24 replies to this topic

#1 PushingTin

PushingTin

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:06 PM

Now then chaps, this is not Zcar specific but I'm sure one of you has the answer, I've searched throught the forum for answers but I need a 'bit' more...

I already have my steering column lowered but the flat angle of the wheel is still painful, running on slicks for half an hour gets to be a bit arduous. So.... I want to alter the the steering column so that the wheel is more vertical, I realise I'll need one or two universal joints and bracketry etc but does anyone have a real drawing of how they did it, I'm not the most technical and would love to see a finished solution in its entirety rather than 'buy an allegro one and hey presto' etc.
I can follow drawings or series of pictures but there's little actually out there that i can find to such a common issue...
Any ideas??

Thanks

PT

#2 edsmini

edsmini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:48 AM

PM sent

Ed

#3 PushingTin

PushingTin

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:41 PM

Thanks Ed, it's not appeared yet,,,,,,

#4 kcchan

kcchan

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:03 PM

I think it's more a case of buying the UJ's and bar/tube and finding a position that suits you, then building it to suit.

I've got all the components for mine but I haven't cut or welded anything yet as I haven't mounted my seat yet. Depending on how central and how high your seat is, your column length and UJ position may differ to everybody else. I guess thats why nobody has documented their dimensions etc.

I have images of my intended set up if it's any use to you.

#5 PushingTin

PushingTin

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:24 PM

Any images would be great, I appreciate that 'personal' dimensions would be different, just a decent look at framework etc would help greatly.

Thanks!!

#6 benjy_18

benjy_18

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:01 PM

ive done this on my project (exactly the same as kcchan's but mines a little more rough and i think hes mounting his slightly differently. but if you have a look at my project thread (linked below) on around page 12 onwards you can see how i made mine and i think there are some photos of it finished in the car with the seat in place.

hope this helps
Ben

#7 edsmini

edsmini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:37 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

hope this helps.

Ed

#8 kcchan

kcchan

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:40 PM

For my column mount, I'm going for something very similar to this:

Posted Image

Here are the bits I'm actually using (minus the adjustable spanner):

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'm not actually going to use the steel collars pictured on the shafts.

Edited by kcchan, 20 February 2012 - 07:46 PM.

#9 PushingTin

PushingTin

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:34 PM

You guys are the best! Thanks, one more question, some have used the steering column without a shroud and some with it. What's the thinking behind that, pro's and cons? Once modified what did you do if you wanted to keep your ignition barrel and/or indicator stalks?

Thanks

PT

#10 edsmini

edsmini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:11 PM

my cowl was there to accommodate the stalks etc and the ignition barrel, however the barrel did not provide steering lock but it looked the part when finished.

Ed

#11 kcchan

kcchan

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:12 PM

I've got a stalk coming from mine and I also have a push button start where the barrel used to be on mine so I'm keeping mine.

Posted Image

Thats why I'm going for a mount similar to the one I posted, so that the cowl can still be fitted with minimal trimming. Shouldn't be too hard to imagine, I would post pic's but I haven't got that far yet

Edited by kcchan, 21 February 2012 - 10:18 PM.

#12 PushingTin

PushingTin

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:22 PM

Great ideas boys!! Keep them coming!

PT

#13 TopCatCustom

TopCatCustom

Previously known as C4NN0N.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 04:33 PM

Has anyone managed to find any new UJ's which fit the steering rack spline? Or does one have to chop the bottom off an old rack to use? Just not over keen on that as not sure how the casting would hold up when/where welded, especially when it's under heavy abuse in my application (tight LSD and rallying).

#14 2000lukey

2000lukey

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:03 PM

Ford fiesta and ka, I think they are the ones I used. The other end connects to a hex bar section, pm me if you want a part number. Cheers

#15 TopCatCustom

TopCatCustom

Previously known as C4NN0N.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:11 PM

They actually fit the original mini steering rack spline? Do they also have the pinch bolt to lock it up? If so I'd definitely like the part numbers!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users