10 replies to this topic

#1 Black.Ghost

Black.Ghost

Formerly known as TneMini.

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 10:43 PM

Last weekend I finally managed to pick up my new Austin Mini 1000 Automatic, in yellow with a black roof.

Based on the number plate, she is now named Emo. She needs a good clean and tidy up. She has no MOT or tax, which are the first targets. In order to get her through the MOT I am currently anticipating brakes and electrics. She is pretty solid so hopefully not too much welding.

Once she is MOTed and taxed and back on the road, there are a few things that will be done, including:
- auto engine replaced with a manual. Already have a deposit sorted on a 998, and will fit at least a stage 1 kit. I already have a pedal box and gear lever etc so not too much more to buy for the conversion.
- front drum brakes upgraded to disks, mostly likely Cooper S 7.5" if I can find some at a decent price.
- tidy up the interior. The seats will be replaced with something from the 70s, and the dash veneer will be removed and replaced. I am thinking maybe a black veneer in keeping with the yellow and black colour scheme.

Once that is done, I'll pretty much be keeping her like that. She is going to be a run around while my Cooper (Oliver) is rebuilt. I'll then decide what to do with her once Oliver is complete.

Pictures can be found here:
http://www.theminifo...w-mini-is-home/

I'll put a couple more soon, but this internet connection is a bit dodgy at the moment.

I can't do anything to her for periods of time due to being in Germany but I want her on the road ASAP, and I'll keep this updated as things get done.

#2 MaxAndPaddy

MaxAndPaddy

Spamela Anderson

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,700 posts
  • Name: Elvis
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 10 March 2012 - 10:45 PM

I'l be following Emo on this thread :proud:

#3 Bean

Bean

Queen of 'shoppin, Voted Miss TMF 2011

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,054 posts
  • Name: Jean

Posted 10 March 2012 - 10:46 PM

Me too! :proud:

#4 Black.Ghost

Black.Ghost

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:21 PM

Well I really wanted these seats:
http://www.ebay.co.u...49#ht_500wt_966

Originally he put them on here for £180 - just as I was about to reply and snap his hand off, he come up and said his dad has changed his mind and wants to put them on Ebay >_< Most unfortunate, especially as they have already reached his original asking price is less than one day. I am anticipating them going for a lot more than this though.

Based on the fact the seats I do want are going to cost me close to £400 (unless anyone has a set of the above for 50 quid?!), I am considering other options, just as a short term. I came across these.

http://www.theminifo...alfa-156-seats/

I know they are not retro, but they do look pretty smart in a Mini! I would prefer them not to have the Alfa logo (there are some more on here without the logo). The other key thing is that I do not want to be driving around in a Mini that has no head rests. One little prang and my neck will be like a Churchill dog on heat!

Also just a fraction too late getting the wheels I wanted as well - I think someone else is getting them. I need to be quicker.

But the good news is I should have Fri, Sat and Sun to get it sorted for an MOT. Ideally Id like to crack the basics on the Fri, take it in Sat morning and see what needs repairing after that. I can't wait to get started on this. I have found a guide to doing the engine swap as well - it looks fairly straight forward. Sister might not appreciate it on the drive though - so I'll just wait until she is away for two weeks in April. She will never know :lol:

#5 olds_kool_lews

olds_kool_lews

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 3,601 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:15 AM

I've just done auto to manual conversion, made my own spacer plates so the manual engine fits in the auto frame, 10mm alloy plate is what u need should you decide to make ur own instead of shop bought. Good luck with it! Looks a good project

#6 Black.Ghost

Black.Ghost

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:56 PM

I'll probably buy them to be honest.

Other than the inhibitor switch, were there any problems you encountered at all or anything I should look out for?

Thanks in advance. I'm off to see if you have a project thread.

#7 olds_kool_lews

olds_kool_lews

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 3,601 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:30 PM

when fitting the clutch pedal, its easier to do it with the pedal box removed from the car, but i couldnt remove mine due to a seized clevis pin in the brake master cylinder, so had to put the pedal in with the pedal box in in situ, other than that, everything is straight forward direct swap (as long as the engine is the same/similar year to the mini its going in) but if you do use an engine older/younger than the mini its going in, you might find that the started solenoid isnt compatible without modified wiring.

hope this helps

#8 Black.Ghost

Black.Ghost

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:29 PM

Thanks for the info, I'll bear all that in mind.

Well progress has been limited. I managed to get the bumpers off and clean off most of the crap. I've never seen so much hay in a non-farm vehicle.

This morning I spent about three hours cleaning up just the drivers rear brake. No wonder the handbrake didn't work - rather a lot of water in there. Fly back to Germany tonight so no more progress for another two weeks :(

I blame the girlfriend. She came to visit in tw end which took out the whole weekend. On the plus side, she does like Emo.

#9 Black.Ghost

Black.Ghost

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:51 AM

More good news today. I won the original seats I wanted on EBay, and at just a fiver more than he put them for on here! That was a bonus.

A bit of luck really as I checked EBay just as I got my flight. It was still at 180 with 2 hours left. Luckily I remembered to check again and still at 180, 5 minutes to go. Put in a cheeky bid for 190 thinking it will at least bump the price up. Couldn't believe it.

Now I just need to find a black rear vinyl seat to match.

#10 Black.Ghost

Black.Ghost

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:17 AM

Ok so I haven't really made too much progress. I have managed to get the new seats in, took the dash board out and peeled off all the top layer, and stained the wood black. IMO, it now looks much better and quite unique, but I still really like the look of just having the centre speedo and nothing else.

I started on the front brake and realised while I was messing around there I would sort out new wheel bearings. I couldn't get the damn hub off at the moment, and more importantly I need to either get it to Germany or find somewhere to store it as my sister wants it off her drive now.

I'll upload some pics in a minute when they are done uploading to photo bucket. Not much progress as I have spent more time on Oliver instead.

I think I will change the seats again - they really suit the car (ignoring the rears!) but I can't really fit my fat arse in them comfortably. I can just about squeeze in, but they are a bit awkward to try and get out of as well - a real shame but now I am on the lookout for some more period seats.

The rust treatment stuff has arrived at my mums so I will soon get the wire wool attachment on the drill and sort out the several areas of rust.

This car was only designed to be a run around until such time as Oliver is back on the road but I think a respray is in order as well. I'll do that in small stages though, and probably with rattle cans. It can't really look any worse than the current paint job to be fair.

#11 Black.Ghost

Black.Ghost

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:23 AM

Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Black.Ghost, 09 May 2012 - 09:25 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users