jackmason

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts
  • Local Club: Essex Mini Club

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:36 PM

Hi all,

Picked the car up from the rolling road (Atspeed Racing) earler.

Apparently the weber settings were pretty close to what they needed to be, hes downsized the main jets abit and changed the idle to help the progression.

I hadn't mounted the weber properly, it wasn't causing problems but could have so now its done properly.

Atspeed arnt a fan of the megajolt system and dont recommend it but are happy to sort it if its what you decide to run (like me)

They have had to use a 2D map, (whatever that means).

Anyway heres the power details...

82.63HP @ 5350rpm (at the wheels)
81.12 ft/lbs Torque

click on the small image to view fullsize
Posted ImagePosted Image

#77 l_jonez

l_jonez

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts
  • Local Club: south wales mini club

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:21 PM

How can you mount it incorrectly?

They don't recommend it?

Doesn't fill me with much confidence

#78 jackmason

jackmason

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:37 PM

I fitted some nylon spacers with rubber o rings in between the manifold and carb but had tightened the bolts right up so it was really solid.

He's fitted this kit which allows some movement and vibration absorption.
http://www.webcon.co...xd.asp?id=10401

They don't recommend it?

Theres nothing wrong with megajolt, its a perfect way to get the ignition timing spot on without it ever changing and it has plenty of other functions and features which are very useful.

In there opinion it doesn't help gain any power, they suggest keeping with the standard distributor as its easier to adjust/modify and is cheaper. (less RR time adjusting)

The ECU system they recommend is the Omex system but this is pricey. It has a massive map table (36x36 i think) and has a very fast processor which can deal with the rapid change in the manifold pressure.

#79 l_jonez

l_jonez

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:06 PM

I fitted some nylon spacers with rubber o rings in between the manifold and carb but had tightened the bolts right up so it was really solid.

He's fitted this kit which allows some movement and vibration absorption.
http://www.webcon.co...xd.asp?id=10401

They don't recommend it?

Theres nothing wrong with megajolt, its a perfect way to get the ignition timing spot on without it ever changing and it has plenty of other functions and features which are very useful.

In there opinion it doesn't help gain any power, they suggest keeping with the standard distributor as its easier to adjust/modify and is cheaper. (less RR time adjusting)

The ECU system they recommend is the Omex system but this is pricey. It has a massive map table (36x36 i think) and has a very fast processor which can deal with the rapid change in the manifold pressure.

I know there's nothing wrong with Megajolt Ive used it for 8/9 years.

I was questioning why they wouldn't recommend it.

#80 holmesy

holmesy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:38 PM

they are some nice figures, just make sure you keep the weber in tune. lost two engines due to webers falling out of tune then frying pistons :(

#81 Spud_133

Spud_133

mmm potato and cheese....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,689 posts
  • Local Club: C&T Classics

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:43 PM

What fords are the edis 4 and other bits from? Cheers

#82 jackmason

jackmason

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:21 AM

they are some nice figures, just make sure you keep the weber in tune. lost two engines due to webers falling out of tune then frying pistons :(

Thanks, i was pretty please with them myself. How did yours go out of tune? i thought u need to actually replace the jets for that to happen.

What fords are the edis 4 and other bits from? Cheers

There plenty of information about the megajolt system including some of the cars you can get the parts from at the website below.
http://www.autosport...tallation_guide

#83 Spud_133

Spud_133

mmm potato and cheese....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,689 posts
  • Local Club: C&T Classics

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:40 AM

Thanks, i was pretty please with them myself. How did yours go out of tune? i thought u need to actually replace the jets for that to happen.

There plenty of information about the megajolt system including some of the cars you can get the parts from at the website below.
http://www.autosport...tallation_guide

Cheers for the link.

Webers are renowned for falling out of tune.

#84 Turbo Phil

Turbo Phil

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts
  • Local Club: Cumbria Classic Mini Club

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:08 AM

That's some decent power, looks like it'll be an excellent "hot" road motor. Nice one !

#85 jackmason

jackmason

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 04:36 PM

That's some decent power, looks like it'll be an excellent "hot" road motor. Nice one !

Thanks, couldn't have made it there without your handywork on the head. Much appreciated

#86 Turbo Phil

Turbo Phil

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts
  • Local Club: Cumbria Classic Mini Club

Posted 28 April 2012 - 04:49 PM

No worries !
It's strange what the RR said about Megajolt though. There's no way it's quicker to properly modify a dizzy advance curve to suit an engine. You need to take it apart to alter the springs & weights, with megajolt all you have to do is type a number into the map, which takes seconds.
You can swing the dizzy easily to give the correct timing at idle or to give the correct total advance but the chances of it being correct throughout the rest of the rev range is minimal. With Megajolt this can be done so easily. Anyway you're sorted now !

#87 jackmason

jackmason

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:00 PM

No worries !
It's strange what the RR said about Megajolt though. There's no way it's quicker to properly modify a dizzy advance curve to suit an engine. You need to take it apart to alter the springs & weights, with megajolt all you have to do is type a number into the map, which takes seconds.
You can swing the dizzy easily to give the correct timing at idle or to give the correct total advance but the chances of it being correct throughout the rest of the rev range is minimal. With Megajolt this can be done so easily. Anyway you're sorted now !

Exactly what i thought, and also all the other features it has. I didn't want to stand there arguing with them so i just said "yehh, well i wanted to do it so i did" Might tweak the Map they have done and see if i can improve anything. (not that it needs much improvement)

#88 l_jonez

l_jonez

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:32 PM

Also seems stupid to only use a 2D map, makes having a load map/tps pointless

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users