9 replies to this topic

#1 smartie93

smartie93

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 11:49 AM

Just a quick question, what is this and is it necessary? can i just twist it off and put the oil filter straight on? the engine's from a metro if that helps Thanks

Posted Image

Edited by smartie93, 29 May 2012 - 11:58 AM.

#2 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,379 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 29 May 2012 - 12:14 PM

It's an oil cooler/ heat exchanger (MG Metro) the pipes plumb in to the cooling system. You could remove it, but you'll need a new filter head to use the same oil filters.

#3 smartie93

smartie93

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 01:16 PM

would a standard mini filter fit? the main reason I wanted to get rid of it was that there doesn't seem to be much in the way of clearance to fit the filter, the old one was battered and dented so i removed it before fitting the engine. the bottom hose take off is pretty corroded as well.

where would it plumb into the cooling system? I'm assuming that because there is no standard heater take off that one of the two outlets by the top hose is the heater?

Thanks for the help :)

#4 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,379 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 29 May 2012 - 01:33 PM

The filter head is actually the old canister type, like the automatic.

http://compare.ebay....&var=sbar&cbt=y is what you need. Some companies are making "billet" ones & I dare say the one you have could be adapted.

#5 smartie93

smartie93

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 01:43 PM

Ahhh I get it now, thanks to you mentioning auto, I'm new to manuals haha

Thank you :)

Edited by smartie93, 29 May 2012 - 01:45 PM.

#6 Spitz

Spitz

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 02:49 PM

The filter head is actually the old canister type, like the automatic.

http://compare.ebay....&var=sbar&cbt=y is what you need. Some companies are making "billet" ones & I dare say the one you have could be adapted.

An automatic filter lies horizontal....totally different set-up from what is shown...and totaly different from pre spin on filters ( canisters )

#7 smartie93

smartie93

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:06 PM

Yes but that isn't the point, I was asking if a modern style spin on would fit if i remove the oil heat exchange. I assumed what was meant by "like the automatic" was that the current set up minus the cooler part requires a filter like that of an automatic which consists of a metal sleeve with a replaceable paper element inside, just mounted vertically. so therefore answer to my question: i would need a different filter housing to use the standard spin ons :)

#8 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:03 PM

You usually just need the filter head from a standard Mini, and a new gasket of course. The engine block is drilled identically. You can choose the old style with the can and central bolt, which takes a paper filter, or the later cartridge type, if you fit the appropriate head. In some cases you would need to change the oil feed pipe, and you often need different studs. See http://www.somerford...age=page&id=120

#9 bmcecosse

bmcecosse

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,699 posts
  • Local Club: http://www.srps.org.uk/

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:17 PM

If it will hold water - I would connect it! Goes in the heater circuit - after the heater obviously...

#10 smartie93

smartie93

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:33 PM

If it will hold water - I would connect it! Goes in the heater circuit - after the heater obviously...

Yeah I'll probably end up leaving it on, I suppose if it does leak I could just not connect it to the cooling system and it would act as an elaborate adaptor?

Edited by smartie93, 29 May 2012 - 10:52 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users