#1 redhot-mini

redhot-mini

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Local Club: North Devon Mini Register

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:46 PM

as title says i have a rev counter in my mini and im wanting to wire it up but how do i do it where do the wires com from and go ? :) its a smith rev counter

#2 Ocado Man

Ocado Man

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:28 PM

There are two wires already there in the loom ready to connect. One is a bullet & one a spade I believe. Once you have located them at the rear of the dash its fairly clear where they attach to at the rear of the rev counter.
There are threads already on here, maybe a search may be in order.

#3 redhot-mini

redhot-mini

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 04:00 PM

i have tried searching for them cant find it :/ and the wires there allready connected and they don't work it moves it a tiny tiny bit i know the white n black 1 is from the coil but the other wire is that ment to be a constant live or switch live ? and dose it need an earth ?

#4 AVV IT

AVV IT

I am a shed dragger.

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,122 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Nobody will have me!!

Posted 30 March 2012 - 04:11 PM

There are two wires already there in the loom ready to connect. One is a bullet & one a spade I believe.

There are on later models, but they weren't standard on earlier models, it depends on the age of the car. If you don't have the wiring in your existing loom, then this link may be of some help. :thumbsup: http://www.speedycab...page34aaaa.html

Edited by AVV IT, 30 March 2012 - 04:18 PM.

#5 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 30 March 2012 - 06:36 PM

Hold off on that link. That link is for the very old RVI tachometers used up until the mid-1970s. They are unhappy with electronic ignitions and they wire quite differently from modern tachs and later Smiths RVC tachs. Start by looking at the gauge face of the tach you have and post back with whether it says RVI or RVC (small print somewhere on the face). If you cannot find that text, please post a picture of the front and back of the tach so we can help you identify it.

Succinctly though, Smiths tachs with a metal housing typically receive their earth connection through the housing. They either have a spade lug on the case or you use a ring terminal on a wire under one of the gauge mounting nuts. Somewhere on the back will be an insulating plate with a spade lug on it. That spade lug is for a switched 12V connection (power in). Lastly, the RVC tachs will have a male bullet connector and that will be connected to coil (-) (the side of the coil with the wire going to the distributor). Apart from a lamp connection that is all that is involved for voltage sensing (modern and Smiths RVC type) tachs.

#6 redhot-mini

redhot-mini

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:08 PM

ok cheers for that dklawson il look in the morning for the small print

#7 redhot-mini

redhot-mini

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 03:42 PM

iv had a look and its RVI but under neath that it says 6 cylinder so im guessing it wont work on my mini :(

#8 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:42 PM

Two not good signs. The RVI tachs don't like electronic ignitions and at some point you may want to change from points if you haven't already. The 6-cylinder issue is the real deal killer. However, you can always sell the RVI tach and use the proceeds to buy a later Smiths RVC type or a modern aftermarket tach.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users