The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:20 AM

Hi guys and welcome to the official run thread for the Brands Hatch to Nurburgring Retro Run 2012.

OK, firstly a brief set of details:

This year's run will have us meeting at 7am on Wednesday the 5th September. We will be leaving at 8am to head for Dover.
The outbound ferry is 10:00 on the 5th September Dover-Dunkirk, to be booked by yourself through Norfolkline.
The campsite we use is Camping Am Nurburgring, We will be arriving on the 5th, camping is paid for in DAYS, not nights stayed, so we have to pay for the 5th-11th (7 days total). We will arrange the campsite, but you will need to pay camping fees upon arrival at the campsite's reception.
Return ferry is set as 14:01 (Dunkirk to Dover) on Tuesday the 11th, however, there is the option of staying at the Etap in Charleroi to break up the return journey on the night of the 11th. This obviously means you'll need to change your return ferry to Wednesday the 12th (the 12:01 is ideal). I will add here that I know some people have booked for the 11th already. IF you decide that you want to stay at the Etap on the way back, then it shouldn't be a problem to amend your return fare in advance to accomodate this extra stay. This isn't an official part of the run, but it certainly makes the return journey more chillaxed!

Links:

www.retrorun.co.uk <-- The official Nurburgring Retro Run Forum

https://www.quidco.com/home/ <--- register on there to get cashback, then search for Norfolkline and you'll get up to 7% back. There is also the option of using http://www.topcashback.co.uk, either way, you can get cashback on the ferry booking.

http://www.camping-am-nuerburgring.de/

http://www.etaphotel...rt/index.shtml#

I have stayed at the Travelodge in Thurrock on the night before on all of the runs I've attended, it's ideal for me as it breaks up the journey down.
http://www.travelodg...info?hotelId=69 but that's optional.

UPDATE: http://www.travelodg...info?hotelId=23 is a cheaper Travelodge and is nearer to Dover actually. I'm going to book that one instead.

http://nurburgring.org.uk/ Ben Lovejoy's site is an excellent guide to the details of the 'ring. Please take as much time as possible to read up on the safety sections of that site, plus also the local attractions etc. that are worth seeing.

So, now I've got yer attention, you want to know how to book, yeah?

How do I become a runner?

If you're a driver, you need to pay £30 to book a driver's run pack from us. This will include:
  • Pair of magnetic door plaques (let me know if magnetic is no good to you and I'll sort something else out)
  • BH2N Retro Run 2012 T-shirt
  • Donation of £5 to Macmillan Cancer support
  • Contribution of £5 to firewood at the campsite (it's only free on the weekends, so we need to pay for it during the week)
  • Front and rear "Nurburgring Retro Run 2012" window stickers for your car
  • Side window "retrorun.co.uk" stickers
  • Campsite discount (amount TBC, but probably worth 1-2 Euros per day)
  • Run pack (a printed guide with a few things to do locally, hints and tips about driving in Europe and also some maps and postcodes)
  • Access to the official 2012 runners lounge to organise stuff together
If you've got a passenger, you need to pay £20 to get them a passenger's run pack, which includes:
  • Retro Run 2012 T-shirt
  • £5 donation to Macmillan Cancer Support
  • £5 contribution to firewood for the campsite
  • Campsite discount (amount TBC, but probably worth 1-2 Euros per day)
  • Access to the official 2012 runners lounge to organise stuff together
Retro-Run hoodies, T-shirts, mugs and stickers for yer retro car are also available if you would like to help us promote the run. These will be for sale individually so you'll need to keep an eye out in the for sale section on www.retrorun.co.uk I'll be giving a few freebies away here and there (T-shirts and mugs mainly) so keeps yer eyes peeled on the forum.

There is an application form uploaded into this thread, in which you will need to give me the following details:
Username (on here or TMF)
Full name
D.O.B.
Car type/colour
Car reg.
Passenger details
T-shirt sizes
Phone number (mobile and home)
Email address
Contact details for Next Of Kin
Whether you're willing to lead a convoy
Whether you've got a CB radio or not

BOOM

Attached File  BH2NRR app form 2012.pdf   35.88K   20 downloads

You will be paying via paypal hopefully, but if you can't do paypal message me and let me know how you would like to pay (postal orders, cheques or cash in hand at a show/event before the run are acceptable).

Once you've signed up to the run, you'll be able to access some hidden sections of this forum which will enable you to exchange locations, phone numbers and other details with other runners to arrange convoys, camping gear sharing, meets before the run etc.

So, what is a retro car?

We all know that classic Minis of all ages are welcome on the run, right? So whether you're in a 1964 Cooper S (I wish), a 1986 Mini City E, or a 2001 Sportpack, you're more than welcome. The more minis the merrier.....as long as they're not BMW ones, sorry, no BMW MINIs will be allowed to sign up.

To classify as a retro car, your car needs to either be 1990 or earlier, or your model and mark of car needs to have been first produced no later than 1990.

Examples of cars that would fall within the ruling:

1991 205 GTi
1992 R32 Skyline
1993 Corrado
1992 MKII Golf GTi

So, confused? If a 1992 MKII Golf GTi is Retro, is a 1992 MKIII? Afraid not. If there's any confusion then we will allow exceptions for cars that we like or can be deemed retro! I know, we're fickle, but it's a privately run site and run, so we can do what we want.

Main things we don't want on the run (sorry if I offend anyone, but it's all to help clarify)

1995 Corsa B with bodykit
1998 Impreza
1999 Evo
MKIII Golf VR6
BMW MINI

You get the idea now, yeah? It's all about old school cool! IF, you have a borderline car, or even one that you know falls outside the guidelines, please contact us, or put a post up in the "Am I Retro" section of the forum and we'll judge your car on its own merit. Sometimes, it's hard to set up a rule that's fair to all and although we want retro cars and Minis along, some cars are still cool and may well be allowed on the run :D

What do I need to do to be prepared?
  • Well, your car obviously needs to be MOT tested and taxed for the duration of the trip, obviously insured.
  • We also expect all runners to have European breakdown cover and may ask for proof
  • You need both parts of your driver's license with you
  • You are advised to take sensible amounts of spares if you're driving something rare/modified
  • You need a hi-vis jacket or waistcoat for every occupant in the car
  • You need a safety triangle
  • You need to have as much paperwork with you as possible (I take logbook, insurance cover note, MOT certificate and also the paper part of my driving license all in an A4 wallet, then keep my plastic driver's license in my normal wallet.
  • You'll need Euros, I'd say take around 200-300 with you in cash, then get the rest out of ATMs when you're there (unless your bank charges you a lot for that, mine doesn't).
You can look into insurance for the 'ring, but I'm not going to start that whole conversation about insurance and the 'ring in here.

Once you've applied for the run and paid for the run pack, you need to book the ferries, as I've covered elsewhere, you can make changes to your ferry booking, it's easier to do so in advance over the phone, but you can do it at the gate if you/they have time to do so. There may be an admin fee for changes (either passenger details or car registration). I've not personally tried changing the return date, but I'm told that lots of people have set off a day, or even two days earlier than planned in the past and have had no problems, just got straight on the ferry after changing at the gates. Same applies for going out there, if you turn up to the gate late you can often just drive onto the next ferry (they're at 2 hour intervals).

If you have any question (or indeed additions) regarding the above, please either post here or PM me or another member of staff on the RR forum.

The main idea of the run is to have fun and experience the great German countryside, the track itself and also to meet new friends. I've set up the Retro Run forum so that we can organise the run off TMF. The forum is intended to help potential runners get to know other runners before committing to the run and also to help organise convoys to Brands, camping kit sharing, tool kit sharing, passenger rides and all that kind of thing.

There are a couple of areas on the Retro Run forum that are locked so that only moderators and signed up runners can see them (once given access by me). I'd like to keep the organising of convoys, sharing of phone numbers etc. in those sections please. Other than that, we don't really have any strict rules on here, so enjoy yourselves!

If anybody on here doesn't already have me on Facebook or on MSN, my email address is [email protected], my full name is Matt Howard, so feel free to add me if you want a chat.

Also, I'll be at Bingley, MIke174 will be at Brooklands (should have a stand there all being well), we'll be at Retro Rides Gathering, we'll be at all sorts of shows this year.....look out for people wearing BH2N Retro Run T-shirts, or Retro Run hoodies and come say hi. It truly is an amazing place to go and going as part of a run like this is a good crack. It's not clicky, it's just a chilled week that lots of people enjoy. It's not for everyone, sure, but you can't please all of the people, all of the time. ;)

Edited by The Matt, 03 February 2012 - 02:49 PM.

#2 Black.Ghost

Black.Ghost

Formerly known as TneMini.

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:23 AM

Question for you. The first time I went, it wasn't included and the second time, we had an hour, although it poured down, several people spun and where lucky.

I am of course talking about track time included at the Ring, even if its just for a parade lap. I'm assuming that its not possible this time round?

#3 The Matt

The Matt

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:28 AM

Unfortunately, it's already a no-go. They won't let us have a parade lap at all Si. :(

#4 stocky

stocky

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 02:46 PM

Hey, am interested in going on this. A mate and myself are on about splitting the driving between us with him on my insurance, but we are confused about if we would need 2 driver packs or just 1 driver runner pack and 1 passenger?

Sorry but we are very thick lol

#5 The Matt

The Matt

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 05:34 PM

Not thick. Good question. All you need is one of each. Driver pack and passenger pack.

#6 minikidx14

minikidx14

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • Name: Ross

Posted 12 February 2012 - 11:44 PM

What about if there is no driver, just 2 passengers :shifty:

#7 ministar

ministar

you ate the whole wheel of cheese?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 11:56 PM

Then you've got a problem, they dont allow boats on the 'ring......

#8 The Matt

The Matt

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 02:03 PM

Then you're either driving a love bug (are you driving a love bug???), or you're a cheaterer! Are you a cheaterer?? :ermm:

#9 stocky

stocky

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 03:20 PM

lol, ok ap form should be sent tomorrow :-D

#10 The Matt

The Matt

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 03:41 PM

I need to update this post too.

The start venue of Brands Hatch has been cancelled for this year due to an olympic event.

We are in the process of arranging a different start venue nearby. It looks like Buckmore Park are willing to let us meet there (and do a parade lap), they're a karting circuit. If anyone is booking a hotel for the night before, Dartford Travelodge is a good option, or somewhere near Chatham? Buckmore Park is just off the M20. Details will be confirmed ASAP, but we'll be meeting there at around 7am on the morning of the run. :D

#11 miniman retford

miniman retford

Most Definitely Not Beer Powered....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,553 posts
  • Local Club: Lincs ford group

Posted 13 February 2012 - 04:14 PM

Damn why am i reading this thread ? >_<

Edited by miniman retford, 13 February 2012 - 04:27 PM.

#12 Teapot

Teapot

TMF Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,010 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 04:36 PM

In case anyone is trying to decide whether to take the plunge ......

GO!

Huey is still proud of the trophy he won in '05 and the whole trip was just one WOW moment after another. The parade lap on an early autumn morning on that amazing circuit was certainly a highlight and it's a shame you'll miss that.

Credit again to tmf organisers.

#13 The Matt

The Matt

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 04:55 PM

Thanks Mr-T! :D

It seriously is a great trip. I personally am not thaaaat bothered about lapping it up on the 'ring. But for a lot of people, that's what they go for.

I'm trying to persuade Sian and Nick, Julie and Steph are coming, Mike is coming, Dave miiiight be coming...do it Nige, it'll practically be a Bingley reunion.....ony without the drunken Shifty to violate people! >_<

The countryside there is amazing too, I love driving around the local roads there, really excited about this year's run.

Cars signed up so far:

7 minis (various stages of tune, 1970 Cooper S, 1971 VX 16v, 1979 K-Series, 1993 2.0 VTEC......1999 Cooper and all sorts between)
4 205s (a 1.4XS, a 1.6 GTi, a 1.9GTi and a 1.9 MI-16 converted one)
A VeeDub Polo
Nova Saloon

Others thinking of coming:
K-series powered Skoda Rapide
K-series Clubman
VTEC Mini or two
Polo Breadvan

1275 Cooper

#14 minikidx14

minikidx14

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • Name: Ross

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:27 PM

Then you're either driving a love bug (are you driving a love bug???), or you're a cheaterer! Are you a cheaterer?? :ermm:

Remote control :proud:

#15 stocky

stocky

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:30 PM

Sounds good, app sent off this afternoon. count us in! All I have to do is get the mini sorted before then.....

Oh and nige, you know you should go. stop kidding yourself haha

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users