Photo
- - - - -

Headlamp Problem And No, Its Not The Bulb!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bobbydazzler

bobbydazzler

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:12 PM

Drivers side headlamp has stopped working on our 2004 Mini Cooper, so purchased a new bulb. On changing it, the headlamp still didn't work. The passenger bulb was working, so I swapped it over. I put the driver's bulb into the passenger unit and vice versa. The drivers side still doesn't work and the passenger side does (with the original drivers side bulb in it)... if that makes sense! So i know its not the bulb.

The rear lights are working and the side lights are working. I haven't checked the fuses, as assumed that there wouldn't be a single fuse for a single headlamp. I'm not aware of anything else not working.

I've checked the wiring harness in the engine compartment and the bulb holder. All wires seem intact from what I can see.

Thought about using a multimeter to check whether power getting to the bulb but to be honest I'm not sure where to put the prongs to test it.

Has anyone any suggestions please about where to start a diagnosis???

Many thanks...

#2 Algordo1100

Algordo1100

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:16 PM

Try a BMW forum?
(not being deliberately rude. Thats what I would do ;) )

Al

Edited by Algordo1100, 28 February 2012 - 09:18 PM.

#3 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:17 PM

Algordo, next time you will get a warning.

Cars do usually have the headlamps fused individually if they are fused at all, imagine what happens if both fail at once because of a fuse. Check your fuses first, I have found that there are two 50A fuses for headlamp units in your car's engine compartment fuse box. Presumably one left and one right, check them.

#4 Algordo1100

Algordo1100

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:19 PM

Algordo, next time you will get a warning.

oops

Sorry

and sorry to poster bobbydazzler. That came out wrong. I hope you get your problem sorted.

Al

Edited by Algordo1100, 28 February 2012 - 09:32 PM.

#5 mini-luke

mini-luke

Postman Pat

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,362 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:27 PM

I'd be surprised if both headlamps had the same fuse, it'd be a serious safety problem if the fuse was to fail. My advice, go hunting for a blown fuse as that's most likely.

#6 scubalegg

scubalegg

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:31 PM

you say the side lights are working are they working on the driver side head light unit aswell, is it just dipped or high beam or both that are not working or are they different bulbs (sorry it might be an ob question but ive never looked at a new mini headlight before)

#7 bobbydazzler

bobbydazzler

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:10 PM

Thanks to all those that have taken the time to reply.

I have had the fuses out and with a bit of jiggery pokery and persistence, the headlamps come back on.

No doubt a loose connection somewhere. Lets see how long it lasts!

Thanks again...

#8 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:11 PM

Is this one of the female fuses? If so a new one would have a tighter grip on the terminals. If not, the terminals in the box could be crimped up a bit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users