Photo

what spec compressor do i need to spray paint?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 jonny blaze

jonny blaze

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 10:42 PM

i was thinking of getting a compressor its 2hp and displaces 210 litres/minute. its max pressure is 120psi or 8 bar, would this be suitable for spray painting a car?

#2 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 02 March 2006 - 08:10 AM

What size is the receiver ?

#3 Garagiste

Garagiste

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 12:36 PM

Sorry to hijack but I'm interested too!
Would a 6l job be adequate? (panel at a time, in no hurry).
Or is 25l a more realistic minimum?
TIA. :D

#4 jonny blaze

jonny blaze

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 07:49 PM

what is the reciever?is it where the spray gun connects onto because it comes with a gravity feed spray gun and an air gun?

also roughly how much paint would be needed to paint a mini?

#5 Garagiste

Garagiste

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 10:01 PM

I think he means the tank, and I did a better search and found the answer to my question here:
http://www.theminifo...showtopic=12732
Sorry to repeat the question then!
Surprised that you're only looking at 1/2 roof with a 50l tank though - what the hey use is 6l one? :D

#6 Paintman

Paintman

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 10:12 PM

You’ll need somewhere around a 50ltr receiver with a 7cfm displacement.
Anything less than that and your going to run out of air half way round, then spend 10 minuets waiting for the compressor to build air back up again.

If your spraying the car the same colour then you’ll need no more than a 1Ltr if it’s a metallic, and 1 ½ ltrs if it’s a solid colour.

#7 Garagiste

Garagiste

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 09:33 AM

Thanks paintmain, obvious that you know your stuff from reading earlier posts.
If you can bear the ignorance of a total novice a little further though... :D
Would a 10 min wait cause serious matching problems? Obviously you wouldn't want it running out 1/4 way through a panel, but if you knew roughly when to stop for a cup of tea...
I'm not looking at doing a whole lot of work, just taking my time over a toy as a hobby, and although my garage is pretty roomy, I don't want to be tripping over a monster great tank whilst I'm not using it.

Basically I've got my eye on a 24l 1.5hp one displacing 6.3cfm - near me and Cheeep!
OK for a total beginner on first project with HVLP gun, or really just a total waste of time?

#8 Paintman

Paintman

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 01:20 PM

Thanks paintmain, obvious that you know your stuff from reading earlier posts.
If you can bear the ignorance of a total novice a little further though... :D
Would a 10 min wait cause serious matching problems? Obviously you wouldn't want it running out 1/4 way through a panel, but if you knew roughly when to stop for a cup of tea...
I'm not looking at doing a whole lot of work, just taking my time over a toy as a hobby, and although my garage is pretty roomy, I don't want to be tripping over a monster great tank whilst I'm not using it.

Basically I've got my eye on a 24l 1.5hp one displacing 6.3cfm - near me and Cheeep!
OK for a total beginner on first project with HVLP gun, or really just a total waste of time?

A ten minute wait will not cause colour match problems.
If I was you I’d pay a little more for the compressor spec as stated above, you can pick one up for around £150 - £170 new and boxed.

Once you’ve got a half descent compressor you’ll find you’ll use it more and more.

#9 Garagiste

Garagiste

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 03:10 PM

Oooh hello - a bit of a bargain with free delivery then?

Think I finally sussed how to do this clicky thing

#10 Paintman

Paintman

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 06:17 PM

That will do the job.

#11 Mandgands

Mandgands

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 12:08 PM

So, would a 50ltr compressor, pushing out 7.6cfm have enough air to just "keep going"? As in, use it till the paint in the gun runs out without stopping to let the compressor build up pressure again?

#12 Paintman

Paintman

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 08:08 PM

So, would a 50ltr compressor, pushing out 7.6cfm have enough air to just "keep going"? As in, use it till the paint in the gun runs out without stopping to let the compressor build up pressure again?

If you using a gravity feed gun than I would say it could do, but don’t quote me on it.
Bear in mind a compressor of that size will not run an air feed mask and a spray gun at the same time.

Your looking at well over £700 for a compressor that will run both an air feed and a gun at the same time.

#13 Stoo

Stoo

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 07:44 AM

OK Mr Paintman - a related question.

I've seen paint jobs done with those cheap apollo HVLP spray kits and to be honest they weren't bad (better than a lot of spray jobs novices do with good kit). How easy is it to get a reasonable finish. I'm wanting to lay green metallic. I've got to weld in a new scuttle soon (I can weld) and it obviously needs some paint on afterwards

Stoo

Forgot to say - I'll be using celly (If I can get it in the right colour)...

If not then off to the paint shop for me.

Another question then - where can you still get celly?

#14 Paintman

Paintman

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 08:56 PM

OK Mr Paintman - a related question.

I've seen paint jobs done with those cheap apollo HVLP spray kits and to be honest they weren't bad (better than a lot of spray jobs novices do with good kit). How easy is it to get a reasonable finish. I'm wanting to lay green metallic. I've got to weld in a new scuttle soon (I can weld) and it obviously needs some paint on afterwards

Stoo

Forgot to say - I'll be using celly (If I can get it in the right colour)...

If not then off to the paint shop for me.

Another question then - where can you still get celly?

To do honest with you Stoo i can’t make any comments regarding Apollo spray kits, I’ve never used one.

Basically at the end of the day it’s the person on the other end of the spray gun that makes it either a good or bad job, not everyone can paint. Of course it’s easy to get a good finish but I’m going to say that because I’m a painter.

I have no idea where you can get celly from, I’ve not used it for about 15 years. Try your local paint supplier.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users