Find an 'economy' gearset ;-)

#17 CMXCVIII

CMXCVIII

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:20 PM

Has anyone [Colotti, Jack Knight] ever built a 5-speed cluster in a Mini sump that really worked and, more than that, lasted any length of time?

#18 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,036 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:32 PM

if you can do 100 mph with a stage 1 do you really need a 5 speed gearbox if you cruise at 70?

You can't do 100 mph with a 'stage 1'. You need 80 bhp and a 3.44 FDR to do 100 mph in a Mini and that's more power than a standard Cooper 'S' has.

#19 classicminidriver

classicminidriver

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:55 PM

if you can do 100 mph with a stage 1 do you really need a 5 speed gearbox if you cruise at 70?

You can't do 100 mph with a 'stage 1'. You need 80 bhp and a 3.44 FDR to do 100 mph in a Mini and that's more power than a standard Cooper 'S' has.

Someone posted proof of doing 100 with a stage 1...oh well means you can't trust you own eyes lol

#20 lapider

lapider

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • Local Club: cardiff mini club

Posted 16 July 2012 - 11:34 PM

Someone posted proof of doing 100 with a stage 1...oh well means you can't trust you own eyes lol

yes but this doesn't take into consideration the large hill he was properly driving down or any speedo inaccuracy. i know as ive hit the limiter (meaning the edge of the speedo past 90 mph on the speedo) in my mini stage 1 998 and the sat nav said actual speed 82.

#21 mini 4o

mini 4o

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  • Local Club: corfu mini's

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:04 AM

Has anyone [Colotti, Jack Knight] ever built a 5-speed cluster in a Mini sump that really worked and, more than that, lasted any length of time?

hi
i have a jack knight , with 3.44 cross pin diff ,fitted when me 40 was new 1999, touch wood no trouble,

john (sunny corfu 29.6 in the shade)

#22 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,795 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:39 AM

I have a Minispares 5-speed box......been fitted 12+ years and touch wood no problems.

OHC A-Series (instead of the A+ makeover) and the 5-speed Mini gearbox should have been introduced in 1980 when the Metro was launched and the production volumes were still there.......as always BL had the engineers and working prototypes but not enough money to invest in introducing these much needed improvements.

Edited by mab01uk, 17 July 2012 - 11:50 AM.

#23 MaxAndPaddy

MaxAndPaddy

Spamela Anderson

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,700 posts
  • Name: Elvis
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:45 AM

The Jack Knights tend to eat themselves >_< ....we did consider putting one in Paddy as it was an optional extra, but decided not!!

#24 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,409 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:25 PM

I wonder, if you add up all the lateral thinking done in sheds 'n backstreet machine shops that goes into Minis across the globe, how it would compare to what you get from a major manufacturer or pro motor sports team!

Some thoughts on the Turbo Minis discussion:

The gearbox is only one bit of the transmission, bikes have taller tyres, and Minis have different final drives. Once you've sorted that out, a 6-7000rpm, 650kg car with 6 gears spread over 120mph might be a closer match to a 10k+ revving bike that's geared to 180mph.

The torque the box sees isn't (directly) about weight, it's that "equal 'n opposite" Isaac Newton thing - If you can rip the tyres off the road that's where the limit is. A crude, but valid, guide would be how the bike goes up the strip in comparison to your drag Mini.

#25 Mini_Magic

Mini_Magic

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:38 PM

I can't possibly see how an extra gear can be worth £2k, unless it's for a professional racing championship or something.

Minis doing 100mph with just a stage 1! :lol:

#26 Jake Didsbury

Jake Didsbury

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • Local Club: Barnsley Mini Club

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:17 PM

Ive done 100 in my mpi cooper as stated by the satnav showed over 100 on the speedo obviously due to the inaccuracy

Also I think people tend to (as I first did) get the impression that the mini is really revving at 70 on the motorway, but but but, If you look at the rev counter of most cars they will be around 3000 rpm ish at 70 I think it gives the impression of revving its nuts of due to the lack of sound proofing

#27 essexdaz

essexdaz

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:22 PM

My normaly asparated 998 has 78 bhp, but then it's not got a stage one kit on it.

#28 CMXCVIII

CMXCVIII

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:11 PM

hi
i have a jack knight , with 3.44 cross pin diff ,fitted when me 40 was new 1999, touch wood no trouble,

john (sunny corfu 29.6 in the shade)

I have a Minispares 5-speed box......been fitted 12+ years and touch wood no problems.

The Jack Knights tend to eat themselves >_< ....we did consider putting one in Paddy as it was an optional extra, but decided not!!

Thanks for that. Perhaps I'd only read ancient magazines, but I formed the impression that squeezing five narrower gearsets into the space where four used to go left things all a bit fragile!

Anyway it was only curiousity! I don't need five gears - my Stage 1 tuned 998 is waaaay too quick for me as it is! :lol:

#29 nafnaforiginal12

nafnaforiginal12

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts
  • Local Club: Cumbria Mini Cruisers

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:58 PM

QUOTE:
END OF QUOTE

Sorry to hijack but I've had 105mph from my mini with a 1293cc spi and 3.1 diff. Can u guess my power from that because I don't have a clue what it is.
Cheers :)

#30 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,409 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:17 AM

Cooperman's right if we're talking neutral condition (flat & windless), a downhill slope & a tail wind can have a big effect.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users