#16 stretch tech

stretch tech

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts
  • Local Club: A5 & Mini Mainiacs

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:59 PM

hi all, i haven't update this thread of the progress i've made recently so here goes...i got some more automotive wire and rewired the inner speakers and now they work great :D i'll have to get a video up when i next get chance.

i refiited the speaker board and the rest of the interior and it blends in with the colour scheme nicely :proud:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

all i need to do now is run the usb lead up the back of the dash and i'll be finished :D

Rhys

#17 TehMarchant

TehMarchant

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:39 PM

Did you ever sort out the video fella?

#18 stretch tech

stretch tech

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:42 PM

wow i haven't checked here in ages :L and no sorry mate i didn't but i'm just in the midst of buying a 12 inch sub/amp to add to my install so I will make sure i get one up once that's done for you. my stuff should hopefully be all brought and here this week so i can get the install done over Easter :D

Rhys

#19 stretch tech

stretch tech

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:14 AM

right, as promised - i picked up this little massive beauty yesterday for a steal at £25 new :D its taller than what i expected though lol but i have measured the boot and it should fit where i want it just nicely :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

xbox 360 controller just for a scale reference. i also managed to pick up a couple of square metres of 18mm marine ply which should make for a solid enough box lol also got some nice black carpet left over from when i did the boot and speaker board. just got to buy my amp and wiring kit now but i doubt it'll get here during my few days of so it looks like its going to be next weekend for the build instead.

Rhys

#20 stretch tech

stretch tech

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:15 AM

oh and get a hold of some more of that sound deadening material ive used lol

#21 stretch tech

stretch tech

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 05:49 PM

hi all, today i got the mini out in the sun and decided to start measuring up for a sub enclosure - i'm making it out of marine ply and if anyone has a template or pics of how they have made theirs it would be a great help.

ive also got some more of the sound deadening i used and some thick rubber sheet which im also going to use as sound deadening and to put between the amp and either the rear seat bulk head or boot board depending on where i choose to mount it - any recommendations ?

one more question - should i get a bass control dial for in the cabin or not ?

Rhys

Edited by stretch tech, 30 March 2013 - 05:50 PM.

#22 stretch tech

stretch tech

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:44 PM

hi all, i got home thursday to find this waiting

Posted Image

can't believe how fast this delivery was, i only ordered it tuesday night :proud:

Posted Image

ground zero amp 1080w peak 540wrms max 2 channel bridgeable for my sub - a warning was enclosed in the packaging which said that this audio equipment is capable of producing live concert levels of sound........ excellent :shifty:

Posted Image

ground zero 8 awg 60 amp wiring kit, going on the labeling of the packaging it seems different but the tech specs are correct so i assume it is the same

Posted Image

got some cardboard, some steel mesh to make a grill and worked out all the dimensions for the enclosure so now i have everything to build up my install just waiting for my remote bass control dial to arrive but that can be added on later so i hope to get the install done this weekend

also the tax disc arrived yesterday so cliff is finally legal to go on the road, i feel a drive coming on :gimme:

Rhys

Edited by stretch tech, 06 April 2013 - 08:46 PM.

#23 stretch tech

stretch tech

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:48 PM

hi all, started making my sub box today, after a good few hours of making a card template for an enclosure over the wheel arch, i realised it wasn't going great and decided it would take far to long to make and probably wouldn't work very well so i decided to go for a simpler design that is removable if i need to use the boot and would probably be stronger to hold the sub. it also means that i don't have to move the boot light or isolator or make a new boot board and i can now easliy make it the right volume inside for the sub (one cubic foot)

this is our efforts so far but because it wasn't started till later on in the day, it isn't finished yet

Posted Image

18mm marine ply should be solid enough lol

Posted Image

the hole for the sub needs cutting out and the top fixing on but we left it off for now so we could seal all the joins with silicone and let it dry over night. The sub will be facing out toward the boot lid as it doesn't really fit in the side very well :L but at least this way i don't really need to put a grill over it like i was going to, i may still do it but i need to find out how far the cone will move out of the face of the sub before hand. this will all be finished tomorrow and i might get a video up if i remember to :L lol

this WILL be finished tomorrow if all goes to plan

Rhys

Edited by stretch tech, 06 April 2013 - 08:50 PM.

#24 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,025 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Local Club: A5 minis

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:51 PM

Looking good!

Off to any shows this year Rhys? Mine is up for MOT Thursday so should be ready for the new season. Not sure which shows the other A5 lads are on for yet.

#25 stretch tech

stretch tech

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 09:23 PM

cheers bud and yes we are going to pretty much all of the big ones this year (stanford, uttoxeter, santapod, himley etc) with the mini and malvern next weekend, fingers crossed for you :) we will have to go and get a club stand :P

Rhys

#26 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,025 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Local Club: A5 minis

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:40 AM

cheers bud and yes we are going to pretty much all of the big ones this year (stanford, uttoxeter, santapod, himley etc) with the mini and malvern next weekend, fingers crossed for you :) we will have to go and get a club stand :P

Rhys

Cheers, not sure about Malvern yet as I have a busy few days coming up. Will give you a shout if I am going.

#27 stretch tech

stretch tech

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:41 PM

okay then Clive :proud:

Edited by stretch tech, 07 April 2013 - 07:41 PM.

#28 stretch tech

stretch tech

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:37 PM

right hi again all, another solid day working on this install lol first off we finished of the enclosure by fixing on the top, cutting out the hole for the sub, feeding the wire through and leaving all the silicone to dry

Posted Image

then we fitted the amp to the bulk head a wired it all up to the variable side of the isolator and ran the rca cable though the cabin (round the gap between the rear seat back and the quarter panel - don't worry i've made sure it is protected from sharp edges and curves round bends rather than kinks) you can see the bullet connectors on the speaker wire by the arch which will make for quick removal if i need the extra boot space for whatever reason

Posted Image

the amp has been mounted over the recess in the the rear bulkhead to get some extra clearance for cooling

Posted Image

then we wrapped the box in the same carpet as the boot and rear speaker board

Posted Image

and then finally fitted the woofer - very snazzy i think :P

Posted Image

just as we were finishing off fitting the sub my neighbourgh came over and gave me this

Posted Image

been sat in his loft for a while and just let me have it and it's a 12 inch .... typical :mmkay: any one know anything about the brand or specs of the sub ? anyway we put the sub box in, its a tight fit but it is removable - just

Posted Image

and put all my spares, jack a tools back in and well it's safe to say no big shopping trips with the sub in situ lol

Posted Image

we then went to give it a test, the radio came on and set it to enable the sub and..... nothing O_O after fiddling around with fixings and connectors we called it a night - gutted :X however, after looking back through every line of the radio and amp booklets i think i may have found the problem - someone (not naming names here) has forgot to wire in the remote antenna feed that tells the amp to switch on :tumble: oops :shy: luckily there is one built into the beading that separates the rca positive and negatives so the wire is already in place and just needs extending and connecting. looks like i have err i mean who ever forgot this has got away with their mistake lol

so unfortunately no video of panel rattling yet but it will get done, i just want to here my new toy for the first time now :lol:

Rhys

#29 Ruckus

Ruckus

Ice Ice Baby!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,071 posts
  • Local Club: SMOC

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:12 AM

That's a Rockford Fosgate sub.

Rickford WAS car audio in the 80 and 90's super high end many many top flight Sound Off champions.
But then they went for the mass market and it all turned to shat.
That sub is a product of the shift to a bigger market and it's ok but nothing to write home about.

Get it out of the box and get a model number, it might worth using instead of the JBL.

Oh and great work on everything else, although I think that boot will need some sounddeadening now! :D

#30 se_juggles

se_juggles

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:28 AM

That's a Rockford Fosgate sub.

Rickford WAS car audio in the 80 and 90's super high end many many top flight Sound Off champions.
But then they went for the mass market and it all turned to shat.
That sub is a product of the shift to a bigger market and it's ok but nothing to write home about.

Get it out of the box and get a model number, it might worth using instead of the JBL.

Oh and great work on everything else, although I think that boot will need some sounddeadening now! :D

or a stronger lock if he turns it up to loud! lol.

Edited by se_juggles, 09 April 2013 - 06:28 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users