#1 chrscmbs

chrscmbs

Mini Mad

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:37 PM

Hello,

I was thinking about adding a read/back wiper to my mini (dont shout at me, i just fancy one on mine) but apart from getting an old kit, I wanted to ask if it can be done by basically paying my local scrap yard a visit and grabbing a rear wiper from another car but what car would be best?
Chris.
chrscmbs

#2 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,885 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:01 PM

I have got one fitted to my Clubman although it was there when i bought it. As to where it originated i'm not sure. Maybe something off a Metro or any small hatchback.

#3 chrscmbs

chrscmbs

Mini Mad

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:06 PM

I have got one fitted to my Clubman although it was there when i bought it. As to where it originated i'm not sure. Maybe something off a Metro or any small hatchback.

Hello,

Would you post a picture of the rear of your clubman for me please showing the wiper etc. as I have genuinly not seen a rear wiper fitted on any photos of classi minis as yet despite trawling google for an image of one over and over, I would be really greatful.

Chris.
chrscmb

#4 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,885 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:18 PM

I'm afraid this is the best i can do as the car is in storage at my mates lockup at the moment.
Posted Image

#5 miniman retford

miniman retford

Most Definitely Not Beer Powered....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,553 posts
  • Local Club: Lincs ford group

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:29 PM

Years ago i fitted one to my mini. Think the motor was from an old landrover where the wiper arm fits straight onto the motor instead of having any linkage.

#6 chrscmbs

chrscmbs

Mini Mad

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:30 PM

Thats' fantastic Sonikk4... thank you. I was beginning to think that classic mini rear wipers were just a myth, lol

Thank you so much for this, and what a really nice clubman it is too, I wonder if it would be possible to rig up a water nozzle to spray the rear screen too, or to use the type of wiper blades that have tubes attached that release the water? Here's mine as she looks now, I will be changing the colour from brown to damask red (as I dont like the clove brown) sorry...

Posted Image

regards

Chris.
chrscmbs

Edited by chrscmbs, 10 April 2012 - 03:32 PM.

#7 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,885 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:49 PM

You could put a small water container and electric pump along with either a nozzle or attach the water hose to the wiper blade. Block the end and drill some holes along the length of the blade.

Either use a small switch or button to operate the washer. I have not got one fitted on Paddy.

#8 evansisgreat

evansisgreat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts
  • Local Club: Not yet

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:56 PM

There's a kit you can buy that puts a water nozzle onto a wiper arm, although it gets connected straight to some washer pipe so you'd need to drill another hole. My old honda has a little nozzle that mounts above the rear screen. A quick search on ebay wold turn up a bunch of options like that.

#9 jimnali

jimnali

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:26 PM

I did this many years ago using a mini type wiper motor and rack from the scrappy.

Discard one of the drive spindles and associated tube. Cut the drive cable to length. Mount the spindle below the rear screen and the motor under the parcel shelf.

Bob's your uncle!

#10 Alex_B

Alex_B

Doesn't put foot in mouth enough!

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:46 PM

Look at ERA turbo mini's they were the only mini with a factory fitted rear wiper, can give you an idea of what a OE wiper would look like :)

#11 its a bit ripe

its a bit ripe

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:48 PM

metro (rover 100) rear wipers are supposed to be pretty easy to fit on to a mini although iv not done one carnt see it being to hard

#12 chrscmbs

chrscmbs

Mini Mad

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:12 PM

I did this many years ago using a mini type wiper motor and rack from the scrappy.

Discard one of the drive spindles and associated tube. Cut the drive cable to length. Mount the spindle below the rear screen and the motor under the parcel shelf.

Bob's your uncle!

Thanks for this, so basically i need a motor, a wiper wheel box and a wiper blade, am I right so far?

Still learning here lol What else will I need?

Chris.
chrscmbs

#13 chrscmbs

chrscmbs

Mini Mad

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:32 PM

Thanks for the ERA pointer...

I found a couple of nice images of a rear wiper and it's water jet too as fitted to these versions...

Posted Image Posted Image

Chris.
chrscmbs

#14 jimnali

jimnali

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:37 PM

That's about it. Take time to plan it all out before you start drilling holes.

The wiring might be a challenge depending upon your elctrical knowledge. Most wiper motors now offer two speeds and auto park. You have the option of wiring these up (needs three wires and an earth) or keep it to a single speed (nice and simple).

Good luck

#15 chrscmbs

chrscmbs

Mini Mad

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:01 PM

Thanks for that, I dont know which one to go for now, a mini motor or a rover 100 unit?

I love choices, lol

Chris.
chrscmbs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users