#1 mohammed

mohammed

Speeding Along Now

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 12:28 AM

Hi all,

my mini was not starting, thought its the battery, after jump starting it, it still did not start, i posted topic regarding and someone suggested to bump start it as it may be the starter motor.

firstly what could it be of the starter motor..

secondly and most important hoe do i bump start a auto.. i have a mini mayfair auto.. =is it the same way as you bump start a manual

thanks

mohammed

#2 LiamB

LiamB

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 12:40 AM

I wouldn't bump start an Auto mate. Bad idea.

Try a tow start?

#3 giner88

giner88

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 12:45 AM

hi again sorry but i have looked on the net and as far as i can see trying to bump start with an auto needs alot of speed and can wreck the car. so i would not risk it. If it is the starter which it sounds like, try tapping the starter solenoid with the end of a screw driver, using a mallet to tap it. thats how my friend next door starts there land rover sometimes and it seems to work.

#4 Pigeonto

Pigeonto

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Local Club: ISMOC

Posted 15 January 2012 - 01:09 AM

the 1st Mini auto boxes had a unique feature specifically to enable tow starting,oddly enough called the tow start pump but it isnt included on the later ones. i cant remember how you tell the difference between early and late,the manual is out in my van and I'm in bed!.Highly unlikely you have the early box in a Mayfair,especially if its A+ so I wouldnt try it. If you would like to know how to tell the difference,let me know and I'll look tomorrow********EDIT**** later today!!!!look at the time,I'm off

Edited by Pigeonto, 15 January 2012 - 01:13 AM.

#5 bmcecosse

bmcecosse

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,699 posts
  • Local Club: http://www.srps.org.uk/

Posted 15 January 2012 - 10:17 AM

Wow - I learn something new every day!
If there's a starter problem - take it off and check the brushes. But - exactly what are the symptoms - no turning/slow turning/turning normally but not firing up ?????

Edited by bmcecosse, 15 January 2012 - 10:18 AM.

#6 david@skeggyminis

david@skeggyminis

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 15 January 2012 - 11:55 AM

not a good idea but i have done it to my 93 1275 auto and that was put it in 2nd and towed it up to 25 mph and it started

#7 mohammed

mohammed

Speeding Along Now

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 12:14 PM

Thanks I would not of bump start it any way just thought I just get some advice on it.. Thank you everyone I will tap the starter motor and see what happens. Thanks

#8 SA MINI

SA MINI

Previously known as shaunarmes.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts
  • Local Club: yet to join HAMOC

Posted 15 January 2012 - 12:47 PM

I also have a Mayfair auto. You can push mine in every gear without the clutch engaging at all.
Of there is succh a thing as a tow start for these I wouldn't recommend it. I had a much similar problem to you couldn't figure out why it would not start. Have u checked the sensor under the car joining to the gear stick if this is faulty or unpluged it will not allow the car to start

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users