#1 JamesBrown

JamesBrown

1 Gold star

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 10:18 AM

Morning all,

My Question is this can anyone suggest a good (ready made) tool kit, as I need to start messing around with taking bits off cars, starting with my brothers mini!

#2 CharlieBrown

CharlieBrown

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,587 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 13 May 2004 - 10:30 AM

Hello, asked this already! :) brothers :)

http://www.theminifo...?showtopic=1373

Dork

And your not going anywhere near my mini with tools!

#3 Brawlyrox

Brawlyrox

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,066 posts
  • Local Club: Cornish MOC

Posted 13 May 2004 - 10:32 AM

Theres alot of things depending on this

How much are you willing to spend
How often do you plan to use them
What sorta work will you be doing?

etc etc

Machine Mart do some good ready made setups, that containt virtually Everything. Or you can buy some Halfords Pro tools and build them up for what you want, the Halfords Pro come with a lifetime Guarantee so you are paying a little extra, other than that you can try Teng tools, they do a 7 ft tool complete tool kit for £4000 but it will have stuff you never use.... Or top of the range try Snap on and build yourself your own chest. In the Tech Advice section of the website there is a list of reccomended tools.. so take a look.

#4 P91MER

P91MER

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 10:53 AM

I wouldn't touch halfords stuff, it is prob made out of monkey metal and the prices they charge is stupid.

Machine mart have always been good quality stuff tho, we have got a socket set from them, and they are all still in one piece even with me getting 4 foot extension bars on them when the nut has been to hard to get off!!

Clarke toolkit - this doesn't seem that bad

whatever you do don't get stuff made by 'nu tool' from makro -pay peanuts, get monkeys!!!

if you go for a brilliant make like 'teng' or 'snap-on' they come with a full, life time guarantee so if any of the tools break, you just post it back, and they give you a new one and you just cannot beat the quality of the tools. Saying that, has anybody seen the tools made by laser?? they are very nice!!

but it does depend on how much you want to pay, and how long you want them to last!

#5 P91MER

P91MER

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 11:01 AM

I have been using my dads 'teng' socket set for years, and that is a good kit, the only thing that has broken is the ratchet, but hey, don't they all??

and for spanners i use a draper set, with 2 extra 13mm, a 1/2 AF, and a 10mm!!!

thats basically all you need for a start off, along with some screwdrivers, pliers n that.

Rich

#6 Alburglar

Alburglar

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,331 posts
  • Local Club: Kentish Mini Club

Posted 13 May 2004 - 04:27 PM

I wouldn't touch halfords stuff, it is prob made out of monkey metal and the prices they charge is stupid.

I hate halfords in general, but there mechanical socket sets are really good. They sent a set out to all the car mags and said "do what you like to them you wont be able to break em."

I bought the big 200 piece set and I am very happy with it.

#7 Alburglar

Alburglar

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 04:29 PM

I also run the tool dept. for my work and I would say that DRAPER make the most shoddy tools ever. I don't know how they are still in business.

#8 lewis

lewis

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,322 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey

Posted 13 May 2004 - 04:47 PM

my grandads giving me one for free, its one for the mini ahahaha. contains everything i need apparently hmmm................the old man may be bragging on that area! do minis need a universal rachet frequently?

#9 Madmax

Madmax

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,638 posts
  • Local Club: Grimsby & Louth MOC

Posted 13 May 2004 - 07:10 PM

well...i work for halfords, although you may think im biased, i tell you this, most halfords tools outlast draper, teng, even snap-on on some occasions. nothing wrong with them, lifetime warranty too.

#10 Bluemini

Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 4,436 posts
  • Local Club: Blacktop Bombers

Posted 13 May 2004 - 09:24 PM

Machine mart have always been good quality stuff tho

I used to work for Machine Mart and their tools are very poor quality, I would say 40% of the stuff they sell gets returned because it breaks. I also used to work for a nation tool hire company who used draper tools, these too were of VERY poor quality and you could break a spanner jus by showing it a tight nut!!

I personaly think that Halfords tools are excellent value for money, most of my tool box is from there and I've never broken a thing. Also, their 'Pro' range has a lifetime garantee, which at the cheap prices they charge is even better value! Correct me if I'm wrong Madmax, but arent the Halfords 'Pro' range made by Kamasa or someone like that?

Also, another good thing about Halfords is that you can either buy a full set of spanners of sockets, etc or you can buy them individualy and jus get the tools you will need as and when you need them.

Apart from the tools tho, I wouldnt buy anything else from there...

#11 Alburglar

Alburglar

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 15 May 2004 - 07:13 AM

My Sentiments exactly

#12 P91MER

P91MER

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 15 May 2004 - 10:38 AM

Humm,, well i've just been proper blown out of my window!! lol

This is what i have been led to beleive about EVERY bit of halfords stuff, so i just asumed that the tools would be like the stuff u can get off the market!!

Has anybody seen tools made by laser??

Rich,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users