#16 charie t

charie t

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,153 posts
  • Local Club: wreake mini wanderers

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:18 PM

I didn't get charged any duty on mine :) was fearing the import tax but was all good

Brent is good like that.

#17 Biggelmo

Biggelmo

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Local Club: Eastbourne & Distric

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:38 PM

If you ask the seller in the States to mark the package "Warranty Replacement Part" then you wont be charged import duty.

#18 jackmason

jackmason

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts
  • Local Club: Essex Mini Club

Posted 25 January 2012 - 12:39 PM

If you ask the seller in the States to mark the package "Warranty Replacement Part" then you wont be charged import duty.

They have already despatched it now, will bere that in mind though for any other purchases from overseas, thanks.

#19 jackmason

jackmason

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 01:14 PM

Small update, the megajolt unit arrived this morning.

Didnt get charged any import duty, unless it arrives in the post in the next few days asking for it.

The unit is alot smaller than i had imagined which will make mounting and hiding it alot easier.

The babybel is for a size comparison and because im currentally on my lunch.
Posted Image

Im goin to try and make use of the standard com port adapter and see if i can mount it to the back of the little panel im gong to make.

Might try and get down the scrappy this weekend and find the edis unit and bits. Anyone know what tools will be needed?

#20 afoggo

afoggo

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 03:17 PM

i dont think you will get charged, usually they ask for it when they drop the package off, i certainly havent had any letters wanting tax and thats been a few weeks now :)

tool wise, i just took my little 1/4" socket set, ( range of sockets, screwdriver, torx ) you will need a T25/27 if i can remember rightly to take off the edis module everything else was rusty screws for me! i do reccomend taking some spanners as well, i couldnt get access to crank sensors with my rachet and a spanner would of been ideal! think they are 8mm bolts that hold them in.

cutters for cutting free off the wiring loom, remember to leave a decent length tail of wiring to it can help you when making your new wiring loom :)

cant think of anything else

#21 jackmason

jackmason

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 03:59 PM

i dont think you will get charged, usually they ask for it when they drop the package off, i certainly havent had any letters wanting tax and thats been a few weeks now :)

tool wise, i just took my little 1/4" socket set, ( range of sockets, screwdriver, torx ) you will need a T25/27 if i can remember rightly to take off the edis module everything else was rusty screws for me! i do reccomend taking some spanners as well, i couldnt get access to crank sensors with my rachet and a spanner would of been ideal! think they are 8mm bolts that hold them in.

cutters for cutting free off the wiring loom, remember to leave a decent length tail of wiring to it can help you when making your new wiring loom :)

cant think of anything else

Excellent, worked out quite cheap then.

I was thinking of taking my toolbox with me and borrowing my dads small ratched set with some torx bits too.

Ok i will see how i get on, ive found a scrappy with lots of perfect donor cars so will be going there tomorrow. Was going to keep as much of the standard wiring as i could to help with the loom.

Thanks for the info :)

#22 jackmason

jackmason

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 05:15 PM

Well... Been busy today doing more on getting my engine together.

Stripped my head as im getting aload of work done on it. Bigger valves, porting etc

Also made my megajolt switch plate up today. Decided not to use an LED and wire the blue light behind the switch to come on when the buttons pressed.

Anyway, heres the images.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#23 coopdog

coopdog

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,506 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 02:05 PM

looks good,
hope your going to polish that plate up:L

#24 jackmason

jackmason

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 04:25 PM

looks good,
hope your going to polish that plate up:L

Thanks, Yeh i was going to at the time but run out of Autosol so assembled it for now to keep it all together. Will get some more and get it gleaming.

Routed around the garage today and found a reel of shielded cable and some pnematic pipe and connectors which will be ideal for the MAP sensor connectors to the manifold.
Posted Image

#25 jackmason

jackmason

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 06:30 PM

Ok, i finally managed to get down the breakers today and the first car i come across has everything i need. Perfect!

He only wanted £30

This is it all cleaned up.
Posted Image

Gonna make a start on the wiring tomorrow so i can get my dashboard back in.

Also, popped into halfords the other day and grabbed myself some nice new shiney plugs with the trade card for £4.43 (RRP £11)
NGK BPR6ES
Posted Image

#26 jackmason

jackmason

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 05:56 PM

Been busy today sorting out the loom for the megajolt. Lots of soldering, heat shrinking and electrical tape.

Been using the installation guide from Autosportlabs which is excellent.
Posted Image

This is the loom all complete

Posted Image

And the Megajolt unit mounted
Posted Image

Need to get the engine in soon so i can get everything connected back up and start testing which wires to connect to.

#27 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,416 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 12 February 2012 - 06:14 PM

Looking good so far,

Am I the only one that got stung by customs for VAT? :( The Post Office hold your parcel hostage if they pick on you, it might be some of their offices are keener than others.

#28 holmesy

holmesy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 06:21 PM

Looking good so far :lol:

#29 stevede

stevede

As seen on TV

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
  • Local Club: None

Posted 12 February 2012 - 06:26 PM

Looking good so far,

Am I the only one that got stung by customs for VAT? :( The Post Office hold your parcel hostage if they pick on you, it might be some of their offices are keener than others.

Think this is why I'll get mine from Trigger Wheels. My luck would mean I'd get the charges and my saving would then cease to be.

#30 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,416 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 12 February 2012 - 06:30 PM

To be fair, it is the only thing I've ever been charged on, it was a self assembly kit too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users