#1 ludiluka

ludiluka

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 01:59 PM

Hi there

I am owner of mk1 mini (998ccm) that need to be restored. I want to instal preformance parts to my engine so that i get as much HP as possible. I was thinking to instal 1275 ccm pistons but i dont know if it is possible to bore 998 cilinders to 1275, than i want do instal preformance chamshaft,... But there is a lot of parts on the internet and i dont know what will work good together. I was looking on those two pages
http://www.minispeed.co.uk/
http://www.minisport...ni_Pistons.html

Has somebody done this ? And if can you please tell me what parts did you use.

Almost forgot i dont want to instal superchargers,... because i want that my engine looks like stock from outside.

Regards Luka

#2 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 20 May 2012 - 03:07 PM

Do not plan on boring a 998 to turn it into a 1275.

Further... your Inno will be worth a LOT more if you leave it unaltered with the original engine. If your heart is set on building a fire breathing sleeper with superchargers, sell the Inno and use the proceeds to buy a more common Mini as a starting point.

Of course this is your car and your choice what to do with it. However, your Inno is a less common car to start with and is often sought after for its unique features.

#3 ludiluka

ludiluka

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 04:20 PM

Hi there

this is my biggest problem every time. I want stock car but i want more HP. I agree with you. It will stay 998ccm but still i want more power. What can i do ?? new camshaft,..?

Can somebody tell me what what are diferences betwene those camshafts http://www.minispeed...haft-and-drives probably the diference is time that the valve is open and how much is open but i dont know wich camshaft to buy need help :)

#4 ludiluka

ludiluka

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 05:50 PM

Another question :) Is there possibility to instal roll cage in mini and keep rear seats. And i want to instal 4-point harness ?

#5 bmcecosse

bmcecosse

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,699 posts
  • Local Club: http://www.srps.org.uk/

Posted 20 May 2012 - 06:46 PM

An MG metro cam (or the similar 266) will be a good upgrade for you - but you will need to change the oil pump at the same time. Yes you can fit cage and harness.

#6 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,036 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 20 May 2012 - 07:52 PM

Original Innocentis are going up in value and if you modify it with, say, a roll cage it will lose a lot of value unless you don't care and intend using the car for competition. Competition use is really the only sensible reason for fitting a roll cage. You would lose the use of the rear seats with a roll cage.
The best engine improvements, which will not devalue it would be original Cooper998 engine parts. These would be a 12G295 cylinder head, twin 1.25" HS2 vcarbs on an original inlet manifold, a 3-into-1 exhaust manifold, a better cam - an MG Metro one would be fine). You would need to machine the head to obtain the correct compression ratio. All that would give around 55 bhp up from around 38 bhp, so a real improvement.
I would certainly not modify my 1973 Innocenti Cooper 1300 as Innocentis are becoming very rare.

#7 ludiluka

ludiluka

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 08:08 PM

Hi There

First thanks for you answer. I will mount bolt-on roll cage an 4-point harness just for my safety. So it if i want i will be able to take roll cage out same thing for engine upgrades.

So my filosofy is that i will be able to put car in original condition at any time i will want.

Regards Luka

#8 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,923 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 02:41 AM

Some additional comments should be made concerning the roll cage. Pay close attention to what you choose, where it is positioned in the car, and be sure to pad it.

If you still plan on using the car on the street, the roll cage can be a liability unless you plan on driving wearing a helmet. Consider what might happen if you are in a routine driving accident and hit your head on the roll cage. I'm not saying don't do it, I am only suggesting doing it wisely if at all.

#9 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,036 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 12:11 PM

IMHO if you need a roll cage to drive on the public roads then maybe it's your driving style you should modify. The basic Mini shell is very strong, so long as it's not full of rust, and a roll gage is really for competition where you know that eventually you will probably have an accident.
As Doug so rightly says a roll cage on the road can be a liability if you are not wearing a helmet yet driving very quickly near the limit.
I always fit a roll cage in my rally cars because I have to, but never in my road Minis.

#10 jaydee

jaydee

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,565 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 05:37 PM

The purists will kill you for an engine swap on a MK1 inno cooper...

#11 86mayfair

86mayfair

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:25 PM

Just a thought on roll cages - I've always wondered if it is that much worse to hit your head on. Being 6'4" I sit a long way back with my head in line with the B pillar, right next to the seat belt mounting. Hitting my head on that will surely be just as bad and just as likely? I'm not saying I want to put a cage in but just a thought.

Back on topic: Don't touch your Inno! :lol:

Edited by 86mayfair, 21 May 2012 - 08:25 PM.

#12 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,923 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 02:01 AM

Being rather short, the B pillar is still a good distance from my head. In your case, the B pillar sounds like it could be a problem in the event of a side collision.

#13 ludiluka

ludiluka

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:21 AM

Does someboy know how stiff is the roof in case of roll over ?? And is there cahance to mount 4 point harness without roll cage ? because seat belt must be in my car

regards Luka

#14 jaydee

jaydee

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,565 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:23 AM

When rolling with no roll cage its the pillars that take the load..you need a safety devices 6 point roll cage if looking for extra strenght..
Any 4 point harness can be fitted with no roll cage, and the rear seat can be retained when using harness/roll cage but you cant carry passengers on them.

#15 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,036 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:01 PM

Luka, why do you think you'll be likely to roll your car? I've rolled in several Minis on major rallies over the last 50 years, but have never rolled a Mini when driving or whilst a passenger on normal road driving.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users