#1 Island Mini

Island Mini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • Local Club: Wish there was one

Posted 17 January 2012 - 11:17 PM

My first attempt at posting this topic got erased so I do apologize for the briefness of this post

Basically I've got a knocking on all 4 cylinders at idle it disappears when the engine is revved and it drives fine. The knocking disappears when all spark plugs are pulled and engine is turned over however it comes back when just one is inserted but still disconnected from the coil.

I have been having serious idle issues before this happened my car has been idling at about 250 rpm and stalled out a couple of times. I've adjusted everything I can find on the throttle and it goes away for a bit but just comes back.
my mini is a Japan 1275 automatic cooper

Thanks guys. Please help!!!!

Also I now get smoke out the throttle body it smells like oil but I may be mistaken

Edited by Island Mini, 17 January 2012 - 11:18 PM.

#2 RayBoogs

RayBoogs

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 09:03 AM

What condition are the plugs in? have you modified the system in anyway? Is it an SPi or MPi?

I had a similar problem with mine (SPi) with smoke out of the throttle body when hot and crappy idle and stalling, turned out to be the Crank sensor and MAP sensor.

#3 Island Mini

Island Mini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 12:24 PM

Just replaced the plugs so they're pretty much new I've tried swapping them the system is pretty much stock with the exception of an exhaust and an air filter

Oh and it's an spi

Thanks

Edited by Island Mini, 18 January 2012 - 12:25 PM.

#4 Island Mini

Island Mini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:33 PM

Hey just had a mechanic check the engine. He says the tapping is coming from the torque converter end I don't know much about this but he mentioned some flex plate which may have cracked. What do you guys think?

#5 RayBoogs

RayBoogs

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 08:35 AM

Torque converter? Your car is an auto so there could be some truth in this. (The torque converter replaces the clutch in a automatic gearbox).

But this wouldn't explain the smoke from the throttle body. Would it? Sorry I can't be of any more help, not really clued up on autos.

#6 Island Mini

Island Mini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 10:22 PM

The source if smoke ive found its an oil leak dripping onto the exhaust

As to the torque converter, I think it makes sence but how on earth do I get a new one or fix this....

#7 jamesmpi

jamesmpi

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts
  • Local Club: Abingdon Mini Owners Club

Posted 21 January 2012 - 01:55 PM

More than likely you'll have to pull the engine out and remove the gearbox to have a better look in side. I have no experience of a series autos but normally the flex plate is attached to the engine and them the torque converter is bolted to flex plate. If one is damaged then there is a good chance that both parts will need replacing. But until you can see them with your own eyes then it's difficult to say....

#8 Island Mini

Island Mini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 05:54 PM

Hmm what about a manual conversion at this point since my auto box is on its way out as it is? Two birds with one stone?

#9 Island Mini

Island Mini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 06:35 PM

Or a vtec conversion. I've found a honda d15 engine on island at a good price. I don't know what's involved here though.

#10 Island Mini

Island Mini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 01:09 AM

Update. I got underneath my cooper today and found a bushing an a bolt poking out the bottom ( having come undone and dropped off) what would be the flywheel housing. Don't quite know what's behind there on an auto that this could have come from.

Edited by Island Mini, 24 January 2012 - 01:11 AM.

#11 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 24 January 2012 - 11:04 AM

The transverse A series torque converter is a single assembly attached to the crank just the same as any manual flywheel, by a taper, keyed washer and large bolt. There is no flex plate. Your mechanic might be leading you on a wild goose chace suggesting the 'flexplate' as a possible cause, and by the sounds of it, doesn't really know what he is looking at. That is not to say that the noise is not coming from the torque converter itself, but there isn't really anything that can go wrong with them.

From the vague description you give, it sounds more like big ends to me. Fit an oil pressure gauge and check the oil pressure at idle.

#12 Island Mini

Island Mini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 02:06 PM

Big ends hmm well ill do a bit of research

Im going to go and try and have a chat with a "mini guru" as he is known on the island maybe i can get some information out of him

#13 xrocketengineer

xrocketengineer

Rocket Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 09:39 PM

Hmm what about a manual conversion at this point since my auto box is on its way out as it is? Two birds with one stone?

Here is one that might be closer to you......

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1275cc-Classic-Mini-Cooper-Engine-Subframe-Manual-Transmission-Carbureted-/190630214199?hash=item2c62723a37&item=190630214199&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users