21 replies to this topic

#16 baakafish

baakafish

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 12:46 PM

Lovely car. reminds me why I bought mine in BRG too.

I am looking at buying one at the moment, again a Jap import. Im trying to find out how many genuine Monte Carlos were exported but I think it will prove to be a tricky research project. I don't know if a certain number from the initial 200 were taken over, or whether there were more produced or what.

Hey Black Ghost did you get any answers to your research?? I had a look in a book which states that a thousand were made for the japanese market, but sadly doesn't break-down how many for each of the three colours (red/brg/black). Hope this helps!

#17 Black.Ghost

Black.Ghost

Formerly known as TneMini.

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 11:35 AM

Thread revival! But no I didn't - I switched fire and got a Grand Prix instead!

#18 mrsimon

mrsimon

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 08:46 PM

Good timing!!

I've researched a few at thecarwarehouse in Middlesbrough . There's a good selection. For me, it's aircon or no Mini. In and around Barcelona for at least 6 months of the year, and in a small space, aircon is desirable. I'm only looking at the Mark 7 post 96 models as I like the upgrades.

But now you've started putting me off with the "engine is a mongrel" with mixed parts from different configurations!!!

I understand that the radiator had to be side mounted again to fit the aircon. Would any upgrades help the engine maintenance?

I have to look at the red tape importing into Spain. I brought in a 96 Triumph Speed 3 bike a few years back and did everything myself. I could write a book on Spanish civil servants and red tape...    

I've seen a 2001 registered Mayfair versión Mini. Am 1998  it's posible to get a Certificate of  Conformity (COC) and that would really make life easier.

Cars made for the Japanese market didn't need these, but if they were made to UK spec then maybe they can get the COC?

A website says that I won't get one as they were made for non-EU, and doesn't seem to matter that they were made IN the EU.  

Is a COC available for my vehicle?

Certificates of Conformity are only available for vehicles that were originally manufactured for countries within the EU.

COCs became compulsory documentation in 1998 (cars), and 2003 (motorcycles). If your vehicle was manufactured before these dates, it may still be possible to obtain a Certificate of Conformity.

Vehicles originally produced for the Japanese, American and Canadian market will not have a COC. For these vehicles, we recommend that you contact the Governing Body in the country of import to find out to register your vehicle.

Thanks for any pointers or experience.

Edited by mrsimon, 20 September 2015 - 09:07 PM.

#19 inim_repooc

inim_repooc

Speeding Along Now

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Local Club: not part of one

Posted 23 September 2015 - 11:58 PM

Good timing!!
I've researched a few at thecarwarehouse in Middlesbrough . There's a good selection. For me, it's aircon or no Mini. In and around Barcelona for at least 6 months of the year, and in a small space, aircon is desirable. I'm only looking at the Mark 7 post 96 models as I like the upgrades.

But now you've started putting me off with the "engine is a mongrel" with mixed parts from different configurations!!!
I understand that the radiator had to be side mounted again to fit the aircon. Would any upgrades help the engine maintenance?

I have to look at the red tape importing into Spain. I brought in a 96 Triumph Speed 3 bike a few years back and did everything myself. I could write a book on Spanish civil servants and red tape...    
I've seen a 2001 registered Mayfair versión Mini. Am 1998  it's posible to get a Certificate of  Conformity (COC) and that would really make life easier.
Cars made for the Japanese market didn't need these, but if they were made to UK spec then maybe they can get the COC?
A website says that I won't get one as they were made for non-EU, and doesn't seem to matter that they were made IN the EU.  
Is a COC available for my vehicle?
Certificates of Conformity are only available for vehicles that were originally manufactured for countries within the EU.
COCs became compulsory documentation in 1998 (cars), and 2003 (motorcycles). If your vehicle was manufactured before these dates, it may still be possible to obtain a Certificate of Conformity.
Vehicles originally produced for the Japanese, American and Canadian market will not have a COC. For these vehicles, we recommend that you contact the Governing Body in the country of import to find out to register your vehicle.

Thanks for any pointers or experience.

I own a 1998 Japanese Cooper. I know how you feel especially when people start going on about the weird setup etc...

The car I got had been in the UK again for 5 years when I brought it and I think any rust on there was from then! It is now practically rust free and better than many newer cars after a few years underneath. The interior is of a very high speck, something to keep in mind is the walnut dashboards diddnt fair to well in the heat on some parts of Japan and need re doing or replacing. The later ones from 96 use the late mpi block and all its sensors etc with the (far more reliable) coil pack which has better protection from weather etc... The ecu is an odd one, being unique to the late Japanese export minis, but as far as normal use goes they run the engine very well and go a great job at adjusting it's tune when it needs to etc... And minispares now sell refurbished jap ecus for the same price as the UK ones so no need to worry, you can always go down the custom map able ecus in thee future to unlock more potential as you would with UK cars. As for parts, as far as anything else goes, treat it as a UK mpi for the injection year specific parts and you are set apart from the ecu and the injection unit, which is pretty simple and in my opinion better to have as the mpi setup is more complex and is pretty much designed with emissions in mind, performance is pretty much identical. Also the AX in mine at least is better than a blast freezer! It runs on a thermostat that has 4 settings, off, on for brief periods bit still freezers you to death, on slfir longer periods and slightly more freezing and it goes on like that! Pretty much leave it on the first notch on the temp wheel and it is efficient and better than a in modern cars!

I honestly would not hesitate to buy a jap import, and as others have said they will probably become more and more sourt after, particularly in hot country's!

#20 grayclassic

grayclassic

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 08:45 AM

This is almost related to this topic, I've just about bought a Japanese Cooper with aircon, I want to go back to the centre Binnical gauges, can I convert the iN Dash aircon to under dash aircon?

I like the look of the pic attached.

Attached Files

#21 Horstprott

Horstprott

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 06:54 PM

On the statement of no mpi minis in jap spec, mines a 98jap spec full mpi. So they obviously did some mpi minis for Japan.

#22 WMU 211G

WMU 211G

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 03:06 PM

My '93 1275 Auto was re-imported to the UK in January 2016, thinking of selling it if anyone's interested - currently SORNed, MOT expired in February this year, racing green with white roof, working air-con, the autobox is playing up as it won't engage reverse, (engine is fine though) driver's window has dropped due to broken winding mechanism. Very solid shell with no rot, typical of Jap Minis, has Rokee style dash in black vinyl with retro fitted centre binnacle, the car was converted to 10'' wheel spec when it was in Japan along with Mk2 / Mk3 rear lights and a Japanese aftermarket vinly dashtop cover. I've fitted a new interior in black vinyl, a wood rim steering wheel plus a new set of 6''x10'' Mk2 Cosmics with Yoko A008 tyres. PM if interested, space needed.

;D

Edited by WMU 211G, 18 June 2018 - 03:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users