#1 stitch-86

stitch-86

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:53 AM

Hi All,

Has anyone on here used either of the following spits when restoring there car?

I'm prefering the one that doesnt use a scaffold tube, but surely that puts a fair amount of pressure on the shell (especially if I am to be replacing sills & rear valance & boot floor repair panel) or am I just being a little silly.

Would have a go at making one, but as I havent even started welding / learning to weld yet purchasing one looks to be a better option. Also as i need something to hold my shell off of the ground whilst I rebuild the subframes.

Or unless someone has one for sale? (may just post a wanted Ad now)

Cheers

Richard

Scaffold tube method
http://www.ebay.co.u...=item35b9228026

Non-scaffold tube method (which I prefer)
http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1423.l2649

#2 lrostoke

lrostoke

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,923 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:12 AM

No experience of the 2nd one, but scaffold method used twice. Works a treat but I made my own.

We replaced the whole floor on one including sills, plus lots of boot repairs and rear valance.

The 2nd one looks good and does look like it can be locked into numerous positions. We found having the car vertical with whichever sill at the bottom was all that was really needed for good access.

Also you get a better center of gravity if the pole goes through the centre of the rear seat, so you may need to drill a hole there

#3 Welshminiman

Welshminiman

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:37 AM

I've been tempted to get the latter myself, but am unsure if it would fit into my garage (would need it to fit a van) but I would also need to make sure the rear wheel arch housings are sound (they have come away from the side panels, and are 75% intact to the load bed floor, but the load bed floor has come away from the body sides (in places) and with the main floor completely missing, I think I would be quite hard for me to fit it the spit.

#4 benjy_18

benjy_18

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:41 AM

they both use the same mounts to the car (the 2nd type just uses additional mounting) im using the scaffold tube type and its been fine. for the moment if you dont want to buy one and weld it together, try and get hold of some axel stands of 3-4 pallets to sit the car onto while the subframes come off

#5 stitch-86

stitch-86

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:53 PM

May have to get some pallets......... Didnt actually think about that!

At the moment the front of the car is sitting on axel stands and the rear wheels, just thinking ahead, as chances are the car will be on the jig for a couple of months before I get around to finishing it / prepped for painting.

I think the scaffold pole may have won, for a fully assembled one £180 delivered, over £270 (collected) for the other type -

I'm guessing Spits are one of the better ways of working on the underside of the car?

#6 benjy_18

benjy_18

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:57 PM

yes, definetly one of the best things ive bought for the project so far

#7 lrostoke

lrostoke

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,923 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:11 PM

Even better if you can get a spit with wheels on, My garage is 9ft wide would have been useful to be able to move it sideways when mounted to give more room for working.

#8 ANON

ANON

More Jammy than a Jammy dodger.

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Local Club: pony

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:14 PM

have got a few of the scaff pole ones, wouldn't fancy using the other type if i was doing major work on the floor/steps/sills etc.

#9 Italianjoblofty

Italianjoblofty

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:11 PM

Just to let you know i have used the leter of the 2 spits and found it very useful. I actually bought it from that guys on ebay lol. So yes i would recomand that, Although it was only £180 when i bought it. Seems he has had alot of orders and has put his prices up :)

#10 semag

semag

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Local Club: Newport Mini Owners Club

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:34 PM

I have one the non pole type, I bought the self assembly version, it was relatively easy to construct but I must say that I was dissapointed with the quality of the engineering i.e. box section lengths not cut square & holes not drilled square through the box section. having said all that its a good idea that works very well once you work out which holes to use so that the shell can be turned over easily by one person. On the whole I would recommend it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users