#1 Zeemax

Zeemax

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 01:48 PM

Hey all.

On my next mini i plan to have discs all round, can anybody tell me what work is involved and how much of it is gonna be needed to complete the change?

Also what brakes are suitable? I was thinking Metro Turbo or GTI brakes but would they fit? Also are they all 4 stud or not?

Thanks ,any info would b good!

#2 bluebottle

bluebottle

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 05:33 PM

i dont know why you'd want discs on the rear, the drum brakes are perfectly adequate.

if you do get round to it, dont even think about fitting the front discs/calipers off the front of another vehicle, these will be far to powerful, and you'll keep locking up the back, even with a bias valve.

if you look at the KAD site, their rear disc conversions are about the same size as go kart discs, and the calipers tiny.the braking effort on the back is minimal, and its not unknown for people not to notice their rear brakes aren't working until the mot.

#3 siggy

siggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 05:37 PM

Metro calipers are not suitable. To be legal and pass an MOT they need to have a mechanical handbrake mechanisam.

Siggy

#4 Zeemax

Zeemax

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 05:38 PM

oh i thought it would be better than drums but if they are ok?

I was only saying becuase if the engines going to be more powerful id need better breaks?

#5 Turbo Phil

Turbo Phil

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts
  • Local Club: Cumbria Classic Mini Club

Posted 21 May 2004 - 08:39 PM

A well set up set of drums on the rear are more than adequate. Think about it, the cars travelling forwards so under braking the most load is applied to the front wheels, the back end becomes lighter, so it's not difficult to lock the back wheels up. Stronger rear brakes will only worsen the situation.
As stated the KAD rear discs are "go Kart size" for the above reason.

Cheers
Phil. :grin:

#6 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 23 May 2004 - 09:23 PM

The rear brakes do very little work and about 80% of the braking is done by the fronts. On some racing Minis they used to blank off the rear brakes and just use the fronts. Rally Minis do need a bit more on the back for 'left-foot-braking' on gravel, but then you just change the spring in the pressure relief valve. If you put discs on the back you would have to fit an adjustable relief valve then get onto a private track to set the thing up, and for that you may need professional help. With rear discs I guess you would get used to spinning in a straight line in the wet when braking hard - rather like handbrake turning. By the way, has anyone ever tried stopping from 60 in the wet using only the handbrake - it's a very interesting exercise to try. Do it only on an empty and wide road!
For Minis driven really hard it's the front brakes that are the problem. For example, the only pads I can get which don't fade are the carbon-metallic ones from Mini Spares Centre. The EBC 'Green Stuff' are useless for really hard driving, as are the Mintex 1144, 1155, etc. Ferodo 3000 are good, but last only about 300 miles of hard driving.
The rear drums are not a problem at all unless you are getting the front discs almost red-hot.

#7 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,921 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 25 May 2004 - 09:58 PM

With rear discs I guess you would get used to spinning in a straight line in the wet when braking hard - rather like handbrake turning

I guess this would be similar to my clubby when it had drums on the front and both nearside wheel cylinders were leaking onto the shoes and drum, causing 180 degree spins when you braked hard in the wet!!

Stick with the drums, as long as they're kept well adjusted, they are absolutely fine.

Tom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users