 PM

Hmm 60 high is maybe a bit too tall for me to, maybe i'll stick to the avons, let me know if you tried something else!?
Tanks for the help so far!

Hi Greetz,

We too have used the ACB10's, we are now considering the Toyo R888. the 225/45 R13 be wide enough for your rears as Wayne (knight motorsport) put 8" rims on that car from memory.
The issue for us is having to use the 185/60 R13 on the front, the tyre is a little too tall for our liking.

Les.

#8 Custom_Minis

Custom_Minis

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 10:03 PM

Thanks for the list Andy, the manufacturers aren't very mini friendly are they! :(

#9 mini 1000 gsxr

mini 1000 gsxr

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:27 AM

Hi there i am using avon CR500 with good efect did have yokos thought they were rubbish i am used to slicks and the CR500 are good

#10 cptkirk

cptkirk

• Members
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:12 PM

Thanks for the list Andy, the manufacturers aren't very mini friendly are they! :(

Hey Les, my pleasure mate. Its all info I have collected along the way, there are more road based tyres out there in smaller widths but they're not going to be as sticky.

Hi there i am using avon CR500 with good efect did have yokos thought they were rubbish i am used to slicks and the CR500 are good

I would like to try the CR500's, problem being I can get 2 Toyo's for the same price as a single Avon...I think if I were competing it would be a no brainer.

#11 Johanmini

Johanmini

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:35 PM

Hi Greetz,

Les.

This is all the info I have on 13" track tyres:

When I read the info on the Avon internetsite, it looks like the cr500 is more of an al weather tyre, I'm not planning on driving it much in wet conditions, so cr500 is not for me and is equally expensive.

Is there any way to see which compound i'm using at the moment, and it doesn't show on Avon's site that there are 3 compounds. Maybe I should try one compound harder. What compound have you been using Les? You think the toyo R888 60 tall will roll too much? Not sure if this problem occurs much at the front. If theyre half the price, it sure sounds like worth a try, on the other hand, there's always a reason why they are cheaper.

@andy: what size tire do you use at the front, do they roll much? Handy list you've got there.

#12 cptkirk

cptkirk

• Members
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 07:37 AM

You think the toyo R888 60 tall will roll too much? Not sure if this problem occurs much at the front.

@andy: what size tire do you use at the front, do they roll much? Handy list you've got there.

Hi Roy, I can say that you dont get hardly any roll on the fronts with a 60profile, the rear is a different matter, especially with a weighty Honda lump in there (weighty compared to bike engine). That said, some people like the feel of the roll as its more of an indicator as to when the rear might break loose compared to very low profile where theres very little warning at all. So far I have only had the one set of 205/60's on the rear but next time I am going to try the Toyo R888 225/45's medium compound again and see how they fair.

#13 Johanmini

Johanmini

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 07:56 AM

Ah, ok, than I think I might try those 185/60/13 toyo's at the front, not sure if they'll fit my rim, gonna have to ask Wayne which size I'm having...or Les should know?

#14 Custom_Minis

Custom_Minis

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 10:44 PM

Ah, ok, than I think I might try those 185/60/13 toyo's at the front, not sure if they'll fit my rim, gonna have to ask Wayne which size I'm having...or Les should know?

I think they're a 7" rim on the front, I have been using the original scrubbed set of tyres that were on your car. They are nearly shot now though!

Andy, the blue Mini with us at Combe - that had the Toyo R888's on. Do you have a good supplier ??

#15 cptkirk

cptkirk

• Members
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 01:06 PM

I think they're a 7" rim on the front, I have been using the original scrubbed set of tyres that were on your car. They are nearly shot now though!

Andy, the blue Mini with us at Combe - that had the Toyo R888's on. Do you have a good supplier ??

Hi Les, I do have a good supplier, as a member of the Goodwood Road Racing Club I get discount & supply straight from Toyo. I need to get some as my rears are now in the legal limit but I'll wait til I get it back on the road before replacing them, easier on the pocket that way....

Roy - I have the 185/60 R888's on a 7" rim on the front of mine.

Edited by cptkirk, 14 January 2012 - 01:07 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users