#1 Miniryan09

Miniryan09

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:49 PM

Hello!

Just a quick question, I got some wipac spotlights for me mini but first off I dunno if I want to keep them or not, haven't put them on yet but I kinda like my grille as it is? What do people think of spotlights?

Secondly I'm unsure how I would fit the spotlights? I've seen brackets on eBay etc but there stupid money for what effectively is a bent peice of metal with 2 holes in! So how do I go about mounting them? And if I need brackets, does anyone have any lieing about in a shed/box?

Cheers!

#2 megamini_jb

megamini_jb

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,491 posts
  • Name: Jamie

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:57 PM

Hi, I've got two brackets that I kept when I sold the spots on my mini. I can't remember what they are like, but I'll dig them out the garage and get a pic and if you want them you can have them if you cover postage

#3 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:01 PM

Spotlights are good for improving the range of the basic headlights. However, the Wipac ones ae not very good and it's unlikely they have even the same range as the heads, especially if you have a halogen conversion.
If you want better lights and already have halogen heads, try the Hella or Cibie spotlights for a real improvement.

#4 markg54

markg54

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:02 PM

this is my mini with spotlights mounted on home made brackets from metal ans pipe, mounted through the grill, so didn't need to cut it up, or splash out on brackets

Attached File  IMG_0618.JPG   54.19K   141 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0620.JPG   43.49K   65 downloads

#5 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,039 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:08 PM

I like to be able to remove the grille easily. Here is a shot of my lamp bracket design which I make myself using 2" x 1/4" aluminium strip and some 16 swg (1.5 mm thick) steel sheet. I use this design on most of my Minis.
Posted Image

#6 invisible_kid

invisible_kid

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:18 PM

Do u hav the cable conning off the spots and through the car instead of the grill. Is this so u can take off grill quickly

#7 yeti21586

yeti21586

He's A Lumberjack And He's OK

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,714 posts
  • Name: Chris
  • Local Club: None

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:25 PM

my mock up of my spots and DRL and fogs

Posted Image

#8 valve bounce

valve bounce

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:36 PM

my diy brackets with cibie's with 100watt bulbs in they really do make a huge difference but cibie are renound for being the best classic lamps
also dont make the brackets out of thin wobbly metal there is nothing worse that spotlights bouncing around. mine are made form 50x5mm mild steel bar, no wobble at all
Posted Image

#9 iDemonix

iDemonix

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:42 PM

Posted Image

What's the best way for a standard 4 light mounting like this?

#10 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,039 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:50 PM

Do u hav the cable conning off the spots and through the car instead of the grill. Is this so u can take off grill quickly

Yes, that's a 6-way aircraft connector through which I run cables for 4 additional lights, but I normally only run 2. I can take the lamp bar and lights off in about 4 minutes, then just unscrew the grille for quick access. On top of the lamps I have some steadies/adjusters.

#11 mike.

mike.

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:01 PM

These are the brackets I bought. The latest type ones fitted to the MPi minis. They're the best standard ones as they have the mounting point out on the end of them to stop them shaking/vibrating.

http://www.minispare...id=33746&title=

I mounted a set of 7" ring rally giant lamps on these and they work great. Then as my grill is mounted on grill buttons, I just enlarged the holes in the grill and then I just need to tilt the lamps forward to remove the grill off the studs.

Edited by mike., 01 May 2012 - 10:09 PM.

#12 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,804 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:08 PM

Original spotlight bracket fitted to injection cars which mounted on the front panel valance and grille support panel giving it perfect rigidity so that the power of the lamp was not impaired. Many cheap aftermarket products do not fit as securely as this and are not recommended as the power is diminished by vibration.
http://www.minispare...id=33947&title=

Stainless steel:
http://www.minispare...id=37607&title=

Wipac bracket:
http://www.minispare...id=38176&title=

Genuine Rover - Somerfords:
http://www.somerfordmini.co.uk/eshop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=196&products_id=5495

Edited by mab01uk, 01 May 2012 - 10:11 PM.

#13 Miniryan09

Miniryan09

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:59 PM

Thanks for your help everyone! makes sense now i think :)

megamini_jb drop me a text 07871044855, the pm system still isnt working :/

cheers!

#14 invisible_kid

invisible_kid

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 05:13 PM

Yes, that's a 6-way aircraft connector through which I run cables for 4 additional lights, but I normally only run 2. I can take the lamp bar and lights off in about 4 minutes, then just unscrew the grille for quick access. On top of the lamps I have some steadies/adjusters.

thats really cool. think for my every day road car thats a bit overkill. i quite like the look of the hellas though. i just wanted to do it with a italian job spot light bar but i'm not sure if the spots will be to heavy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users