#1 plantfitterRich

plantfitterRich

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • Local Club: not sure yet!

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:01 PM

Hi. I currently work at an airport as a mechanic, a position for a workshop manager come up and my manager suggested that I would be a strong candidate and should apply, that I did and had the interview. Everything went well in the interview all questions answered professionally and confidently, just waiting to hear back on wed. Anyway ... Since applying and having the interview I'm having second thoughts, I enjoy my job and get on with work mates. It would be about an 80% office and 20% spanners split. Can I hack the office environment? I'm not sure lol.

Who has moved up the ranks?, how did your work mates treat you now your management ?

#2 minimarco

minimarco

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:42 PM

I work from contract to contract animating around town at different studios, so I work with the same group of people all the time. It didn't really affect anything, we still hung out and have lunch and coffee breaks together. The only thing was, what I loved was animation, and telling people how they should animate is not the same as actually doing it. That's why I climbed back down again. The trick is to not get a pay cut while doing so lol.

I'm not sure if it's the same in your industry, but I just have to ask for the wage that I feel is reasonable, regardless of position. the wage depends on my demo reel and experience more than what my title is.

Oh and congratulations.

Edited by minimarco, 18 June 2012 - 11:47 PM.

#3 twink

twink

Speeding Along Now

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:56 AM

I moved up, some people were fine, some resented me having more responsibility. I wanted the progression so I figured it was their issue.

#4 Black.Ghost

Black.Ghost

Formerly known as TneMini.

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:14 AM

You might find that the ones that have the problem are the ones who couldn't do it themselves. I got a promotion really quickly in a previous job (just to supervisor not manager) and one of the girls who had been there for sometime was a right pain. I wasn't even her supervisor!

But good luck with it. Some people are naturally better leaders. It's not a reflection on the others at all and as long as you don't become a ******* about things they should be fine. If you make decisions, remember the guys you used to work with. You have a responsibility to the company, and the guys you work with. Making decisions to look good in front of more senior managers is not good, and there are many people that ould do that. Power goes to people's heads!

#5 crispdust

crispdust

On The Road

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Local Club: None

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:27 AM

Congratulations, Go for it! It might be a bit scary but at least you're getting recognition. My direct boss is the MD so I can't move up. My job title remains the same, as does my pay, but I get more stress and pressure piled on on what feels like a daily basis. I can't go up, so I'm looking for out...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users