#1 surfblue63

surfblue63

TMF fantasy F1 winner 2012

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
  • Local Club: MCR Newcastle & Durham

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:58 PM

I had a dig around in my loft and found a photo album from over 20 years ago. In the album were a few of my Volkswagens that I owned in the 1980's

First up is my first car. This started life as a standard 1300 Beetle. Shortly after passing my test I had a bit of a samsh in it and stuffed the front end in. After seeing a picture in an old issue of Custom Car I thought I'd make into a Baja Bug. A kit was purchased from a company called Autocarvan and I spent the winter of 1981-82 in the garage sticking the kit on the car. I brush painted the whole thing using coach enamel, which wasn't to bad (after 4 under coats and 4 top coats). These pictures are from the 1982 Volkswagen Action at Stoneleigh (was the best VW show for years).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Next car of note was an attempt at Cal Look with this 1200 Beetle. It's pretty stock with Sway-a-Ways on the front, turned splines on the back and shaved trim. Finished off with a coat of Ford Signal Yellow.

Posted Image

This shot was taken when I went on the first Run To The Sun when it was at Fistral Beach (1987 I think).

Posted Image

Here's my old Bay Window on holiday in Wales, before going to VW Action in 1989.

Posted Image

And finally the one I sometimes wish I still had, my 1963 Ruby Red Beetle.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I did have a host of other Beetles (2 1500's, another 1300 and a 1303S), a couple of Type 3's (Square and Fastback versions) and even a Type 4 (412 LE). Most were rotten heaps that were purchased for engines and parts (usually for about £50), but some where quite tidy.

#2 minimaxie

minimaxie

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,687 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 02:00 PM

surf these images are awesome! thankyou for uploading :D i adore that Baja Bug! I wish i had one of my own! espescially as a first car lol

EDIT: i bet that 63 is worth a pretty penny now

Edited by minimaxie, 06 July 2012 - 02:02 PM.

#3 surfblue63

surfblue63

• Members
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 02:07 PM

It only became a Baja by accident! I was happy driving it around and slowly modding it. The day after passing my test I removed the bumpers and hub caps. I removed all the chrome trim and filled in all the holes (with P38 filler!), and I started repainting yellow with rattle cans after I had to replace one of the doors. I then crashed it and built it into the Baja.
I drove it around like that for2 years, but eventually sold it because I was getting fed up with being pulled by the plod all the time and it had a very bad case of rotten heater channels. I think I got £100 for it from this young lad. I never did see it again.

#4 minimaxie

minimaxie

• Members
  • 1,687 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 02:09 PM

well thats a wicked story nonetheless. howcomes you kept getting pulled over if you dont mind me asking? ah thats sad, I hope someone had the decently to restore it back to a nice looking Baja :-)

#5 surfblue63

surfblue63

• Members
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 02:17 PM

The close head lamps caused the plod to get confused. A law came in 1971 or 1972 regarding the distance headlamps could be from the edge of the vehicle. My car was first registerd just before the change, so I was within the construction and use regulations. They also didn't like the exposed engine, but as I had a cover over the fan belt that was OK. I got pulled by a bike cop once who thought it might be illegal for me to have motorcycle silencers, mine were Dunstall Megaphones popular with old British bikers, but yet again no ticket or fine.
I also used to get pulled for "speeding" all the time, but I was never prosecuted. They just wanted to give me a producer (before PNC came in, if you didn't have your documents with you, you had to produce them at a Police station within 5 days) and waste my time. I guess it's still the same now when plod see youngsters in their modded cars having a bit of fun, they just hassle them for something to do.

Edited by surfblue63, 06 July 2012 - 02:20 PM.

#6 Steely

Steely

• Members
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 02:19 PM

Nice cars man! What got you to change to mini's?

#7 surfblue63

surfblue63

• Members
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 02:26 PM

In 1985 I went and bought this, brand new from a showroom.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I kept it for about 8 months and 14,000 miles. It was just so small and I kept banging my head on the roof when belting down country lanes.
About this time VolksWorld appeared on news stands and I went back to VW's. Then buying houses and have kids meant everything was sold for sensible stuff.

Fast foward 20 odd years and I was looking for a car for my son and bought a 1993 Mini Sprite. After driving it home I was reminded what fun they were to drive. 5 years later I still have the Sprite, you may have seen it on here now and again. As the Sprite was not finished for my sons 17th birthday, he ended up with a Mini Mayfair which I had found.

Edited by surfblue63, 06 July 2012 - 02:28 PM.

#8 classicminidriver

classicminidriver

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 02:30 PM

i've always wanted to own a beetle but never got round to it, I have owned a bay window vw camper though as my daily driver back when petrol was cheap! :)

#9 minimaxie

minimaxie

• Members
  • 1,687 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 02:46 PM

The close head lamps caused the plod to get confused. A law came in 1971 or 1972 regarding the distance headlamps could be from the edge of the vehicle. My car was first registerd just before the change, so I was within the construction and use regulations. They also didn't like the exposed engine, but as I had a cover over the fan belt that was OK. I got pulled by a bike cop once who thought it might be illegal for me to have motorcycle silencers, mine were Dunstall Megaphones popular with old British bikers, but yet again no ticket or fine.
I also used to get pulled for "speeding" all the time, but I was never prosecuted. They just wanted to give me a producer (before PNC came in, if you didn't have your documents with you, you had to produce them at a Police station within 5 days) and waste my time. I guess it's still the same now when plod see youngsters in their modded cars having a bit of fun, they just hassle them for something to do.

ah I see, yeah I can imagine them being a lil bit concerned with the engine being right out the back lol. haha back in the day when you would just get a slap on the wrist then on your way. Yeah thats true, I see too much of it around my area.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users