22 replies to this topic

#1 Paintman

Paintman

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 11:15 PM

I think that it’s about time that we had a step by step guide to repairs and paint work on the forum for you guys. Over the next 2 weeks I’ll be putting together an easy to follow guide with photos which will show you the best ways to repair and paint your cars.

The guide will show you how to remove rust, repair minor and major dents and scratches the professional way. It will also show you the correct way to paint and how to avoid any paint problems before they happen.

At the moment I have a union jack mini in the workshop which needs a complete new front end, due to someone running it up the arse end of another car on a mini run not so long ago. On this car I’ll show you how to panel up and how to fine line mask for three different colours to be painted.

#2 Turbo Nick

Turbo Nick

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,913 posts
  • Local Club: Turbominis.co.uk

Posted 07 March 2006 - 01:59 AM

cant wait to see it dude, sounds like it'll be extremely helpful for me!

#3 THedooBZ

THedooBZ

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 08:02 AM

wow what a great idea paintman, top geezer!!!! :D

#4 Steamo

Steamo

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 10:03 AM

I'll be watching this thread like a hawk - got a mini in need of a new front end. Aquiring the panels and other bits and bobs over the next few weeks and then having a week or so off work to sort it - hopefully this thread is justin time!!!

#5 sherly

sherly

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 09:18 PM

I'll be interested in this - It'll be nice to see how close I was in my technique when I resprayed my shell. :w00t:

#6 Pooky

Pooky

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,691 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 09:21 PM

Cool!

Can you include what you suggest for colourcoded bulkhead, inner wings and in the front end on flip fronted minis?! As i'm right at this stage and don't know the best way to go!

Nice one :w00t:

#7 [email protected]

[email protected]

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 01:57 PM

I can't wait too Aub - do I get discount as my poor little car is being used as a Model :D If it's anything like the other work you have done for me I will be well chuffed. I will be printing this off as well so that (the driver) Plod can see what he has put the Mini through :D

Part 2 - to follow - painting a Mini Van in Ford Focus ST orange. Yippee

#8 Paintman

Paintman

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 05:17 PM

I can't wait too Aub - do I get discount as my poor little car is being used as a Model :D If it's anything like the other work you have done for me I will be well chuffed. I will be printing this off as well so that (the driver) Plod can see what he has put the Mini through :D

Part 2 - to follow - painting a Mini Van in Ford Focus ST orange. Yippee

For one minute I thought I read DISCOUNT? :D But I must have read it wrong lol. :-

#9 MK_Bob

MK_Bob

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 07:21 PM

I'll be watching this thread like a hawk - got a mini in need of a new front end. Aquiring the panels and other bits and bobs over the next few weeks and then having a week or so off work to sort it - hopefully this thread is justin time!!!

Same here!

Really looking forward to seeing this guide. :D

#10 Paintman

Paintman

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 07:52 PM

Same here!

Really looking forward to seeing this guide. :D

This is the mini that is going to be worked on to show you how to panel, prep and paint. The photo shows the front end still on “ well sort of ”, but I had to remove the panels to see what other damage had been coursed underneath.

Basically it needs a complete new front end including two new inner wings.
Posted Image

Just as a plug the car belongs to Colin at North West Minis.

#11 [email protected]

[email protected]

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 09:38 PM

Oi Aubry - Watch where you put your cup - you might mark the paint :D

The fun thing will be seeing the paint match. The paint is a pearlescent and was originally painted by a bloke using odd pots of paint he had lying around which he mixed to get the colours and the pearl. When he finished this car he threw the remainder away. If your supplier even gets close I will be mightily impressed.

I can't wait to see the mark 1 front end on as well. I can see this being so nice I will want to keep it :D

#12 Baldspeed Racing

Baldspeed Racing

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 03:07 PM

Quality idea and I reckon it will go down a treat, I am looking at spraying my min later in the year and all help will be spot on :dontgetit:

#13 THedooBZ

THedooBZ

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 08:19 AM

make sure you get lots and lots of piccys!!!!

#14 Paintman

Paintman

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 06:08 PM

make sure you get lots and lots of piccys!!!!

Their will be lots of piccys, i'll try and make it as simply as possible so everyone can understand it.
I'm making a start on it tomorrow afternoon, but i won't post anything until its complete which will hopfully be next week sometime.

#15 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 15 March 2006 - 06:33 PM

I am looking forward to seeing this too. I used to do some preperation work (panel fitting and priming etc) but I never had the bottle to properly paint a car myself!

It'll be great to see a guide like that on here! :dontgetit:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users