#16 conlad

conlad

Previously known as ct16mini.

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,054 posts
  • Local Club: Hilltop Minis

Posted 21 June 2012 - 04:41 PM

Gonna get rid of the switch panel, I remember the absolute pain in the ass that it was when putting it in or taking it off so gonna either get some really thin MDF or some sheet metal and make my own..

Will be exactly the same but attach by two M5/M4 bolts & nuts through the lower dash rail and then cut all the right holes for the switches etc, will look pretty tidy!

Then cover it in carbon fiber wrap after :shades:

#17 conlad

conlad

• Noobies
  • 2,054 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 07:55 PM

Right then, I started making speaker pods tonight :D could of finished them but had no FG resin or mesh which is a pain in the balls, ah well here they are so far

MDF piece mullered!

Posted Image

Equaled this..

Posted Image

Then this..

Posted Image

BUT, the thin supports were **** so got some thicker wood and cut that up..

Posted Image

Then these are the rear pieces with a cut out so wool and mesh can cover the hole.. I saw this here: http://www.theminifo...nd-what-to-buy/ off Ruckus, so hopefully they sound good ;)

Posted Image

Sprayed..

Posted Image

Mock up, plenty of room

Posted Image

Tidy biscuits, resin and filler tomorrow!

Cheers, comments and abuse all welcome ;D

#18 Ruckus

Ruckus

Ice Ice Baby!!!

• Members
  • 2,071 posts
  • Local Club: SMOC

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:04 PM

If your going AP with the design (as you are), then you really want to have the enclouser tighter to speaker really ... Sorry

#19 conlad

conlad

• Noobies
  • 2,054 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:14 PM

No problemo, how much closer would you say?? The supports are 115mm..

Also, can I place the back of the pod close to metal or should there be a space of 'x' amount....??

Edited by conlad, 26 June 2012 - 09:22 PM.

#20 freshairmini

freshairmini

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts
  • Local Club: Winchester Area Mini Owners

Posted 27 June 2012 - 12:02 PM

You need the depth to be as deep as the speakers plus 40mm according to that post you linked to.

I did read on line that you can actually make it quite close to the speaker, as long as there is enough gap for the air to vent out around the magnet over the hole on the back plate.

Read here for a bit of info on Aperiodic enclosures. AP Enclosures

Edited by freshairmini, 27 June 2012 - 12:02 PM.

#21 Ruckus

Ruckus

Ice Ice Baby!!!

• Members
  • 2,071 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:31 PM

The last pair I made was about 15mm from the magnet back to the base/mesh for the AP Panel. They sound like they are in 40 litre doors, so what ever the 'techs' say this design worked.. ask Howgudami ;D

#22 conlad

conlad

• Noobies
  • 2,054 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:48 PM

Yeah, I'd say there is about 15mm of space now as I've shortened them.. I've used fiberglass matting (loft stuff) for the membrane as recommended by a website in found earlier.. I will post pics later.. just gotta do the resin now then happy days :)

#23 freshairmini

freshairmini

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts
  • Local Club: Winchester Area Mini Owners

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:52 PM

The last pair I made was about 15mm from the magnet back to the base/mesh for the AP Panel. They sound like they are in 40 litre doors, so what ever the 'techs' say this design worked.. ask Howgudami ;D

Oh I wasn't saying they weren't good, when I did mine they sounded brilliant. Just that this kind of enclosure lends it self to economical sizing. From what I read you can "tune" the vent with differing layers of the wadding to give a different sound, depending on the speakers requirements. By the sounds of it tho, its kind of suck it and see to get the best sound.

#24 Ruckus

Ruckus

Ice Ice Baby!!!

• Members
  • 2,071 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 03:23 PM

Yeah, I'd say there is about 15mm of space now as I've shortened them.. I've used fiberglass matting (loft stuff) for the membrane as recommended by a website in found earlier.. I will post pics later.. just gotta do the resin now then happy days :)

Sounds good :D

#25 conlad

conlad

• Noobies
  • 2,054 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 03:30 PM

Cheers man :D thanks for the advice off the other persons thread as it helped me make my pods

#26 A362 TTU

A362 TTU

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:34 PM

aha they do give a really nice sound!. Still missing bass in my car though :(...

Conlad its looking good, just shorten those pods - the way they are plus the stilts to raise the back of the pod off the mounting points would make them stick out really far.

I can measure my pods depth if you like (or Ruckus might remember seen as he made them) - although i dont know how valuable this would be as my mids are different,

#27 Ruckus

Ruckus

Ice Ice Baby!!!

• Members
  • 2,071 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:09 PM

aha they do give a really nice sound!. Still missing bass in my car though :(...

Conlad its looking good, just shorten those pods - the way they are plus the stilts to raise the back of the pod off the mounting points would make them stick out really far.

I can measure my pods depth if you like (or Ruckus might remember seen as he made them) - although i dont know how valuable this would be as my mids are different,

Sub time...

#28 A362 TTU

A362 TTU

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:07 PM

Sub time...

Still cant justify the cost of doing it properly... and dont want to do a naf job for £20 lol.
my dads had a freelander 2 now with an OEM Alpine stereo inc a 6.5in sub - kicks well for its size even in the big car (made me notice the lack in mine even more).

Anyway... musnt go off topic!.

#29 conlad

conlad

• Noobies
  • 2,054 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:08 PM

Hows this...

Posted Image

#30 A362 TTU

A362 TTU

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:25 PM

Not sure really, Ruckus will know for sure.

My gut instinct is to go 1cm or so closer.

Where abouts in Bridgenorth are you from? its a lovely place! took my girlfriend there on valentines day and im passing through again iin July (camping trip in Ludlow) - Im from Cannock Chase area.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users