Photo
- - - - -

Help On Planning A Kseries Conersion (Please)

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 AThompson

AThompson

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:14 PM

Hello
Im planning on getting a mini and converting it to a 1.8 turbo (rover 75) K Series and could do with some help clearing some things up.
(sorry im new,just joined)

I will be getting a donor car from the scrap yard so will be getting the engine,gearbox and wiring loom.
If i was to take the ECU out aswell would the scrap yard give me the key/fob with the car?
If not on ebay i can get,

1.8 TURBO ECU KIT TO INCLUDE

1 X ECU

1 X IMMOBILISER

1 X KEY FOB

1 X DRIVERS DOOR HANDLE

Wich is okay but how would i go about starting the car without a ignition barrel and no key?

sorry if i am being stuppidly silly :shy: but this is my first project,the electrics will hold me bk if i dnt get all advise now so trying to think ahead.
the mechanicall side shouldnt be a problem as my dad will be helping me but isnt great with the electrics,so going to try and get hold of a rave cd for when we get to the ecu wiring loom stage.

Thanks in advance.

#2 Mini-Mad-Craig

Mini-Mad-Craig

Crazy About Metro's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,298 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:26 PM

You'll need everything from the donor car and use your standard Mini key and ignition barrel. The ECU will be MEMS 3, you'll need get one WITH 5as, fobs and the ecu all from the same car to save yourself a fortune on reprogramming

Is there any reason you're using the Turbo K-series? it's a solid cam non vvc engine and puts out 150bhp at best, VVC's come as 160 or 143bhp standard and will fit under even a standard roundnose a lot easier than a turbo

Inbox me your email address, I'll send you a copy of RAVE

#3 giner88

giner88

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:28 PM

i dont want to put a downer on your plans but if your asking questions like this, which dont seem all that complicated to me, how on earth do you expect to do and engine transplant which is no easy task by a long shot

Edited by giner88, 15 March 2012 - 10:29 PM.

#4 AThompson

AThompson

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:43 PM

my email is [email protected]
thanks craig.

I was just liking the thought of a turbo mini, especially with the sound coming from a 1.8 then with the turbo from such a little car.
but with the advantage of a vvc engine being more powerfull and easier to fit i think i will go for the vvc option.

Edited by AThompson, 15 March 2012 - 10:44 PM.

#5 Mini-Mad-Craig

Mini-Mad-Craig

Crazy About Metro's

• Members
  • 9,298 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:48 PM

All I can say is have a serious think about it. To me, the price and work involved in fitting a turbo 1.8 has no pro's on running a vvc160 other than having a turbo. n/a is so much easier, and you'll be quicker on the drag strip

you could run a zr/25 engine loom for the vvc. Maybe you should start out with MEMS 1.9 Rover 214 1400 twin cam if it's your first engine conversion... if you're not experienced with engines then I think fitting a 1.8 turbo into a mini is slightly mad, and the 1.4 is a nice tunable engine that can give plenty of power for a ZR... let alone in a mini

also do some homework on Rover ECU's and wiring looms before going ahead and buying anything because you'll be wasting your money if you dont know what you're buying

#6 AThompson

AThompson

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:48 PM

hi Giner
im sure fitting the engine and subframe shouldnt be a problem (not saying be easy) its just the electrics wich is a concern, and if we was to get stuck or need some advice fitting the engine im sure we could ask for advice or help from my dads mate who builds dragsters for a living and races his at longmarston .

#7 AThompson

AThompson

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:11 PM

i have been researching alot about the k series engine on the forums, and felt the k series was the best and possible option to go as quite a few bits are interchangable across the k series enginges and there is only 2 possible gear boxes.
and with using the metro subframe you can use the metro engine mounts, driveshafts, hubs, wishbones,steering rack etc as a complete unit.
I think i would go for the vvc engine as i have seen a few build threads on them and watching few vids on youtube. I will deffiantly research the ecu side of things tho as there never much said about them in the projects i bin reading about. they just mention the rave cd so i thought that would be a great help so i can figure what wires 2 what and so on and get a understanding of how it all goes.

#8 Mini-Mad-Craig

Mini-Mad-Craig

Crazy About Metro's

• Members
  • 9,298 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:17 PM

Don't forget K-Series Metro's are 95.25 PCD so you'll be very limited for wheels.. not to mention hydragas suspension and that they don't use mini tower bolt location either

there is plenty of custom subbies out there that will be a lot easier

Not trying to sh*t on your build here either, it's your car and do what you like.. just trying to make sure you've throught everything through before you start buying bits

#9 Alex_B

Alex_B

Doesn't put foot in mouth enough!

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:17 PM

From everything i have heard about k-series it looks like a good conversion, what can be expected roughly money wise to do a basic VVC k-series conversion. (i'm not looking into it seriously just curious) and i would imagine lots of engine bay mods are required?

#10 Mini-Mad-Craig

Mini-Mad-Craig

Crazy About Metro's

• Members
  • 9,298 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:22 PM

From everything i have heard about k-series it looks like a good conversion, what can be expected roughly money wise to do a basic VVC k-series conversion. (i'm not looking into it seriously just curious) and i would imagine lots of engine bay mods are required?

depends how clever you are about it, If i had a solid Mini shell to start with I could do a k-series conversion for pretty much free if I had 600 quid for a doner car to start with and the tools for the job

they inlet clears the baulkhead just about, you can fit a 1.8 under a standard length roundnose if you think about your rad choice but it's a lot easier under a clubby front

#11 Alex_B

Alex_B

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:25 PM

Sounds like a fun project, one of my mates is doing a few engine swaps in his cars (rover 25 and a Fiesta with a puma engine) would be nice in a couple of years to own him in his 25 with the same engine in a mini. :P

May have to start planning the next mini!, my one right now is a bit too nice to cut up and put a clubby front on (also dont have any money with insurance, tax and mot coming up). and to the OP Good luck i will be watching yours and anyone elses k-series conversion threads with interest!

#12 Mini-Mad-Craig

Mini-Mad-Craig

Crazy About Metro's

• Members
  • 9,298 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:27 PM

Just buy the best doner car you can for your money, MGF panels and bits are always wanted so you can easily get your money back and scrap the shell and make most of the money back

#13 Alex_B

Alex_B

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:33 PM

Sounds like a good plan, rover 214s are dead cheap on eBay from what i can see. mmm got me thinking now!

#14 Mini-Mad-Craig

Mini-Mad-Craig

Crazy About Metro's

• Members
  • 9,298 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:34 PM

most are 8v though

#15 Alex_B

Alex_B

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:36 PM

Ahh that may explain it, the old unloved 8v, and i recon i know what the answer will be but what is the better engine conversion, Vtec, Redtop, C20let or K-series?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users