#1 v8mini

v8mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts
  • Local Club: Minis on the run

Posted 21 February 2006 - 12:09 AM

didnt think i had any pics of my project in my current car, but the misses, just reminded me where there was some, so heres a bit about it.

origionaly inspired by Viku's mini in Finland "viku's mini" who put me intouch with Spag www.v8mini.co.uk. after seeing some of spags basic methods of engineering work, i figured i should be able to do somthing simular.

so i already had my old 1275GT that had been sat in the garage for years waiting attention, got hold of a 3.5 Rover V8 and an Austin Princess gearbox and set about making adaptor plates ect and making it fit.
the 1275 gt ended up being too rotten to use as did the next mini i had given me, but served well for development purposes.

last year i brought a 87 mayfair that was already road worthy, to transfer all my work into, target was for MITP 05. got it there, admittedly it was towed. (same applies to billing show and stanford hall) so you might have seen it, althought it only stands out when engine is running ;D

still got some issues to sort, mainly due to weight transfer when backing off throttle arfter hard acceleration, car goes all over the road, now got coilover to fit allround.
also needs a fire wall fitting between me and engine, gets a bit too hot too quick
some more pics and a couple of videos on my web site

Attached File  TMF1.JPG   123.89K   78 downloads
Attached File  TMF2.JPG   130.33K   160 downloads
Attached File  TMF3.JPG   122.09K   185 downloads
Attached File  TMF4.JPG   129.9K   213 downloads
Attached File  TMF5.JPG   148.23K   178 downloads

#2 sevretta

sevretta

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 12:15 AM

Thats the dogs mate....the v8 sounds better than any bike motor....no competition in my eyes.....i want one.....now where is that small block chevy motor hiding......

#3 Oldskoolbaby

Oldskoolbaby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 12:17 AM

I see your car at billing and Stanford. Souned the Bees knees when you decided to start it up and give it a blip of the throttle. Cracking car though mate. Very clever ;D

#4 dean_chad

dean_chad

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 12:31 AM

sounds awsome hoe did you set up the linkage?

#5 Brawlyrox

Brawlyrox

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,066 posts
  • Local Club: Cornish MOC

Posted 21 February 2006 - 08:22 AM

Awsome car and I must admit I did not know where on earth the sound was coming from when I was outside at Bingley.

#6 Adrenaline Junkie

Adrenaline Junkie

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 03:07 PM

Sounds awesome, but for me the bike engines incredble rev range makes me feel all fuzzy and warm ;D

I just can't wait to get my R1 mini!

#7 nmt_oli

nmt_oli

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 04:32 PM

Thats the dogs mate....the v8 sounds better than any bike motor....no competition in my eyes.....i want one.....now where is that small block chevy motor hiding......

I agree on the sound- but i wouldnt personally put a chevy block in a mini, they are very heavy. the great thing about the rover V8s is there aluminium, so very light, makign them more suited to a mini.

i need to find a small block chevy engine for my chevy though, that will be next project. got a 1982 G20 van (think A-team) but its onyl got the straight 6, very disapointing lol!

________

Looks like that will be an amazing mini when finished, hearing that sound come from a mini would be sooo odd!

#8 v8mini

v8mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 06:11 PM

for the linkage i copied the ABS Freestyle kit, that’s also where it got the rear tie rods to fix the rear hubs.
basicly reverse the rods so it comes out of the rear, then it doglegs under the gearbox and back up

Attached File  linkage.JPG   13.81K   60 downloads

also as on the freestyle, im using front drums modified with rear back plates for hand brake. i have been thinking of looking into the MGF rear subframe, allegedly a reversed metro subfame, but would benefit rear disks and probably stronger hubs/cv joints

I have wanted a V8 for a few years now, the misses wouldn’t let me buy a TVR thinking i wound kill my self in it, but has let me build a V8 mini death trap instead. Taken 4 years on and off, so i suppose im 4 years older

i do like the bike engined minis, but much prefer the V8 rumble

#9 jameswildcooper

jameswildcooper

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 07:16 PM

that just sounds soooooo amazing its my dream to have a mid engined V8 mini but im only 17 :'( nice on thats one gorgeous sounding mini ;D

#10 TJenkos

TJenkos

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 07:25 PM

A V8 mini is much more individual than an R1 mini, Also its your own hand craft making it all fit together and the engine work is all custom.

Nice work and i cannot wait to see the finished product!

#11 R1mini

R1mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 07:35 PM

A V8 mini is much more individual than an R1 mini, Also its your own hand craft making it all fit together and the engine work is all custom.

Nice work and i cannot wait to see the finished product!

Unless you make everything for the R1 mini yourself that is

Cheers
R1mini

#12 Mini Mad Rich

Mini Mad Rich

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • Local Club: Leamington Spa Mini Massive

Posted 21 February 2006 - 07:59 PM

That V8 mini is brill, I hope to get mine done up later this year depending on fiancial status at the that point butI dont think I'l be doing what your doing lol.

Anyway keep ur the good work and I hope to see it at some point.

;D

MMR

#13 who_loves_the_mini?

who_loves_the_mini?

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 09:10 PM

Whats it drive like? is it stupidly quick?

#14 v8mini

v8mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 09:18 PM

Awsome car and I must admit I did not know where on earth the sound was coming from when I was outside at Bingley.

I wasnt in my V8 at Bingley, we was in a Bongo

#15 v8mini

v8mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 09:28 PM

Whats it drive like? is it stupidly quick?

as mentioned briefly in the first post has some serious handling issues when backing off from hard acceleration. hopfully the coilovers will help, softer spring rate up front, and harder at the rear.
Also i need to check the rear is toeing in enougth on the rear, i think thats whats needed, what do you bike boys use??

Apart from that it does seem to be quite rapid, clutch slips slightly in 3rd & 4th, but is worn and i have a new one to fit along with a set of 2.7:1 final drive gears that i had made up, that should help for MPH / RPM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)